Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:05 (Ref:702573)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What Next For Edwin Jowsey?

Surely Edwin's talent must've been noticed by somebody outside the Historic Racing fraternity?
Isn't there an ADR F3 drive going begging for the last three rounds how good would that be to see...no problem of learning circuits and if he can handle that Lola F500 I can't see there being any problem with the power of a modern F3 car (I realise this is all wishful thinking but surely there must be a step up for him soon)
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:21 (Ref:702582)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
maybe he has decided to stay a larger fish in a smaller pond! Not wishing to knock his obvious talent but it must be a bit easier to compete against drivers mostly 20+ years older than your peers. If I was in his shoes I would seriously consider staying in historics (so long as there were enough wealthy owners looking for a hot "pilote")
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:44 (Ref:702609)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's gotta be tempted by the bright lights though
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:59 (Ref:702629)   #4
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see him try out against some historic hot kiddies like Neil Fowler and Ollie Smith.

He may well be talented but we just don't know at present although Autosport seem convinced (although what they base it on is anyone's guess)
Old 29 Aug 2003, 18:06 (Ref:702930)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He has not done any karting either which is interesting. Just driving around the farm on tractors for years since a small boy. Some of the F.Junior guys are very quick and he can beat them! So yes, a head to head in historic FF would really show how good he is - in the right car.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 20:11 (Ref:703011)   #6
A. C. E. motors
Rookie

England
Leicestershire UK
A. C. E. motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was speaking to him this weekend and I know he has a computer. Maybe he is reading this. What are your thoughts Adwin?
Old 1 Sep 2003, 06:38 (Ref:704489)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
no karts, tractors on a farm....hmmmmmm that has a familiar ring to it doesn't it
Old 1 Sep 2003, 07:21 (Ref:704515)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
He may well be talented but we just don't know at present although Autosport seem convinced (although what they base it on is anyone's guess)
Did you say "hackbander" or did I just mis-hearyou or even think that? seriously tho what do weekly car mags costing £2.80 base anything on? usually how good a particular reporters relationship is with the driver and/or his family/sponsor or team... and also whether theres any freebie drives being offered their way. We'll thats what I am led to believe anyway...
Old 1 Sep 2003, 07:27 (Ref:704521)   #9
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
well I don't know about Autosport but my opinion is based on seeing him get quicker and quicker to the point where recent F Junior outings have been totally dominant (plus he's no slouch in either the Classic Racing Cars Brabham or that F5000 Lola in the Derek Bell rounds)
Old 1 Sep 2003, 07:47 (Ref:704544)   #10
Roger H
Rookie

Roger H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reality is that if Master Jowsey wants to be taken seriously he will at some time have to race in an accepted modern championship, where his talent can be judged against other 'hungry' drivers.
It has always seemed a shame that some of the oustanding Historic drivers of the past decade have never done this, so their true ability will have to remain a source of conjecture.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 07:57 (Ref:704551)   #11
JR Ewing
Veteran

Spot on Rog.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 08:01 (Ref:704552)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
of course a lot could be down to funds...no point stepping up if you couldn't financially maintain a challenge
Old 1 Sep 2003, 08:05 (Ref:704558)   #13
JR Ewing
Veteran

I don't think cash is an issue here...
Old 1 Sep 2003, 08:07 (Ref:704561)   #14
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I had a very brief chat with his dad at Oulton and I got the impression it was (maybe not the lack of cash, which I honestly can't comment on, but certainly a sense of disbelief at the amounts that needed to spnet on a credible Formula Ford or Formula Renault assault)
Old 1 Sep 2003, 08:37 (Ref:704587)   #15
JR Ewing
Veteran

So why not try out against the Historic FF1600 known drivers then?
Old 1 Sep 2003, 08:46 (Ref:704595)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
good idea..which is why I asked the question
thought somebody might know Ed personally...or maybe he might be a lurker...and be able to offer some insight
Old 2 Sep 2003, 14:33 (Ref:705734)   #17
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps he just wants to have fun...

Why bother with the hassle of FF/FR etc when you can enjoy yourself racing a F5000 etc.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 14:36 (Ref:705736)   #18
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
very good point Flagman
Old 22 Sep 2003, 14:27 (Ref:726494)   #19
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
There's a snippet in the latest Motor Sport where Edwin suggest he's going to move up into a national series next year as he wants to be "a professional driver"
Watch this space I suppose
Old 22 Sep 2003, 19:02 (Ref:726860)   #20
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats the betting he is nominated as Marcus Pye's 'Club racer' in the McLaren Autosport awards!!!
Old 22 Sep 2003, 19:26 (Ref:726891)   #21
JR Ewing
Veteran

Yeah, just the sort of nominee that Marcus Pye would love. OOhhh, historics, classic historics, young lad, rising star, super quick, my Chevron F2, ex-Rosberg. Pye really is a ....head.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 19:30 (Ref:726898)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You clearly don't know him. Marcus has always come across to me as a thoroughly pleasant man and his heart for motor sport in all its forms is most definitely in the right place.

Right - back to topic.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 19:35 (Ref:726903)   #23
JR Ewing
Veteran

edited for offensive personal attack
Old 22 Sep 2003, 21:49 (Ref:727077)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I, too, know Marcus slightly and concur with Tim D. The fact is that Marcus is a true enthusiast particularly for single seaters and he is entitled to express his opinion which he does fairly forthrightly and he does with some conviction .... and knowledge. I'm sure that he is however unlikely to express the sort of view about you, Ewing, even if he knew you, which you have expressed about him. I think your personal comment says far more about you than it does about Marcus. Furthermore, to get back to the subject, Edwin Jowsey would be a very worthy nominee by anyone!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 23 Sep 2003, 07:01 (Ref:727306)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
in short I totally agree with Tim and Johns comments on Marcus Pye.