Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1257243)   #1
Carlos
Racer

England
Cumbria
Carlos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fibreglass panels

I have had no exposure to manufacturing fibreglass panels but will need bonnet, boot and doors for a 92 celica st182. Is it feasable to try and make these myself or is this unfeasable for a novice. If I where to buy these what type of cost would I be looking at? Just wondering as budget is tight (ducks a*;e) and am looking to save where I can. All input welcome.
Cheers
Carlos
Old 20 Mar 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1257541)   #2
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Would recommend starting on something small than a bonnet if your up for doing it. You will need to make a mould and a buck before making the actual part...

Suggest set about teaching yourself to make GRP parts first with wee things like wheel ramps before trying to make a bonnet! Though it would make moresense to actually buy one unless you have the kit already
Old 21 Mar 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1258024)   #3
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have an original and good condition car from which to take the moulds then it is not that difficult. You will need to outlay about £250 on materials....so it would be worth searching for ready made if possible.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1258637)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
On this subject, I have a GRP shelled car and have done plenty work on it, so have the kit, but have no experience of making a mould from an existing panel. Anyone suggest the best way to make a (bonnet sized) mould?
Old 24 Mar 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1260628)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a freind of mine is a fibreglass man, as was my late father . . . . moulds are usually made of a timber frame, I think the trick is to make the edges etc in suck a way that you can get your actual fabrication out of the mould, you also use a releasing agent to stop the two sticking together. so I guess the mould is going to cost you at least twice as much as the panle to make
Old 24 Mar 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1260677)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
It might be worth having a word with Terry Briggs at a rallycross meeting - the rumour of how he built his spaceframe Audi TT bodywork was to borrow one for a weekend test drive, cover the thing in clingfilm and then cover it in fibreglass - hey presto one mould. I have no idea how true that is but he should at least be able to give you a few pointers I assume you've got the original metal panels so something similar could be possible for the celica?

Failing that John Cross' Xsport should be able to make the parts (although that'll probably be ££££££££)
Old 25 Mar 2005, 00:47 (Ref:1261210)   #7
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Zef, Bert, ok sorry, I didn't really explain the question properly. I have done a bit of fibreglassing and have made moulds for small parts, but as Zef says, for anything of a decent size a timber frame is usually needed to keep the shape. Bert, that thing with a subframe could easily be done and I've done similar myself, but can't be used for a large flat shape like a bonnet because its too flexible to hold it to the right shape without a support frame. No, what I'm looking for is a more modern approach for one-off large moulds... eg, I heard of one chap who covered a boot lid in a thin layer of latex, then squirted cavity wall foam all over it to a good thickness to hold the shape. I only saw the result, which was a boot lid with every detail of the lock and trim etc., reproduced exactly in fibreglass. What I don't know is what sort of release agent he used on the original panel and then before the fibreglass was laid in. Any thoughts?
Old 25 Mar 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1261346)   #8
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Zef, Bert, ok sorry, I didn't really explain the question properly. I have done a bit of fibreglassing and have made moulds for small parts, but as Zef says, for anything of a decent size a timber frame is usually needed to keep the shape. Bert, that thing with a subframe could easily be done and I've done similar myself, but can't be used for a large flat shape like a bonnet because its too flexible to hold it to the right shape without a support frame. No, what I'm looking for is a more modern approach for one-off large moulds... eg, I heard of one chap who covered a boot lid in a thin layer of latex, then squirted cavity wall foam all over it to a good thickness to hold the shape. I only saw the result, which was a boot lid with every detail of the lock and trim etc., reproduced exactly in fibreglass. What I don't know is what sort of release agent he used on the original panel and then before the fibreglass was laid in. Any thoughts?
It is important when making a supporting wooden frame to laminate it to the mould after the mould has cured completely, remove the original then put it back to retain the shape then make the frame, otherwise stresses created will show in the finished product. I like the foam idea, but only as a strengthener for a laminated mould.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1261558)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
What I don't know is what sort of release agent he used on the original panel and then before the fibreglass was laid in. Any thoughts?
Formwork contractors (reinforced concrete) use mauld oil from a company called Sika.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1261648)   #10
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Thanks for that, and err, sorry for hi-jacking your thread there Carlos. Hope you find my questions helpful too.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1262415)   #11
Carlos
Racer

England
Cumbria
Carlos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All helpfull, thanks for all the input and keep it coming.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1262784)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I just acquired an aluminium bonnet skin as Fibregalss wasnt homologated for my car, which is a shame as its cheap! just the bootlid to go now and I've got the set !!!
Old 28 Mar 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1263724)   #13
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have large GRP moulds (inc bonnet) for my car that have nothing more than a simple cross bonded into them, made from half sections of plastic pipe. If your bonnet is reasonably curved then it should be possible to mould without an overly complex framing...

Like the foam idea ~ will be trying that later i think