Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2015, 08:13 (Ref:3589890)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brazilian Grand Prix 2015: Weekend Thread

Interlagos – this is one of the great circuits and almost always stages drama and emotion. The Grande Prêmio do Brasil is a race to be relished and it doesn’t matter if there is a championship at stake or not. It has hosted opening and closing races to many seasons and now that it brings us the penultimate Grand Prix of 2015, that there is no title to play for matters not a jot. The raucous and ebullient fans cheer from the grandstands that sit so close to the circuit that they make an amphitheatre of it. The track plunges downhill into Turn 1, setting the drivers off on a rollercoaster ride of a lap, with some interesting gradient changes affecting the corners. It is a bit like Suzuka in that regard, but less polished a place, and although like many a track any bumps have been smoothed out, it remains nonetheless a traditional track with a rough-round-the-edges quality.

The only track with facilities that eschew the contemporary slickness of 21st Century Formula 1 (even when Bernie Ecclestone was busy panning Silverstone seemingly every month, Interlagos curiously escaped his ire), São Paulo continues to bring us nailbiting tension, spectacular overtakes and big upsets year on year. Before we go back to the new world of the Middle East, let us enjoy a final fling at raw racing in an oldschool setting at a place with evocative corner names instead of mere numbered turns.

There is so much for us to look forward to. Triple World Champion Lewis Hamilton arrives in Interlagos having yet to ever win a Brazilian Grand Prix and saying that it would be a salute to Senna if he does so. In 2008, he took his first championship by the skin of his teeth, in the famous race where Felipe Massa was supposedly “world champion for 30 seconds”. This notion is actually a complete misconception as Ferrari and Felipe celebrated too early. It had been raining and Hamilton and race leader Massa both pitted for intermediates, but in their haste to celebrate, the Scuderia had not allowed for Hamilton finding a way past Timo Glock who was slithering about on his dry-weather tyres. That he did so at the final corner of the season to take the points he needed capped one of the most dramatic endings to a sporting event in recorded history. The Constructors’ Championship seemed little comfort for Ferrari, as a mechanic headbutted a glass wall in the pits and Fiat president Luca di Montezemolo reportedly broke a TV.

2008 is one of two home victories for Felipe Massa. The other was in 2006 when he led from pole to the finish. It was Michael Schumacher who made all the headlines, though, in his swansong (at the time) race, after having hit problems in qualifying, which restricted him to 10th on the grid. He was relegated to 19th place on Lap 9 after a collision and made it back to fourth, overtaking Kimi Räikkönen near the end.

It was the Finn who won his only world championship to date the next year, when he also took his sole win in Interlagos so far, vanquishing McLaren pair Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso who finished the season tied on points, but with Lewis coming out ahead in the title race on countback. Lewis had been heading into the race with a decent chance of an astonishing and unique championship in a debut year. However, he ran wide at the end of the Reta Oposta and then hit car trouble.

It might not have been the only win for Kimi. In 2003, Renault’s Fernando Alonso shunted on the start-finish straight, bringing out the red flags in a wet race in which he speared into the inside wall. Räikkönen was declared the victor on countback, despite Giancarlo Fisichella taking the chequered flag having overtaken the McLaren driver. The Jordan winner entered the pits on fire in a strange ending to a strange race. The decision to award the win to Räikkönen was overturned in the F.I.A. Court of Appeal in Paris a few days later when it was confirmed that Fisi was in fact the winner, because he had crossed the line in the lead twice before Alonso’s crash (the race result was taken from the running order two laps before the race stoppage). Fisichella claimed his winner’s trophy back from Kimi in a bizarre start-finish ceremony at the next Grand Prix, taking Jordan’s final win in Formula 1.

Despite being quicker recently, Kimi will hopefully be looking to put some scrappy outings behind him (if the nonchalant Finn ever had them in front of him). He hasn’t been performing at the level of team-mate Sebastian Vettel recently, though. Nonetheless, the four-time world champion also had an uncharacteristically messy race in Mexico which culminated in his binning the Ferrari. In 2012, Vettel took his third consecutive championship, despiting spinning on the first lap and narrowly avoiding being hit. This year, Vettel is going for runner-up spot in the championship against Rosberg, who won here last year.

Another memorable year was 2001, when Juan-Pablo Montoya announced his presence on the Formula 1 scene with an audacious move on Michael Schumacher to take the lead, before being taken out by current F1 star Max Verstappen’s father Jos.

Back in 1997, eventual world champion of that year Jacques Villeneuve won the race after having got in a tangle at the first corner. Unlike these days, if there was a red flag back then, you could jump into the spare car.

All these examples are fairly modern, but Brazilian Grands Prix had started being run at the Gavea circuit in Rio de Janeiro in 1936. Interlagos was first developed when in the late 1930s, two property developers bought the land, only to discover it was unsuitable for housing. It was finished in 1940. Like the previous race in Mexico City, the first Grand Prix held at the circuit wasn’t a world champioship event, joining the Formula 1 World Championship the following year. São Paulo native Emerson Fittipaldi won the inaugural Formula 1 race for Lotus. The race switched to the Jacarepaguá circuit in Rio in 1981 before moving back to Interlagos in 1990 on a reconfigured circuit.

