Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Nov 2019, 16:46 (Ref:3940599)   #2026
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed. He does realise that America had increased vehicle tariffs for EU products?
Old 14 Nov 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3940602)   #2027
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Indeed. He does realise that America had increased vehicle tariffs for EU products?
Don’t think he intends to export cars from Germany to USA....

Off topic- Ford officially announcing your EV next week!
Old 14 Nov 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3940608)   #2028
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He's going export them somewhere.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 19:00 (Ref:3940619)   #2029
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
He's going export them somewhere.
The rest of Europe, according to press speculation.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 20:00 (Ref:3940626)   #2030
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Probably best not to!

Interesting that Elon Musk gave one simple reason for deciding to build their new European car factory in Germany rather than UK..... Brexit.

Despite what the media say , Musk had already decided to build his new factory in Germany by 2014.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...esla-anything/
And in 2016 was buying up German engineering companies to get ready for it .
So that was way before even the referendum.

But it is not just the media who lie about the EU .
In 1971 , when we joined the EEC , documents show that the long term plan over 30 odd years was that the EEC would change into an all controlling state which would take over our sovereignty .And their laws would overrule any of ours , they would even be able to set our taxes & control just about anything they wanted .
http://www.acasefortreason.co.uk/fco-30-1048/
But civil servants & a few politicians decided that the people, [ & most of Parliament ], must not know what was in store so they kept the truth hidden for over 30 years .
And now the media has been mostly made to be anti Brexit , the truth is hardly ever told .
Old 14 Nov 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3940627)   #2031
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
The rest of Europe, according to press speculation.
Not sure that equates to exporting.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3940630)   #2032
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Don’t think he intends to export cars from Germany to USA....
No, I suspect he is trying to undermine the European options for marketing to the US.

Berlin, however, is not the most obvious choice of manufacturing operation location other than for its proximity to the seat of power in Germany.

Plus it may offer more by way of interest for visitors - especially wealthy CEOs - than, say, Frankfurt.

Stuttgart and Munich are already pre-occupied.

Berlin is also surrounded by the rump of East Germany and the rather poor local economics that goes with it.

UK was hardly likely to have ever been in their sights.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 20:55 (Ref:3940638)   #2033
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just think how much money could have been put to good use if we hadn’t wasted so much on this car crash that is Brexit. Makes me really worried for the country all this mess we’ve made
what money, exactly? (one or two good examples will do).
What mess? I cannot detect any change whatsoever, can you give an example?
Old 14 Nov 2019, 22:22 (Ref:3940657)   #2034
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, the fact that we've had governmental paralysis for three years to start with. Saint Theresa's Queen's Speech was the thinnest for some time, with basically only the Brexit bill.

The fact that in 21st Century Britain there are food banks. The fact that there's a housing crisis where young people can't afford to get into housing on an average wage. The fact that the NHS is so badly managed that only 84% of people are seen in A&E within four hours (I believe it's management as much as funding at fault). The fact that large swathes of Scotland sees no advantage to staying in the Union. The fact that we *are* losing work to other parts of the world, whether it's "Brexit related" or just "natural wastage." Clearly for whatever reason many companies don't see the UK as a viable location to work in.

And that's just for starters. To quote a former Prime Minister - "Crisis? What crisis?"

And all the Labour party can do is offer idiotic bribes like "free" Broadband. We're doomed I tell ye, doomed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by midgetman; 14 Nov 2019 at 22:27.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 22:33 (Ref:3940659)   #2035
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And what’s more we’ve been through a change of PM twice in four years, which must be a record. No strong and stable government here
Old 14 Nov 2019, 22:38 (Ref:3940660)   #2036
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well, the fact that we've had governmental paralysis for three years to start with. Saint Theresa's Queen's Speech was the thinnest for some time, with basically only the Brexit bill.

The fact that in 21st Century Britain there are food banks. The fact that there's a housing crisis where young people can't afford to get into housing on an average wage. The fact that the NHS is so badly managed that only 84% of people are seen in A&E within four hours (I believe it's management as much as funding at fault). The fact that large swathes of Scotland sees no advantage to staying in the Union. The fact that we *are* losing work to other parts of the world, whether it's "Brexit related" or just "natural wastage." Clearly for whatever reason many companies don't see the UK as a viable location to work in.

And that's just for starters. To quote a former Prime Minister - "Crisis? What crisis?"

And all the Labour party can do is offer idiotic bribes like "free" Broadband. We're doomed I tell ye, doomed.

Could be worse Max.

Germany has been living with negative interest rates for deposits for some time.

And they have some of the most expensive electricity in the world.

Worse still their cars have very poor reputations for reliability and longevity in the USA despite the Germans having manufacturing plants there.

They seem to have taken over the (relative) volume sales and poor reputation from the Brits.

The problem is that without Germany, in particular, the EU economy looks decidedly dodgy.

Then again whose economy doesn't look dodgy?

