Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Jun 2006, 16:29 (Ref:1624734)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MG Car Club International Festival 23/25 June 2006 (With Photos)

Interesting one this.

As far as I know the MG Car Club is the only marque club to be granted the use of the Silverstone international circuit for what is a car club gathering.

Over the years they've expanded the event into two days of racing, whereas up until the late nineties it was an event of one racing day and one of parades, sprints and autotests. The Autotests and Sprints still survive in what is now an extreeeeeeeeeeeeemleeeeeeeeeeeey busy weekend.

I support it when I can because I like MG's (I have a rather nice 1965 roadster with a "tickled up" fast road engine) and a lot of the racers are old fellow competitors, so the our Capri is entered for the 75km race on the Saturday and the 100km race on the Sunday.

This is the one event that, for me, currently reflects the ethos of the original Silverstone Historic weekends. Purely because it is diverse, although running MGR's and F's is not exactly historic, hopefully you get my drift. (Racing driver jokebook page 21).

If any 10thers are going come and say hello. If any of you are racing, I'll try not to upset you. And I don't mean I'll hold back!
Old 8 Jun 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1629991)   #2
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
NiG_21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to be there and many of my fellow Triumph racers are also ten-tenth(ers)... so we should have a good crowd.

A few are also doing the 75km race too... so... d'you think you can stay ahead of them?
Old 8 Jun 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1629999)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Possibly
Old 8 Jun 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1630107)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I'll probably be there for the free practice on the Friday if it isn't too early and the Thoroughbreds qualifying and race on Saturday.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1631208)   #5
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I'll probably be there for the free practice on the Friday if it isn't too early and the Thoroughbreds qualifying and race on Saturday.
Sound as if you'll be ready for a drink by the time you get to Cadwell!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1631681)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Aren't you having some kind of party at Cadwell that weekend?

I'm practising on the Friday purely because I haven't even seen the car since October so a half hour should at least get me near to what I can do with it. Then depending on scrute and practice time on Saturday I've got a similar party planned on the Friday evening.
Old 16 Jun 2006, 13:50 (Ref:1635823)   #7
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Aren't you having some kind of party at Cadwell that weekend?

I'm practising on the Friday purely because I haven't even seen the car since October so a half hour should at least get me near to what I can do with it. Then depending on scrute and practice time on Saturday I've got a similar party planned on the Friday evening.

At Silverstone I presume!! Lets hope the weather holds. It can't be worse than last years meeting - can it? Will include you in the toast on Saturday night. Is it your birthday too??
Old 16 Jun 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1635962)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Anyone have a timetable for the weekend?

Just hope the weather holds out better than last year.
Old 17 Jun 2006, 10:30 (Ref:1636226)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm hoping to get there Saturday or Sunday and hope that I can finally catch up and meet Peter!
Old 17 Jun 2006, 11:23 (Ref:1636240)   #10
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Mike Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there in the Midget for the Midget Challenge race, first time out since the massive blow up at Cadwell last year so should be interesting! Look forward to meeting lots of old friends and some new if you want to stop by. Car 43 yellow MG Midget
Old 17 Jun 2006, 20:04 (Ref:1636427)   #11
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Me too - 75 Enduro with my son (his rookie race) on Saturday in the Midget and then 100 enduro with Penelope Pitstop on Sunday in the Maestro. We're in garage 11B if you want to stop by...
Old 17 Jun 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1636472)   #12
John Watson
Racer

England
Burgh on Bain - Lincolnshire
John Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope this helps in planning your parties ! Where's yours being held Peter ?

Thoroughbreds testing session - Friday @ 10.20hrs.
Practice Saturday @ 10.40hrs. and listed as Race 6 on Saturday

75K Two driver testing session N - Friday @ 14.00-14.30hrs.
75K Single driver testing session O - Friday @ 14.30-15.00hrs.

75K two driver practice Saturday @ 11.20hrs and listed as Race 8
75K single driver practice Saturday @ 11.40hrs and listed as Race 9

At least that is what is planned at the moment.
Redshoes - all Marshals mail outs have taken place and include the 3 day timetable. As for Competitors you should be getting yours anytime now.

Joyce - It will not rain, (well not as bad as last years Sunday afternoon)

This is a Club event of gigantic proportions and definitely not to be missed.
See you there

Last edited by John Watson; 17 Jun 2006 at 21:32.
Old 17 Jun 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1636483)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Watson
Redshoes - all Marshals mail outs have taken place and include the 3 day timetable. As for Competitors you should be getting yours anytime now.
I'm neither. Any info for Joe Public, even if just a first qualifying/lunchtime/first race summary?
Old 18 Jun 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1636577)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm still in Moscow so don't have the timetable to hand but Maggie Yeadon gave me the following times when I called her last week.

The single driver 100kms practice starts immediately after the 75kms single driver practice on Friday.

Then as these two are the last races it would appear that last race practice on Saturday will be at 11:40am so lunch 12:00 - 13:00 (ish).

Final race practice on Sunday is at 12:55pm so I assume lunch will have been at 12:00mid day?

