Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Aug 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1383792)   #1
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC to go Forth

Scotland’s world famous Forth Road Bridge will collect an extra few pounds in cash at its toll booths when it greets cars and drivers from Britain’s biggest motor racing series – the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship – as they arrive for their next race meeting at the Knockhill circuit in Fife on Sunday 28 August.

Full article available here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72758

Last edited by touringlegend; 16 Aug 2005 at 17:48.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 16 Aug 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1383801)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Perhaps they can get a few passing motorists to beef up the grid?
Old 16 Aug 2005, 16:41 (Ref:1383810)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That'll be nice but will anybody be able to spectate at it ? To me an event in George Square in Glasgow or the Royal Mile in Edinburgh would have promoted the BTCC far more.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1383823)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Touringlegend - I think the main aim is to get some good publicity shots for TV - having spoken to Fife Police I don't think they'd be too happy about people trying to spectate - the aim is to get the bridge back open to traffic in as short a time as possible.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1383847)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You have PM K-B.

I know people won't be able to spectate, it's more a question of is it the best place. Wouldn't the Royal Mile / the Castle do just as good a job in publicity terms. I think you understand my point though.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1383858)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I do - I think with the Edinburgh Festival in full swing you'd find there's no way they could logistically do a BTCC demo in the city centre.

However, doing it through central Dunfermline might have been sensible.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1383872)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Forgot about the festival there..
Old 17 Aug 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1384759)   #8
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it's just not possible to do it everywhere we, the fans, would like because the local councils might have said no or it might be too much of a stretch on the teams logistics/capabilities. You have to think of them as well. I would also imagine that finding the right road/infrastructure to run such an event safely can be quite tricky.

The Bridge idea sounds like something different and novel so good on them. I read in Motorsport News recently that they're also looking at an event in Milton Keynes to promote the Silverstone weekend.
Old 17 Aug 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1384892)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Don't get me wrong, I have to congratulate TOCA this year for actually promoting the series in the way they are, the event in Newcastle would attract a few punters to Croft no doubt.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1385586)   #10
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Hopefully they'll reel in their usual excesses or somebody will get punted off into the Firth of Forth!
Old 18 Aug 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1385587)   #11
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Hopefully they'll reel in their usual excesses or somebody will get punted off into the Firth of Forth!
If that happened, and no-one was hurt - what a publicity stunt that could be
Old 18 Aug 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1385611)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Have you seen the bridge, Alfa Fan?

It would be a guaranteed death.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1385612)   #13
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Yes, I do - I think with the Edinburgh Festival in full swing you'd find there's no way they could logistically do a BTCC demo in the city centre.

However, doing it through central Dunfermline might have been sensible.
Dunfermline High Street would'nt work, its so narrow, bumpy. A blast through The Glen might be interesting.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1385618)   #14
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Have you seen the bridge, Alfa Fan?

It would be a guaranteed death.
Been accross it. I'm not sure it would be fatal, so long as they got out in time. btw, I neither want, or expect, to find out.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1386426)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Erm.......very rarely do people survive plunging into water from such heights.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1386509)   #16
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
That'll be nice but will anybody be able to spectate at it ? To me an event in George Square in Glasgow or the Royal Mile in Edinburgh would have promoted the BTCC far more.
or the science centre part of glasgow?
Old 25 Aug 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1391137)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Here they are:
Old 25 Aug 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1391277)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Very nice, hope they paid the charges
Old 25 Aug 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1391281)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you look on offical BTCC website there is a picture of James Pickford paying his £1.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1391294)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Yep, but he appears to be heading away from the bridge

Will need to keep an eye on the local news tomorrow night, see if this is mentioned. Bound to be since it probably caused havoc on the roads!

Hope it draws in a few punters to Knockhill this weekend, the circuit's certainly been pushing with the TV ads!
Old 25 Aug 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1391316)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It's a LHD car. Maybe he paid the toll and drove across in reverse.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1391330)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

There's a simple explanation for the toll picture - it was the only way to get the bridge in the background, since the tolls are all northbound and the cars were going north!
Old 25 Aug 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1391367)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I did realise the car was LHD...
Old 26 Aug 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1391706)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
The picture of James Pickford paying the toll made today's Scottish Sun.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1391793)   #25
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Bound to be since it probably caused havoc on the roads!

Hope it draws in a few punters to Knockhill this weekend, the circuit's certainly been pushing with the TV ads!
You'd be surprised - it was only closed northbound for about 5mins and probably added an extra 100 vehicles to what was already quite a slow moving queue so really didn't affect it at all. Bear in mind the traffic heading soutbound at one point earlier in the day - after rush hour - was three miles, without any interference from the BTCC boys. A slick show.

Agreed, this sort of thing can do wonders for pre-event publicity. Well done on Knockhill for being a proactive circuit in that area.