Interlagos is full of tricky camber changes, ascents and descents. The drivers dive into Turn 1, a downhill left-hander nowadays known as the Senna ‘S’, which then goes 90 right and which is followed by a long left-hander, the Curva do Sol. This takes them onto the Reta Oposta, an opportunity for overtaking present here particularly on the opening lap depending on the exit from the previous corner. From my understanding of Portuguese, ‘Reta Oposto’ should mean ‘back straight’. The explanation for why this would therefore be the back straight lies in a comparison with the old layout used before the 80s. The track used to go left at Curva 1 and go out wider than the Senna ‘S’ takes them nowadays. So, the Curva do Sol was a corner which was on the infield of the old circuit and was followed by the Reta Oposto. A look at an old track map shows the wider layout of the former configuration.

Back to 2015 and the drivers enter the Descida do Lago, which is a really quick left-hander for which they brake extremely late (around 50 metres before the turn). They have to maintain speed and not run wide, which it is easy to do. There are two apexes here. This takes them back onto another brief straight before they begin to ascend again. The tremendous Ferradura (which means ‘Horse Shoe’) and Laranjinha (named after a fruit) is effectively a long double-apex right-hander and getting themselves on the apex is essential to winding the car up the hill effectively. Once they plateau, drivers enter some of the tricky, technical corners, the cambers presenting them with an added challenge. Right-hander Turn 8 doesn’t seem to have a name and goes into the Pinheirinho (Little Pine Tree) left-hander. ‘Bico do Pato’ (Duck Bill) follows and is a lot like Turn 8, but it’s particularly easy to lock up here on the way in.

Mergulho is a quick left-hander where drivers keep their foot planted but have to be careful to balance the car on the correct line before they dare to brake as late as possible for Junçao, carrying a lot of speed in, but maintaining traction up the hill before taking the Subida dos Boxes and Arquibancadas curves, two left-handers which are basically a case of maintaining speed and possibly lining themselves up for a pass. What a magnificent circuit Interlagos is.

If the track wasn't exciting enough, the weather also loves to throw a spanner in the works. The climate lends itself to sudden and unpredictable downpours. The forecast at the moment is showing possible storms on Saturday for qualifying and dry on Sunday.

Constructors’ championship standings: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-...standings.html
Drivers’ championship standings: http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-...standings.html

Circuit length: 4.309km
Number of laps: 71
Race distance: 305.909km
Dry weather tyre compounds: Soft and Medium
DRS Detection Zone 1: Between Turns 1 and 2 (the Senna ‘S’)
DRS Activation Zone 1: Between Turns 3 and 4 (on Reta Oposta)
DRS Detection Zone 2: After Turn 13
DRS Activation Zone 2: Just before Turn 15, final corner Arquibancadas
Speed trap: Near end of start-finish straight
Lap Record: 1:11.473 – Juan-Pablo Montoya – Williams-BMW (2004)
First World Championship Grand Prix: 1973
First World Championship Grand Prix on current layout: 1990
Old 12 Nov 2015, 09:51 (Ref:3589898)   #2
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Wow! Epic introduction, well done Born Racer!
Old 12 Nov 2015, 11:36 (Ref:3589911)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, wnut. I know I didn't go too much into the older races here. In the time constraints I was under, I preferred to concentrate on some of the big moments of recent times and discuss the circuit itself, which is my favourite on the calendar. I just wish I could drive the real one rather than only on my Playstation, so I could speak with more authority about what it's like to drive.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 16:06 (Ref:3589941)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
...Before we go back to the new world of the Middle East, let us enjoy a final fling at raw racing in an oldschool setting at a place with evocative corner names instead of mere numbered turns...
hear, hear!

great intro again BR! certainly a daunting task just limiting the intro to only a few great moments as there have been so so many.

liked the reminder of JPM's pass on schumi in 2001. it was audacious but as audacious as his pass on future team mate Kimi in and after the pit exit in 2004? JPM's last drive for Williams, their only win of the year, and their last real win (perhaps thats a bit harsh but i guess i dont really rate their 2012 Spanish GP win). anyways, wish there was a better clip of it but this was the best i could quickly find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODMe6fWHAtM
Old 12 Nov 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3589945)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Classic Brazil moments #273 - Half the field aquaplaning off at the river flowing at the Senna S. 2003 was it?

Classic Brazil Moments #474 - Hamiltons incredible WDC win - last race, last lap, last corner.

Classic Brazil Moments #372 - Advertising hordings randomly falling onto the track.

Classic Brazil moments #670 - Kimi taking a wrong turn during the race.

I love this place.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 16:48 (Ref:3589949)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What an excellent intro.

