Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jan 2001, 22:19 (Ref:61219)   #1
Cougarold
Rookie

Cougarold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does everyone think about the changes to the laws regarding traction control? Personally I think that traction control should not be introduced to Formula One as the teams with the bigger budgets will once again superceed the smaller lower budget teams like the Minardi's. This only serves to make the sport less compedative. As I understand it anyway - please prove me wrong!
Old 30 Jan 2001, 23:38 (Ref:61231)   #2
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cougar,

I think you're right. Besides, with traction control we can say goodbye to the skill showed by certain drivers in the start -ie, Villeneuve, Hakkinen-...
Old 30 Jan 2001, 23:39 (Ref:61232)   #3
GURRYP
Racer

GURRYP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you disregard the pro's & con's of traction control & it's effect on the level of driver skill required, I would think that the cost to the teams would be neglible.

For the last few seasons they have been busily working their way round the rules banning traction control. The teams have been developing other methods of achieving the same effect. Now they can use a direct approach, rather than the backdoor. So any additional cost for installing traction control will be outweighed by the savings in research.

There again I could be completely wrong.........

Old 31 Jan 2001, 00:12 (Ref:61241)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The majority of teams that were using it in '95 are still with us. Those that aren't have evolved into new teams that should still have access to the software and such that was being used. All the technology exists.

The only difference I can see is that the number of permitted sensors is reduced.

The costs should be, as GURRYP says, negligible.
Old 31 Jan 2001, 11:05 (Ref:61314)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Even the drivers themselves cannot agree whether trax is good, bad, help the lesser drivers, increase the gap between the better drivers from the pack. If they cannot agree, with the help of their knowledge and experience, there is really very little for us to opine except to say that now the cheating in this direction will be negated by the rules. Again, there also seems to be a difference of opinion here on this point. Personally, I agree with TGF in that the really gifted drivers will get an even greater superiority over the rest in that they will be able to use trax to their advantage to corner even much faster than the others. BUT what the heck do I know? Only that I am glad my Volvo has TRAX. But I have never driven a car at even half the speed that these guys do, let alone speed round corners where fools would be busy looking for toilet paper instead.
Old 31 Jan 2001, 11:37 (Ref:61320)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am undecided. One hand, it takes away dirver skill. Yet, F1 is all about being the pinnacle of automotive technology. So maybe they should have it. I guess I just have to wait to the Spainish GP when it is introduced.
Old 31 Jan 2001, 12:56 (Ref:61331)   #7
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a purist I have to say that traction control id bad and it should have no place in Formula One...

However... contemporary F1 cars do not promote good racing. There is too much emphasis on aerodynamics and not enough on mechanical grip / suspension set up. Thus, if traction control improves the racing i.e. allows for overtaking all the better. if it does not improve the chance to overtake significantly it should go.

Not only are we not going to see drivers make places up at the start but drivers tyre nursing skills will no come into play. Remember in 1997 when Schumacher shredded his rear tyres at every virtually every race? No wonder he wants TC back!!

I want to see better racing. I do not want to see TC back in f1 but if TC improves the racing I do not know what to think!
Old 31 Jan 2001, 23:17 (Ref:61508)   #8
Chrisrb
Rookie

Chrisrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isnt It a bit odd to only allow TC from the Spanish GP do the FIA honestly beleive that the teams will not me running the systems in the prior races because I'm sure that they wont wan to introduce new code into their tried and tested systems so are all the cars going to be declared illegal a la canada '93 for the first few races. or am I just being cynical...