Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Sep 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3850132)   #76
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
Nice to see 2 Alfas topping the u2tc qualifying ; haven't seen that for a while !
Yes I noticed that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
..........but the second car driven by young Oli Hart, shows what a great talent this lad is. He drove the car for the 1st time, l think, at GW & won his part of the St Mary's race, after a distinctly average drive by Tom Coronel in the 'pro' part, in the same car.

He's also handy in the family cobra & entered in a GT40 for the main race: could be the youngest winner of the 6hrs this year ??
Could be interesting.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 22:28 (Ref:3850182)   #77
Juha
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Juha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few photos from today. I'll be back tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7936.JPG   IMG_7276.JPG   IMG_6335.JPG  

IMG_5994.JPG   IMG_6772.JPG  
Old 15 Sep 2018, 05:12 (Ref:3850246)   #78
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good lap time in the +4 Mike....as expected GT40s dominate!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 15 Sep 2018, 05:13 (Ref:3850247)   #79
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well I for one are delighted to see the Alfa being competitive again. Now we just need the Tisas to find some more speed to make the grid a bit more interesting. Wall to wall Cortinas is bad for the series. From my understanding the Beemer carries a lot more weight, and the engines are already making as much power as they are capable of.

Anyway, to the important matter of the 6hrs. I wonder if the single qualifying session in the dark will be repeated next year- it was chaos!

We had a simple plan to get all 3 of us qualified and then to our booked table at the pizzeria on time. The +4 was second out onto the track, and first time past us was leading car, with a clear track in front. Red flag. A car stopped on track and it’s dark. So we’re now near the back of the queue. Green flag and all on circuit again. One lap later red flag. Another recovery needed. This time we’re lucky to be near the front of the queue. One flying lap achieved with a 3.06 putting us P1 in the class for now. Too much traffic to improve so we swap drivers and Simon does 3 safe laps, then it’s my turn. Again, 3 safe laps keeeping out of the way of some of the manic Es, Cobras at GT40s. Then on my in lap, as I’m passing the medical centre the engine dies as if out of fuel. Pull off in a safe place while switching on second pump. Engine pulls again so carefully rejoin and get to pit lane entrance. Make it down the hill to our box, where we find tank is dry! Turns out the the extra laps needed to achieve a time meant we had used more than predicted...... I’d actually put in 3 more litres than had been calculated, so very pleased that I did!

So we had to use the whole 90 minute session to each do 3 laps, which is daft. Turned out that our time was beaten by 3, with class pole (1 sec faster) taken by the brand new build Triumph SLR copy. I haven’t had a look at it but apparently the roll cage would be worthy of a modern BTCC car....

But after all that we were only 3 minutes late for our table reservation, with the pizza excellent and welcome
Old 15 Sep 2018, 05:20 (Ref:3850249)   #80
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the pics, really nice. Le parti pris d'un angle assez original est sympa, merci beaucoup et bonne continuation.
Mike did I see that you dare to be faster than your client? As to car colors, you meant one red and one shiny" I guess…
By the way, who buys the beer for two tens?
Old 15 Sep 2018, 05:31 (Ref:3850250)   #81
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Nothing is faster than a GTA in U2TC. I never drove a real tisa, but a modified TI is a dog even if non compliant. Whatever you do, overbore, contra-rotative camshaft, and so on, weight is an issue and the power remains modest for a 2.2 litre… Bearing in mind that at this stage you can experience some unreliability And a Cortina is so much fun to drive!
Old 15 Sep 2018, 07:28 (Ref:3850263)   #82
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha View Post
A few photos from today. I'll be back tomorrow.
And I think these photos show why Historic racing is so wonderful. A more diverse and exciting group of cars you couldn't hope to find in one meeting. Marvellous!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Sep 2018, 07:58 (Ref:3850266)   #83
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The qualifying for six hours was crazy
Red flags yellow flags
Drivers not knowing what they are doing as their first race of weekend
Our box of bolts did a 2 49 Thursday but did whole six laps in qualifying before being barged off track by a long hopeless bloke in a tank

Hour in light plus hourin dark was so much more sensible
Old 15 Sep 2018, 08:07 (Ref:3850271)   #84
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I noticed there were quite a number of red flags in many of the qualifying sessions yesterday.
Old 15 Sep 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3850281)   #85
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The qualifying for six hours was crazy
Red flags yellow flags
Drivers not knowing what they are doing as their first race of weekend
Our box of bolts did a 2 49 Thursday but did whole six laps in qualifying before being barged off track by a long hopeless bloke in a tank

Hour in light plus hourin dark was so much more sensible
Old 15 Sep 2018, 14:40 (Ref:3850348)   #86
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Too many people been watching Goodwood highlight in preparation?

