Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Closed Thread

Old 13 Oct 2011, 00:45 (Ref:2970216)   #26
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Page 5: http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public...01.01.2011.pdf

Summary: there are only international and national series. Most obvious difference is that in a national series only one race can be outside of the country (and even then has to have common/maritime border). So, at least LMS can't be national series. ALMS could be, but I really don't think it is. At least it sure wasn't in 2000-2001 with races in Europe and Australia in addition to Canada.

Just about every series that accepts LMP2 cars/has LMP2 class... So, really it reads like "in the WEC, ALMS or LMS". I'm fairly sure about this.
Problem is, the FIA does not sanction ALMS or LMS... IMSA sanctions ALMS, while LMEO (Le Mans Endurance Organization, co-owned by Patrick Peter and ACO) sanctions the LMS.

The FIA is only involved with the WEC (from a sanctioning standpoint), as it stands now... They do, however, help enforce the ACO technical regulations, primarily on the GT side of things.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2970226)   #27
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I know what you mean but isn't there still the other type of "sanctioning" which is what FIA does with almost every event and series. Are you 100% sure this isn't just (at least for me) confusing use of the word?

Anyway and if you're right - weirdly, LMS is on this calendar listing "2011 International Series": http://fia.com/en-GB/sport/calendar/Pages/circuit1.aspx. ALMS isn't.

Last edited by deggis; 13 Oct 2011 at 01:51.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2970610)   #28
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19dodge View Post
This is what the rule says, verbatim, from the latest technical bulletin:

"The manufacturer must be able to sell within a reasonable time, and subject to firm orders, at least 5 cars every year. Each model of car must be sold by the manufacturer to a private team (at least 1 car) entered in the World Endurance Championship or any other International Series sanctioned by the FIA ".

Make your own interpretations...
Could it be that the bold wording is just to imply that you can't have factory teams in P2. That is why there is emphasis on sales?
Old 13 Oct 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2970616)   #29
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mentioned in Autosport DAMS are planning a sportscar return in 2012 and are looking at everything from P1 to GTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Could it be that the bold wording is just to imply that you can't have factory teams in P2. That is why there is emphasis on sales?
Reading that again it does sound like a rule to prevent a factory car/favoured team with unique equipement, rather than a rule to ensure a P2 is entered in the WEC.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2970638)   #30
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Be nice to have DAMS back again ..... excellant team with a great pedigree .
Old 13 Oct 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2970669)   #31
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Be nice to have DAMS back again ..... excellant team with a great pedigree .
They helped run the United Autosports entry at Petit, don't know if that sways their interest to a certain category or make for sure, but it is experience.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2970687)   #32
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely Porsche will find it necessary to have a factory backed effort in GTE-Pro for 2012? That was one of the big surpises this year for me, I thought for sure they would have backed one of the top teams.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2970723)   #33
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Mentioned in Autosport DAMS are planning a sportscar return in 2012 and are looking at everything from P1 to GTE.Reading that again it does sound like a rule to prevent a factory car/favoured team with unique equipement, rather than a rule to ensure a P2 is entered in the WEC.
As far as DAMS goes, the article (I forget from which source) discussing United's future plans said something in regard to United wanting to work wit DAMS again in the future. Anyway, didn't DAMS have a LMPC program last year? It's not like they've been far removed from the game.

As far as the P2 stuff is concerned, the "at least 1 car" thing does not sound like it is a factory team restriction but rather a directive. Of course, what the rule says and what it means could be two different stories. It would not surprise me at all if the ACO is shaking a little bit about the prospect of a very low grid size for the WEC next year. Obviously, Sebring, Le Mans, and the other European rounds should be ok.

In other related news, E-I had an article yesterday saying that Boutsen Energy was evaluating whether to go down a LMS or WEC option next year. It seemed to me that the wording was pointing more toward LMS being option 1, but we'll see.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 22:08 (Ref:2970744)   #34
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Surely Porsche will find it necessary to have a factory backed effort in GTE-Pro for 2012? That was one of the big surpises this year for me, I thought for sure they would have backed one of the top teams.
Agreed. I know it's not the biggest of races but Zhuhai coming up just has a single Porsche competing. Not good enough. They must realise its value given they have committed to an all out LMP1 entry so I'd expect something next year in terms of GTE.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2970784)   #35
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
As far as DAMS goes, the article (I forget from which source) discussing United's future plans said something in regard to United wanting to work wit DAMS again in the future. Anyway, didn't DAMS have a LMPC program last year? It's not like they've been far removed from the game.

