Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Mar 2016, 15:08 (Ref:3621878)   #1
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Greenville, South Carolina
Madkart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2016 Creventic 24H Series

Second round of the season will be at Mugello. It's a solid entry list for a 12 hour race... but the time schedule just seems to me a bit odd. Why race for four hours, have an almost 16 hour intermission and then resume the next 8? How is that considered a 12 hour race?
Old 10 Mar 2016, 15:20 (Ref:3621881)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's always struck me that billing themselves as a 24H series is somewhat misleading.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 15:29 (Ref:3621883)   #3
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
It's officially called the International Endurance Series now, IIRC.

And the split format is due to noise regulations. I found it kind of strange initially, but it really works for them. If it helps. just consider the first part of the race a qualifier for the 2nd half. Which it is - in some ways as only full laps are counted when the race is resuming the next day.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 15:36 (Ref:3621886)   #4
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
It's officially called the International Endurance Series now, IIRC.

And the split format is due to noise regulations. I found it kind of strange initially, but it really works for them. If it helps. just consider the first part of the race a qualifier for the 2nd half. Which it is - in some ways as only full laps are counted when the race is resuming the next day.
Yes but as a fan, don't you consider it to be a bit of a cliffhanger? I could only just imagine watching a battle for the overall lead with 10 minutes left into the first part of the race, only to see the chequered flag and then wait for 16 hour and watch them do it all over again. It just doesn't quite make any sense to me I feel. Surely I'm not the only one?

Also, noise restrictions sounds a bit odd as well. I know Silverstone has one of the toughest noise restrictions in the world yet they can pull off a 24 hour race without any intermissions. There has to be another reason for this.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3621887)   #5
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkart View Post
Also, noise restrictions sounds a bit odd as well. I know Silverstone has one of the toughest noise restrictions in the world yet they can pull off a 24 hour race without any intermissions. There has to be another reason for this.
Noise restrictions might also mean a curfew and absolutely zero on-track activity after certain times, and tracks that have to comply with this may have a very limited amount of days per year where this doesn't apply (depending on how the noise limits have been negotiated with the local community).
Old 10 Mar 2016, 15:53 (Ref:3621889)   #6
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Noise restrictions might also mean a curfew and absolutely zero on-track activity after certain times, and tracks that have to comply with this may have a very limited amount of days per year where this doesn't apply (depending on how the noise limits have been negotiated with the local community).
Ah yes, I forgot about the curfews. Very interesting to see endurance races like these. Never have I ever heard of an endurance race with an intermission. Should still be fun I hope.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 16:14 (Ref:3621892)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ah yes, I forgot about the curfews. Very interesting to see endurance races like these. Never have I ever heard of an endurance race with an intermission. Should still be fun I hope.
Zandvoort "12h" and Abu Dhabi "12h" do the same
Old 10 Mar 2016, 16:18 (Ref:3621895)   #8
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Zandvoort "12h" and Abu Dhabi "12h" do the same
Zandvoort organized by Creventic as well. So that's three enduros that do intermissions? That's a lot, but yet again there are always new enduros popping up everywhere now.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 16:23 (Ref:3621897)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't like the split format, but then again I don't follow these events so it doesn't particularly matter to me.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 16:24 (Ref:3621899)   #10
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I watched the race last year, split format is fun, something a little different. As Speed-King says, the first segment is all about keeping on the lead lap, pitting tactically, and maintaining your speed, so you end up in a good spot on the grid for the start of the second segment. Then it turns up a notch for the second segment.

I certainly wouldn't want every endurance race like this, but it makes for an interesting dynamic
Old 10 Mar 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3621902)   #11
Deleted
Veteran

Doesn't it rob you off from night racing though

Most of these smaller, less-wrecked-by-FIA tracks that don't have systematic floodlighting, so they'd be more old school and pure spectacle in that regards
Old 10 Mar 2016, 16:31 (Ref:3621903)   #12
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Quote:

Most of these smaller, less-wrecked-by-FIA tracks that don't have systematic floodlighting, so they'd be more old school and pure spectacle in that regards
Very good point, Chiana! Mugello must be wicked cool during the night!
Old 10 Mar 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3621904)   #13
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I did the Race of Remembrance clubbie 1000km at Anglesey last November.
Started at dusk (4pm) on Saturday, raced 3 hours into pitch darkness.
Then resumed at 0915 on Sunday for the remainder.
Yes, it was great fun.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3621918)   #14
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
IMSA did the same thing back in the 80s at Watkins Glen...
Old 10 Mar 2016, 19:36 (Ref:3621950)   #15
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Would be awesome to have it into the night but again I think it's down to curfew hours unfortunately.

I agree this format is by no means ideal, but it works around the very tight local curfew hours nicely providing an interesting format for a slightly different race
Old 10 Mar 2016, 22:26 (Ref:3621971)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't like the idea. If it's a 12-hour race you should race for 12 hours straight, unless it's unsafe to do so.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3622089)   #17
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
There will be in car TV feed from our car.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 10:46 (Ref:3622101)   #18
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I don't like the idea. If it's a 12-hour race you should race for 12 hours straight, unless it's unsafe to do so.
Ordinarily, I would agree; however, if it is choice of a split race around a place like Zandvoort or a solid 12 hours around a less attractive venue, the likes of Zandvoort are more preferable.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 11:21 (Ref:3622103)   #19
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Ordinarily, I would agree; however, if it is choice of a split race around a place like Zandvoort or a solid 12 hours around a less attractive venue, the likes of Zandvoort are more preferable.

Totally understand BSchniederFan's view, perhaps it shouldn't be called a 12 hour??

Don't know what else but perhaps your right that calling it a 12hr is misleading
Old 11 Mar 2016, 12:15 (Ref:3622114)   #20
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolis View Post
There will be in car TV feed from our car.

I'll be watching, James! Just wanted to ask how you feel about having a long intermission during the race? Unique, bad, good for the sport? Thanks.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3622116)   #21
Deleted
Veteran

It may be a 12h weekend, but not a 12 hour race.

I suppose ACO has experience in this well, with the 2009 Okayama 1000kms having been split to two 500km races.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 13:29 (Ref:3622125)   #22
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
It may be a 12h weekend, but not a 12 hour race.

I suppose ACO has experience in this well, with the 2009 Okayama 1000kms having been split to two 500km races.
They do, however, line up the cars on the grid under parc fermé conditions, so there's no repairing between the two heats.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 17:29 (Ref:3622184)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Totally understand BSchniederFan's view, perhaps it shouldn't be called a 12 hour??

Don't know what else but perhaps your right that calling it a 12hr is misleading
They still race 12 hours.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 22:10 (Ref:3622256)   #24
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I'll be watching, James! Just wanted to ask how you feel about having a long intermission during the race? Unique, bad, good for the sport? Thanks.
I wish it was 12H's straight through but no noise is allowed at night so it is what it is.

Strange days...
Old 12 Mar 2016, 01:19 (Ref:3622279)   #25
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it's not a new thing - Brooklands back in the pre war era ran a double 12hr event

http://www.austinharris.co.uk/articl...931-brooklands

Mercedes Benz World these days runs a historic event with the same title
http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/double12/