Last edited by grantp; 14 Nov 2019 at 22:53.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 22:59 (Ref:3940662)   #2037
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The whole world's teetering on the edge of recession simply because as individuals we can't keep on growing our consumption. If we spend less - and I know a lot of people are tightening their belts either by design or it being forced upon them - then the only way to grow an economy is to have more people buying. And as a country we've decided we don't want to grow the market this way.

So the economy contracts. It's bound to, there's only so much tat we can add to.our lives. Basically we're well sorted in the UK. Our cars are lasting better so we don't change them so often. TV? PC? Mine are fine thanks, I don't need to constantly upgrade any more, they're cleverer than I am. We can't stave off recession, it's just how we manage it that matters.

Old 15 Nov 2019, 10:53 (Ref:3940706)   #2038
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
many would argue that governmental paralysis is a GOOD thing; keep them busy on Brexit so they don't have the time to think up more ways to tax and control the people.

I'm still waiting for *any* examples of 'all the money wasted on Brexit' (implication being that these sums are significant enough to make a difference if spent elsewhere).
Ditto examples of 'the mess we're in' (implication that it's caused by Brexit).

Fiscally and economically we are in a very stable state compared with my experience of the last 50 years.
Old 15 Nov 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3940714)   #2039
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’m just thinking of the money we could have invested into social security, health care etc. For me it seems Brexit has overshadowed everything and that can’t be right
Old 15 Nov 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3940719)   #2040
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
What money hasn't been invested in those things? If you mean there was more then possibly but none of it has been expended on Brexit AFAIK.
Old 15 Nov 2019, 12:13 (Ref:3940723)   #2041
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just think, without brexit and the forthcoming election, we wouldn’t have the labour promise of free full fibre broadband to every home by 2030, or the conservatives pledge to restore rail routes closed Beeching in the ‘60s!

OMG who to vote for.........
Old 15 Nov 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3940725)   #2042
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The rail routes actually do make sense especially if there is a pledge to reduce emissions. The broad band thing is never going to be free since the increased taxes needed to pay for it would be crippling. It demonstrates the old philosophy that using someone else's money is always free.
Old 15 Nov 2019, 12:57 (Ref:3940728)   #2043
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Totally agree about the rail lines, but many of the routes (in Norfolk at least) are now housing, industrial estates or cycle ways.....
Old 15 Nov 2019, 13:02 (Ref:3940730)   #2044
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, I'm sure they won't be able to re open every route. That said, on the A41 near Aylesbury they built a new railway station on the Chiltern line to meet the needs of a new housing development, so it's not entirely fanciful.
Old 15 Nov 2019, 13:02 (Ref:3940729)   #2045
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And what’s more we’ve been through a change of PM twice in four years, which must be a record.
Far from it - in fact it happened as recently as
Blair - Brown - Cameron 2007-2010

And before that it was quite common:
Wilson - Callaghan - Thatcher 1976-1979
Heath -Wilson - Callaghan 1974-1976
Wilson - Heath - Wilson 1970-1974
Macmillan - Douglas-Home - Wilson 1963-1964
Churchill - Eden - Macmillan 1955-1957
Attlee - Churchill - Eden 1951-1955
Old 15 Nov 2019, 13:05 (Ref:3940731)   #2046
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The broad band thing is never going to be free since the increased taxes needed to pay for it would be crippling. It demonstrates the old philosophy that using someone else's money is always free.
Heard an interview with a boss of BT today, who outlined some of the costs involved with rolling out free high-speed broadband to all in a nationalised scheme:

£30-40 billion to install
£5 billion per year in lost revenue
£50 billion pension fund liability to be absorbed

All of which will fall to the tax payer - so everyone gets free broadband by paying for it.......
Old 15 Nov 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3940735)   #2047
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I’m just thinking of the money we could have invested into social security, health care etc. For me it seems Brexit has overshadowed everything and that can’t be right
You must be quite young and very naive if you think that any money not spent on Brexit, another war, or whatever is in vogue with the govt. of the day would find its way back to the population in either tax cuts or increased social services, it doesn't happen, never has and never will.
Old 15 Nov 2019, 13:33 (Ref:3940738)   #2048
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I can’t begin to imagine the chaos that will be caused if they try to install fibre to every house in my small town, let only cities!

When will we be able to get satellite? Has to be more sensible....
Old 15 Nov 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3940744)   #2049
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
And now the media has been mostly made to be anti Brexit , the truth is hardly ever told .
Err - the media seems to be very pro-brexit (anything Murdoch controlled is for a start), then there's The Daily Mail (although to be fair I don't think it's possible to have a Brexit hard enough for most Mail readers - that would probably involve physically relocating the British Isles into the mid Atlantic)
Old 15 Nov 2019, 14:17 (Ref:3940755)   #2050
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
I can’t begin to imagine the chaos that will be caused if they try to install fibre to every house in my small town, let only cities!

When will we be able to get satellite? Has to be more sensible....
That was my thought. Digging up every street and every garden in GB isn't going to be popular.

As for re-starting the railways Most of them aren't there. They all lost money hence they were closed in the first place.