This is one race and track that usually produces the goods. Let's hope it does this weekend.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 17:44 (Ref:3589958)   #7
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great intro, BR. Love the Interlagos circuit. It has character - and the Brazilians love F1.

Other great moments from this circuit :-

1991 : Senna taking his first Brazilian win in front of his home crowd. He had car problems(his gearbox was failing and I think he had to use one gear towards the end). Winning just 2.9 seconds ahead of Patrese.

1993 : Senna again. Winning in the wet.

2001 : JPM's pass on Schumi. Then his got punted off by an Arrows. It went to another wet weather type race, and Coulthard pulled a pass on Schumi to take the win. Superb stuff.

In other F1 news, this is a track that Lewis has never won on. Nico seems strong here(he did win last year). There's some tension in the Mercedes team still. Plus, with all the media fuss over Lewis' car crash.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 17:57 (Ref:3589962)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Hope it will be a wet race.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3589988)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blummin' brilliant introduction.

Who will Mercedes chose to win the race his weekend? This is how it works, I read it on the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
2001 : JPM's pass on Schumi. Then his got punted off by an Arrows. ...
Don't bring that up

Apparently it was caused by the aero of the Williams being odd. It's true, I read it on the Internet.
Old 12 Nov 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3589996)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Blummin' brilliant introduction.

Who will Mercedes chose to win the race his weekend? This is how it works, I read it on the Internet.

Don't bring that up

Apparently it was caused by the aero of the Williams being odd. It's true, I read it on the Internet.
Wasn't that a crash a bit like the Grosjean - Verstappen crash at Monaco?
Old 12 Nov 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3589997)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, a very similar cause.

Shhhh
Old 13 Nov 2015, 15:42 (Ref:3590180)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Button having a fun little dig at LH.

https://streamable.com/yrgh
Old 13 Nov 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3590207)   #13
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Button having a fun little dig at LH.

https://streamable.com/yrgh
Love that – so nicely inserted and insinuated by the coolest dude in F1. But then, a Pagani Zonda does require your undiluted attention at all times – particularly at 3.30am. I had more than enough trouble with one of the bloody things at about 11.30 – and I hadn't been to a party. But at least I didn't hit anything...
Old 13 Nov 2015, 22:37 (Ref:3590247)   #14
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great intro BR.
I see where Rosberg is blaming those dastardly WEC cars for the Interlagos track breaking up. I assume he was there to witness this happening last year. However there is plenty of evidence of Mark Webber trying (and not succeeding) in trying to widen the track.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121793

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbxx8OQrY6w
Old 14 Nov 2015, 04:00 (Ref:3590279)   #15
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rosberg in autosport: "They've changed the kerbs a lot so now we can't attack the kerbs and have to drive round them"

Yes, that's exactly what you should have to do, provided they are not actually dangerous it means the design of the kerbs is good.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 13:18 (Ref:3590350)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
+1
Old 14 Nov 2015, 15:01 (Ref:3590363)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lol right? oh noes, enforcing track limits, whatever next?
Old 14 Nov 2015, 17:53 (Ref:3590386)   #18
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so Renault used 12 tokens to upgrade the engine that makes Ricciardo 1 tenth slower than Kvyat with the old engine?
Old 14 Nov 2015, 20:49 (Ref:3590422)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nico's on pole again, claiming his career 21st pole and denying Lulu that elusive 50th career pole, followed by the Ferraris. Ricciardio's at the back with Alonso, after an engine penalty.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 22:03 (Ref:3590439)   #20
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Rosberg in autosport: "They've changed the kerbs a lot so now we can't attack the kerbs and have to drive round them"

Yes, that's exactly what you should have to do, provided they are not actually dangerous it means the design of the kerbs is good.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 22:31 (Ref:3590447)   #21
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Turn 2 and turn 8 may catch a few out tomorrow. No kerb cutting anymore..
Old 14 Nov 2015, 23:19 (Ref:3590457)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
FWIW I saw a Rosberg interview where he said those things. He was just pointing it out and, as his pole position confirmed, simply dealt with it.

Change the kerbs and they still race and drive fast. It would be wierder if they didn't notice and worse if they did but didn't tell us.

Although, of course, he only got pole because Mercedes decided that it was his turn.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3590470)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
FWIW I saw a Rosberg interview where he said those things. He was just pointing it out and, as his pole position confirmed, simply dealt with it.

Change the kerbs and they still race and drive fast. It would be wierder if they didn't notice and worse if they did but didn't tell us.

Although, of course, he only got pole because Mercedes decided that it was his turn.
Will Mercedes decide when it's his turn to be WDC?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 15 Nov 2015 at 01:21. Reason: Typo
Old 15 Nov 2015, 10:07 (Ref:3590562)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I see Alonso and Button joking around, posing on the podium.

$100 million fine for mclaren.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 11:34 (Ref:3590578)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
No chance Max has retired.

Or has he, he's been in the media a lot recently. Does he have a book to promote or something?