Car ok I hope, best car there!
Old 15 Sep 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3850384)   #87
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
2:42.

2:30's next year?
Old 15 Sep 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3850385)   #88
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
It seems that Mike and his mates are having a tough time, specially during the first two hours. Never saw so many penalties during a race. I very much doubt they will really make 6 hours while so many started for a 2/3 hours race …
By chance the real SLR is now ahead the Triumph one!
Old 15 Sep 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3850401)   #89
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
It seems that Mike and his mates are having a tough time, specially during the first two hours. Never saw so many penalties during a race. I very much doubt they will really make 6 hours while so many started for a 2/3 hours race …
By chance the real SLR is now ahead the Triumph one!
The new Triumph is very quick with one driver, but John’s Morgan SLR is 2nd in class at the moment. Still an hour to go! Keith Ahlers’s +4 TOK258H broke or bent a push rod, now fixed, and we had (during my stint) a brake lining come off the shoe. Interesting! Spoiled our race but c’est la vie...... Looks like Iain has had problems in the Marcos, as they lost a lot of time early on, and sadly the Elva is no longer running. Another tenther James Owen is sharing a TR4, but not sure how that is doing, and MGDavid is doing pitwall duty for an E Type. So several other tenthers involved!
Old 15 Sep 2018, 20:01 (Ref:3850418)   #90
tomboyd
Rookie

tomboyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We prefer the word 'recreation' for the 'new Triumph SLR...

Just finished its maiden race in the 6 hrs..... 18th overall and 1st class

What an event
Old 15 Sep 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3850419)   #91
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
....Another tenther James Owen is sharing a TR4, but not sure how that is doing....
I seem to recall meeting James Owen at Phillip Island a few years ago (2011?) He had brought a Triumph down under to do a couple of events.
Old 15 Sep 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3850428)   #92
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
a brake lining come off the shoe. Interesting! Spoiled our race but c’est la vie......
Incredible you carry this kind of spare with you and can change it fast during the race! Good mechanics, you have. Do you use an american green compound sold by CMS? I guess the lining is glued not riveted.
Old 15 Sep 2018, 20:32 (Ref:3850429)   #93
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I will sit down tomorrow and give you full report . I’ve had a Fantasic time with Richard and his crew . We finished and they are all so happy . Well done to all the tenthers.
Old 15 Sep 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3850431)   #94
tomboyd
Rookie

tomboyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What an event!!
Attached Thumbnails
spa 2018..jpg   spa 2018.jpg  
Old 15 Sep 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3850439)   #95
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I will sit down tomorrow and give you full report . I’ve had a Fantasic time with Richard and his crew . We finished and they are all so happy . Well done to all the tenthers.
Well done Iain. Look forward to your report.
Old 15 Sep 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3850441)   #96
Juha
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Juha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today's action.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0086.JPG   IMG_0669.JPG   IMG_1049.JPG  

IMG_9254.JPG   IMG_9458.JPG   IMG_9334.JPG  

Old 16 Sep 2018, 05:22 (Ref:3850496)   #97
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Merci Juha, c'est super sympa. Les deux derniers docs font penser "instantanément" Ã* une lithographie de Alain Mirgalet. La T Septante est dans le ton du repos entre deux actions. Je pense que tu vois Ã* quoi je fais référence Ã* moins que tu ne sois comme je le suppose très jeune. Bonne continuation.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 05:40 (Ref:3850499)   #98
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Apologies for not including Sam Binfield, his Dad and Will Nuttall on the list of tenthers in the 6hrs! Looks like best result so far in the event for the family Gilbern GT.

We had no more issues after the earlier brake shoe failure (apart from a couple of minor contacts- not when I was in the car), but with a lengthy SC period in the last two hours no chance of climbing back up the order much! 3 finishes from 3 starts for the car is a result in itself is my book.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 05:51 (Ref:3850501)   #99
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyd View Post
We prefer the word 'recreation' for the 'new Triumph SLR...

Just finished its maiden race in the 6 hrs..... 18th overall and 1st class

What an event
Welcome to the forum tomboyd! Congratulations on an excellent result. A well built, well prepared and well driven car.

Agree that the definition of recreation could apply, but in my book, a new body built on a new buck created from measurements taken off the one original car, that then mounted on a period TR4 chassis, makes it a copy. Even the owner described it as a replica during conversation......

No different of course to all the new Daytona Coupes etc now gracing grids, and adds diversity, which is good. However, the 3 Morgan SLRs- which are all here at Spa- have provenance and period history, which a new ‘copy’, if ever produced, can never have......
Old 16 Sep 2018, 06:02 (Ref:3850502)   #100
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Exhibit A....
Attached Thumbnails
E1186C50-3471-4674-AAB4-5A948E383442.jpeg