Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Jun 2018, 22:57 (Ref:3827884)   #1
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Egg Recommendations for Good Places to Eat in Le Mans (Curry, Chinese, even French!)

As in title, after scrutineering on monday afternoon, I'd fancy a (more than) decent curry. Do you know of a good place to go, not the only-good-at-3am-after-a-binge kind of place?

Thx in advance,

Vince
Old 19 Jun 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3831947)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did you find one Vince? I must admit by the time I got to Friday, I was hankering after a good curry!
Old 19 Jun 2018, 19:05 (Ref:3831949)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought of this thread when I saw a Thai place in town, I didn’t go in. I didn’t see a Curry house though
Old 19 Jun 2018, 20:04 (Ref:3831962)   #4
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, I posted the same question on Pistonheads too and got two recommendations over there. Bombay and Taj Mahal. As the Taj Mahal was closed on monday, Helen, Paul and I ate a very nice curry at Bombay restaurant, 23 Place de l'Éperon, 72000 Le Mans.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3831966)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I stood there one year for the parade.

I shall remember for next time. Thanks.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 17:15 (Ref:3832169)   #6
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
We should change this thread or start a new thread for recommended places to eat in Le Mans.

Last year after the parade my party and I had an excellent dinner at a restaurant called Auberge des 7 Plats. 25 Euros for an excellent three course meal.

On the other side, I had one of the worst dining experiences ever a few years ago at a place called La Chamade. Had made my reservations a few months in advance because we had a good sized party and it was for Friday after the parade. Called back two weeks before to confirm. Then when I showed up they just magically lost my reservation and all of a sudden didn't speak a word of English. They made me so angry that I kicked over their sign board outside the restaurant. I have now made a habit of kicking over that sign board whenever I have walked past in subsequent years. I'll even go out of my way to do it.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3832174)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
We should change this thread or start a new thread for recommended places to eat in Le Mans.
OK, Let's do just that.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3832175)   #8
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is that 4 foot British food section still in Carrefour? I recommend that! It has HP sauce. One does not have a bacon roll at a camp site without brown sauce.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3832177)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Is that 4 foot British food section still in Carrefour? I recommend that! It has HP sauce. One does not have a bacon roll at a camp site without brown sauce.
Now we're back at my level!

Agreed!
Old 20 Jun 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3832185)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Tertre rouge campsite, Helen did a very good beef in red wine wednesday, Curry on Thursday. and spagetti bol Friday. who needs to eat out. Plus cooked breakfast every morning
Old 20 Jun 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3832207)   #11
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Tertre rouge campsite, Helen did a very good beef in red wine wednesday, Curry on Thursday. and spagetti bol Friday. who needs to eat out. Plus cooked breakfast every morning
Strikes me you'd starve at Le Mans without your daughter.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3832268)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
Strikes me you'd starve at Le Mans without your daughter.
But i would be slimmer and my t shirts would fit better
Old 21 Jun 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3832269)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One day, I have to write for all you Tenthers, "Good places to eat in Buenos Aires".
Starting from GĂ¼errĂ*n pizzeria.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 07:54 (Ref:3832271)   #14
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We have a daily trip to a boulangerie in Arnage for baguettes, pains aux chocolate, croissants etc. - Better Quality than the supermarket efforts and supports a local business.

You just hang a left at the mini-roundabout just past the level crossing and it's on a crossroad after a couple of 100 metres.

Google Map Link - https://goo.gl/maps/9puW7R8BjrD2
Old 21 Jun 2018, 10:25 (Ref:3832297)   #15
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Poultry

You go to France and want to eat curry..... Nowt so queer as folk.

Chacun a son gout .
Old 21 Jun 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3832301)   #16
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
We have a daily trip to a boulangerie in Arnage for baguettes, pains aux chocolate, croissants etc. - Better Quality than the supermarket efforts and supports a local business.

You just hang a left at the mini-roundabout just past the level crossing and it's on a crossroad after a couple of 100 metres.

Google Map Link - https://goo.gl/maps/9puW7R8BjrD2
I know that bakery and use it when the main street in Arnage is very crowded, but Aux Pain des Anges in the main street is much better with a very wide choice of loaves, croissants, sandwiches and pastries, a really top-level boulanger by any French standards. Very popular, so don't be surprised if there's a queue. The butcher/traiteur on the other side of the street and a little to the south is also excellent for fresh meat and for takeaway prepared dishes.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3832320)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I'm pretty sure James and I have been there on occasion in the past.....
Old 21 Jun 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3832339)   #18
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I stood there one year for the parade.
Damn, I know you have to get there early but that's ridiculous.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3832347)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But he did have a mighty fine spot - and a terrific beard.........
Old 21 Jun 2018, 15:58 (Ref:3832351)   #20
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
You go to France and want to eat curry..... Nowt so queer as folk.

Chacun a son gout .
Pardonnez-moi? Are you calling me queer because I happen to like curry once in a while, and that once in a while happened to be monday evening?

For your information, not that I need to defend myself and my choice in food to you, during raceweek I also twice visited a very nice, french cuisine restaurant, of which the chef just happened to be 'young french chef of the year' last year or two years ago.

Thank you for your very constructive and informative contribution to this thread,

Au revoir,

Vince
Old 21 Jun 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3832354)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'll eat curry anywhere......

I also consumed quite a lot of pizza while I was at Le Mans......
Old 21 Jun 2018, 16:43 (Ref:3832358)   #22
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Recall a Parisian curry house proprietor during Euronaval in 2002 being delighted that a couple of British guys were visiting his establishment.

I've even deigned to eat Sichuan food in London (as did vincegail and GT6 on a memorable evening in 2016!) rather than restricting consumption to Chengdu, had pizza in Petra, and French food in the US. It's often all pretty good, and as Coppice mentioned, to each their own.

Perhaps we should ground this debate properly, by reflecting on Luc Besson's memorable riff on Michel Vaillant, where the Steve Warson character announces that on the night before Le Mans the only food that's called for is hamburgers; not even French icons eat French food all the time.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3832398)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Vince, the fold english saying "Nowt queer as folk" predates the modern use of queer by decades so do not worry as no offence was ment i am sure.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 20:25 (Ref:3832402)   #24
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Indeed it wasn't. Hence my last sentence....
Old 21 Jun 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3832404)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I suspect all languages have phrases, often aged, that get lost a little in translation!