Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5 Dec 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3868061)   #151
Dave Brand
Veteran
 
Dave Brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Posts: 6,347
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Am I the only person on the planet that doesn't get the point of SUV's?

No you're not! It's not often I agree with Jeremy Clarkson, but he hit the nail on the head with this:

“You get the same amount of interior space as you would in a normal hatchback but because of the extra weight and tallness, you get less performance and terrible fuel economy.
The trouble is that, these days, absolutely everyone wants a hatchback on stilts. They all want a commanding view of the road. And they don’t realise that soon it won’t be commanding at all, because everyone will be at the same height. Which means cars will have to keep on getting taller and taller until you need a ladder to get inside. And instead of airbags, you’ll have a parachute.
The other problem is that crossover mini SUVs, or whatever it is they’re called, are all extremely dreary to drive. And look at. And be near. I really genuinely hate them.”

Car & Driver headed its driving impressions of the Nissan Kicks, which replaces the Puke in the US:

"Here's another one: Nissan's Kicks subcompact crossover is exactly what the world wants. Alas

Last edited by Dave Brand; 5 Dec 2018 at 15:24.
Dave Brand is offline  
__________________
Doing an important job doesn't make you an important person.
Quote
Old 5 Dec 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3868062)   #152
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran
 
FIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Netherlands
Posts: 16,783
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Because people like them because better visibility and easier to get in and out the car.
FIRE is offline  
Quote
Old 5 Dec 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3868063)   #153
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran
 
FIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Netherlands
Posts: 16,783
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
No you're not! It's not often I agree with Jeremy Clarkson, but he hit the nail on the head with this:
“You get the same amount of interior space as you would in a normal hatchback but because of the extra weight and tallness, you get less performance and terrible fuel economy.
The trouble is that, these days, absolutely everyone wants a hatchback on stilts. They all want a commanding view of the road. And they don’t realise that soon it won’t be commanding at all, because everyone will be at the same height. Which means cars will have to keep on getting taller and taller until you need a ladder to get inside. And instead of airbags, you’ll have a parachute.
The other problem is that crossover mini SUVs, or whatever it is they’re called, are all extremely dreary to drive. And look at. And be near. I really genuinely hate them.”




Car & Driver, headed its driving impressions of the Nissan Kicks, which replaces the Puke in the US:

"Here's another one: Nissan's Kicks subcompact crossover is exactly what the world wants. Alas
A Google search shows he uses Range Rover and Volvo SUV's as his private cars...
FIRE is offline  
Quote
Old 5 Dec 2018, 16:07 (Ref:3868077)   #154
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Mike Harte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Posts: 2,816
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
A Google search shows he uses Range Rover and Volvo SUV's as his private cars...

Yes, that's true. However, he has done so for decades, possibly, no make that probably, because he lives out in the country on an estate that also includes his own farm. Plus he has, or had, a gaggle of dogs, and both of those cars are ideal carriages for the environment that he spends most of his time in.
Mike Harte is offline  
Quote
Old 5 Dec 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3868108)   #155
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 11,002
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
It’s should be horses for courses, surely. Trouble is, a vast proportion of the car buying public have been brainwashed into believing they have to have an SUV, crossover or whatever, despite the disadvantages quoted above!

Different if you need to tow 3.5 tonnes, traverse the Sahara or a nearer equivalent, are a livestock farmer, have several Old English sheepdogs, or.....
Mike Bell is offline  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 6 Dec 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3868281)   #156
NaBUru38
Veteran
 
NaBUru38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Posts: 7,868
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Yes, that's true. However, he has done so for decades, possibly, no make that probably, because he lives out in the country on an estate that also includes his own farm. Plus he has, or had, a gaggle of dogs, and both of those cars are ideal carriages for the environment that he spends most of his time in.
He could have picked an Outback or V90 Cross Country.
NaBUru38 is offline  
__________________
"Show me a driver who didn’t make a handful of errors this year, and I’ll show you someone who wasn’t trying hard enough." - David Malsher
Quote
Old 6 Dec 2018, 16:29 (Ref:3868314)   #157
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Mike Harte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Posts: 2,816
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
He could have picked an Outback or V90 Cross Country.

I think that you will find that his "choice" is actually made by the car manufacturers. Most of his "runaround" cars are provided free of charge in anticipation of glowing press reports.
Mike Harte is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyl - New Year, New Drivers, New Focus RaceTime Australasian Touring Cars. 56 19 Feb 2004 04:43
US cars are fine: SUVs suck! Osella Road Car Forum 40 19 Jun 2003 21:35
New weekend new chances! Rossifumi Bike Racing 2 7 Apr 2000 15:58


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 22:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.