I'm also looking for a volunteer for the pit board if anyone is interested.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1636585)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Friday
Untimed testing, 20 mins per session

Staurday
Practice
09.00 Cockshoot
09.20 MG TRophy
09.40 BCV8
10.00 Midgets
10.20 BRDC Sports + T types
10.40 Thoroughbreds
10.00 MMM (Kimber Trophy)
11.20 75 Enduro 2 drivers
11.45 75 Enduro 1 driver

Racing from 13.00 in same order as practice

Sunday

Practice
11.15 Jaguar + MGA
11.35 Mini 7
11.55 Mini Miglia + Metros
12.15 Total Butler
12.35 Morgans & TRs
12.55 100 Enduro

Racing 13.30
Race 10 Mini 7
R 11 MGCC MG Trophy
R 12 Mini Miglia/Metros
R13 Total Butler
R14 Moss TR Reg7 Morgans
R15 MGA Trophy
R16 JEC Saloons
R17 100 Enduro
Old 18 Jun 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1636604)   #16
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Watson
all Marshals mail outs have taken place and include the 3 day timetable.
Nothing arrived as yet. If I haven't got anything in a day or two I'll drop you an e-mail.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1636706)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Friday.. etc
Cheers, exactly what I was after
Old 19 Jun 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1637376)   #18
JLD
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD
Nothing arrived as yet. If I haven't got anything in a day or two I'll drop you an e-mail.
arrived safely this morning.....................thanks
Old 25 Jun 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1640835)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, what a super meeting! Somehow, managed to miss going to this previously! Attended yesterday, and couldn't quite believe the sheer size; MGs as far as the eye could see in all directions.

Finally met up with our revered SuperMod, Mr Mallett, but my attempts at catching up with other drivers despite 3 exhausting laps of pit and paddock (and all the stalls & car displays!) failed miserably again. Did spot you, MGDavid, emerging from the pitlane garage to go off to practice; met your Jaguar, Falcemob but failed to catch up with with Mike Holmes or his car! Oh, well, next time.

I'll put some pics up during the next few days!
Old 25 Jun 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1641012)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good to meet up John, I've saved that beer for you.

Like you I failed to meet many of the others but did see Clive on the Start line and a few of the other Marshaling tenthers. Was a bit preoccupied so apologies if I didn't get the names.

Watched Tim's race which looked good and Tim D turned up today.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1641077)   #21
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Hi John, Peter.
Sorry I didn't get to meet either of you but it was a bit hectic, I was helping a friend who had problems with his car and then I had to dash off to Cadwell.
I had a good race though, I qualified 26th out of 35 and finished 7th.
Oh and 1st in class today and £50 and abottle of champers for a prize .
Old 25 Jun 2006, 22:43 (Ref:1641184)   #22
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Well, what a super meeting! Somehow, managed to miss going to this previously! Attended yesterday, and couldn't quite believe the sheer size; MGs as far as the eye could see in all directions.

Finally met up with our revered SuperMod, Mr Mallett, but my attempts at catching up with other drivers despite 3 exhausting laps of pit and paddock (and all the stalls & car displays!) failed miserably again. Did spot you, MGDavid, emerging from the pitlane garage to go off to practice; met your Jaguar, Falcemob but failed to catch up with with Mike Holmes or his car! Oh, well, next time.
>>>although only racing since '02 I think I've been to MG Silverstone more than 20 times in 30 years, it just gets better and better, although numbers generally seemed a little down this year especially Sunday - due to footy perhaps?
A vintage weekend for me, we got the first signature on my son's licence and then I helped P Pitstop try to wear out the Maestro - that car simply won't die! Sorry to have missed anyone who stopped by but we were all together in spirit.

Last edited by John Turner; 26 Jun 2006 at 07:26. Reason: Just to enclose quote!
Old 26 Jun 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1641358)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Great to hear that you all enjoyed it. Anymore experiences you'd care to share from the event?

First pics. from the pitlane garages. Barrie Carter's MGA:-

Martin Brewer's MGB. I'll be posting another of that one later, as there is a little storyline to go with it:-

James Pitt's MGB. Rather pleased I snapped this one on Saturday as I think it was only out on Sunday for the Total Butler race:-

Andrew Young and Mark Burnside practice their driver change for the 75km enduro, in their MGC GT. Anyone know who the exceptionally cheerful Marshal is?:-
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1641508)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Now, some from the paddock area. Ian Wright's MG Midget:-

Barry Sidery-Smith's MGB receiving attention. Is that 'Sideways' himself in light green overalls walking away from the car?:-

Oh so pretty, but I can't actually identify this from the programme or the MST timing site. The only Austin Healey Sprite carrying the No 30 listed was that of Murray Henderson but that is described as being black and Yellow. Is this a Lenham body or something even rarer? The fastback looks a bit rounder than a Lenham (Heron, maybe?):-

Joe Parrington's MGB GT V8:-
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1641512)   #25
JLD
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Anyone know who the exceptionally cheerful Marshal is?
I believe that he's an MGCC regular, although I can't put a name to the face at the moment. I was mashaling at Bridge so didn't get to see who was manning the pitlane.