As far as the P2 stuff is concerned, the "at least 1 car" thing does not sound like it is a factory team restriction but rather a directive. Of course, what the rule says and what it means could be two different stories. It would not surprise me at all if the ACO is shaking a little bit about the prospect of a very low grid size for the WEC next year. Obviously, Sebring, Le Mans, and the other European rounds should be ok.

In other related news, E-I had an article yesterday saying that Boutsen Energy was evaluating whether to go down a LMS or WEC option next year. It seemed to me that the wording was pointing more toward LMS being option 1, but we'll see.
United Autosports had a full page ad this week promoting their second place finish at PLM. The DAMS story was about themselves running a car(s), seeing as they are current GP2 champions and looking to expand into FR3.5 they'd have no problem competing with the very best in P1.

Next year the ACO are predicting 35 full season entries so you'd expect growth in P2. Assuming you have the budget and can fit business commitments around the schedule (key for amateurs in P2), I don't see how winning overall in the LMS is a greater attraction than being part of the WEC.

Signatec with Nissan backing have shown a WEC/ILMC P2 program can provide real marketing value while Estoril showed how an LMS race can go almost unnoticed if they don't sort their media package. With a modest budget the LMS is a great option but if I had a state-of-the-art £1m+ P2 set-up I'd want to compete in races that mean something..............if only to serve my ego.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2970785)   #36
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Next year the ACO are predicting 35 full season entries so you'd expect growth in P2. Assuming you have the budget and can fit business commitments around the schedule (key for amateurs in P2), I don't see how winning overall in the LMS is a greater attraction than being part of the WEC.

Signatec with Nissan backing have shown a WEC/ILMC P2 program can provide real marketing value while Estoril showed how an LMS race can go almost unnoticed if they don't sort their media package. With a modest budget the LMS is a great option but if I had a state-of-the-art £1m+ P2 set-up I'd want to compete in races that mean something..............if only to serve my ego.
Signatech has a pretty unique marketing situation with the GT Academy (or whatever it is called) tie-in. That said, they could probably get the same buzz from racing in other series as well. It's a unique story and the relative success Ordonez has had has definitely helped sell the story.

Frankly, if I had P2 equipment, the WEC would be the last thing I would do. LMS would be a great option. There are some great teams competing in LMP2 in the LMS and the car count should be pretty good. Plus, they would be kings of the castle. Yes, it would be a small castle and who knows if they'll even have TV coverage (something that is also shaky with the WEC), but it would still be a great thrill for privateers. Even if the WEC has sufficient TV coverage, LMP2 will be ignored almost fully.

The ALMS could be an attractive option for P2 as well. Granted, there aren't any American full-time P2 teams aside from Level 5 and European teams aren't going to go to America. Still, LMP1 may still be weak in the ALMS so maybe P2 teams could compete for overall wins. Maybe the ALMS will give P1 teams such a performance break that it'll be tough for P2 teams to give the P1 teams a straight up fight, but I think it is certainly possible.

As far as the 35 number for the WEC next year, I'm not so sure. We'll see. Let's say there are 35 or more and WEC teams are forced to qualify their way into Sebring. How are they going to determine whose speeds are eligible to be bumped?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2970971)   #37
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well according to recent news WEC will have:

Audi R18

Peugeot 908

HPD (Honda) ARX-03 a

Toyota LMP1

So considering the 2 car/team rule and some especulation:

Audi R18 Work´s team - 2 cars

Audi ABT /Custom team - 1 car

Peugeot 908 Work´s team - 2 cars

Oreca Peugeot 908 - 1 car

Strakka Racing HPD - 2 cars

Toyota Work´s team - 2 cars ( not all races)

Did any other team confirm their presence in LMP1????
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:27 (Ref:2970974)   #38
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Where did you read that Strakka will enter two cars?

OAK racing should normally continue in ILMC WEC and Rebellion might as well.

I highly doubt that we will see a Audi customer team.

BTW http://mariantic.co.uk/lmp/WEC2012.asp has a list with possible WEC entries.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2970976)   #39
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Well according to recent news WEC will have:

Audi R18

Peugeot 908

HPD (Honda) ARX-03 a

Toyota LMP1

Audi R18 Work´s team - 2 cars

Audi ABT /Custom team - 1 car

Peugeot 908 Work´s team - 2 cars

Oreca Peugeot 908 - 1 car

Strakka Racing HPD - 2 cars

Toyota Work´s team - 2 cars ( not all races)

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see Oak and Rebellion on that list, and equally Pescarolo will be there if it's in any way possible.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2970977)   #40
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
I think we can reasonably assume OAK will be in with 1 or 2 cars. Pescarolo seems optimistic, but I'm not sure if it is official. Rebellion, well, we'll see about them.

I don't think privateer Audis are a hot rumor at the moment, but it could make sense to have a non-hybrid plan B if the factory goes hybrid in 2012. I say it is less likely than more, but we'll see.

E-I had a story implying that Gulf Middle East could go the LMP2 route (I'm assuming in the WEC), but that is to be determined. Hopefully it is not to be deleted like the ALMS.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2970979)   #41
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
DAMS ran the Cadillac programe in Europe for their first 2 years , and did lots of winning in their P1 Lola/Judd GV4 a few years ago . Very good team with lots of pedigree , and been around for ages .

Im delighted for their return . It was initially set up by Jean Paul Driot and Rene Arnoux and stood for Driot Arnoux Motor Sports . Among other things F3000 multiple championships and possibily F3 too .
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2970985)   #42
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post

OAK racing should normally continue in ILMC WEC and Rebellion might as well.

I highly doubt that we will see a Audi customer team.

BTW http://mariantic.co.uk/lmp/WEC2012.asp has a list with possible WEC entries.
I think i read somewhere that Strakka will try to bring a second car (paying driver´s)

In Mariantic List (thanks for the Tip) they say 2 LMP Aston Martin and DeltaWing, is there any confirmation of That?

Will Aston Martin Bring The I6 again?

I thought DeltaWing is just for Le mans 24h...
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2970987)   #43
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
I think i read somewhere that Strakka will try to bring a second car (paying driver´s)

In Mariantic List (thanks for the Tip) they say 2 LMP Aston Martin and DeltaWing, is there any confirmation of That?

Will Aston Martin Bring The I6 again?

I thought DeltaWing is just for Le mans 24h...
The DeltaWing and AMR almost certainly will not be full-season WEC entries. Not in LMP1 at least. The DW does not even fit into a class. I have not heard the 2nd Strakka rumor either.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2970992)   #44
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Regarding the second car of Strakka i must be confusing to other team that want to buy a HPD-03a and run the WEC. I´m not sure... did any one read something about another team buying a HPd 03a???

So is there any possibility of AMR-ONE will race again??? I read that they are evaluating the project and no decision yet been made so...

Sincerely i would love to see Aston Martin back to business (LMP1) but what happen this year was .... extremely bad for their image.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2970995)   #45
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Regarding the second car of Strakka i must be confusing to other team that want to buy a HPD-03a and run the WEC. I´m not sure... did any one read something about another team buying a HPd 03a???
Cytosport (Muscle Milk) has been linked to the ARX-03a, but that would probably be an ALMS entry.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2970997)   #46
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Cytosport (Muscle Milk) has been linked to the ARX-03a, but that would probably be an ALMS entry.
Yes your right i remember now, tanks
Old 14 Oct 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2971076)   #47
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
2 car/team rule? What 2 car/team rule? There ain't such a thing...

Where did you saw that?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2971078)   #48
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
In some conversations at Estoril, it was suggested that Srakka could (underline could) have a second HPD. It will all depend of what kind of support will be provided by HPD, and possible new sponsors.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2971088)   #49
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans.pt View Post
In some conversations at Estoril, it was suggested that Srakka could (underline could) have a second HPD. It will all depend of what kind of support will be provided by HPD, and possible new sponsors.
Hmm, interesting. Is there some possibility that HPD is providing some factory support to Strakka ala what they provided to Highcroft last year? If so, why not continue with Highcroft? Less potential for Highcroft to support themselves eventually maybe? Highcroft needed too much money? They'd rather support a WEC program? They just have more faith in Strakka? Ok, that's a lot of questions!
Old 14 Oct 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2971099)   #50
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans.pt View Post
2 car/team rule? What 2 car/team rule? There ain't such a thing...

Where did you saw that?
I think he was referring the the Le Mans entry rule (or "rule", since changing one word in the name bypasses it - imho that rule has no place in manufacturer heavy era) but the WEC sporting regs are not available at the moment so there actually might be one.
Closed Thread