Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Oct 2018, 01:09 (Ref:3856034)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Egg Testing, 2019 Style

Testing 1-2-3-4

Different circuits to test at would make sense for car development you would think. The GMS and GSR teams used to test just about everywhere for Yokohama and Bridgestone, and it definitely improved their vehicle performance...

Although cost in travelling a distance to other venues outside your home state may be expensive... and unbudgeted...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Oct 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3856100)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget Craig Lowndes/Mark Skaife era HRT used to do a lot of testing around Eastern Creek.

Seems like a decent approach but 2 days is woeful. As I spoke to several people about this once, give the teams 21 days testing with seven days held on the Thursday before an event at tracks like Adelaide, Bathrust, etc. (Give the teams a good variety of tracks like street, tight and twisty, etc) The other 14 days are up to the team with a selection of 4 tracks. (Queensland Raceway, Sydney Motorsport Park, Winton and The Bend)
Old 12 Oct 2018, 01:28 (Ref:3856182)   #3
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time for a performance based allocation of test days. Finish high enough, you get 6, then 8-10 for the mid-field, and 12 for back end teams.

Give the likes of T8, DJRTP or anyone with a decent budget to support it and they'll be out there and the performance gap will just increase. This way the teams up the back are given a chance to try and close the gap up with a few more days and try some things out.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 01:34 (Ref:3856183)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Except testing and development is expensive in it's own right.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 06:30 (Ref:3856194)   #5
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Except testing and development is expensive in it's own right.
But better to do it on the test track than at the race meeting, where results are hindered for the unlucky "development mule" driver.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 08:53 (Ref:3856213)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they want cost containment, reign in the cubic dollars spent on front uprights.

As for testing, the Monday after the event sounds like an ideal time.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3856223)   #7
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If they want cost containment, reign in the cubic dollars spent on front uprights.
Think it's time for a control suspension and steering package.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3856409)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Think it's time for a control suspension and steering package.
Well... we can all guess the winning tenderer before they put the RFQ into the market...

Although this year’s Bathurst winner ate 3 steering racks during the week on their way to the win..
Old 13 Oct 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3856435)   #9
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Well... we can all guess the winning tenderer before they put the RFQ into the market...
It should better be Harrop Engineering or Pace Innovations or similar and not a competing Supercars team!
Old 13 Oct 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3856448)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
It should better be Harrop Engineering or Pace Innovations or similar and not a competing Supercars team!
You mean like all the other components in the chassis?
Old 13 Oct 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3856552)   #11
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do a case study on the trans-axles, take your findings and do the exact opposite next time you choose a product/supplier
Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:22 (Ref:3856743)   #12
Wazzi
Rookie

Australia
Bilpin NSW
Wazzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Denosaur;3856182]Time for a performance based allocation of test days. Finish high enough, you get 6, then 8-10 for the mid-field, and 12 for back end teams.

This is a great idea, but to sensible for the decision makers!!
Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:24 (Ref:3856744)   #13
Wazzi
Rookie

Australia
Bilpin NSW
Wazzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

As for testing, the Monday after the event sounds like an ideal time.
Whilst testing on a Monday sounds good in theory, it could be a disaster for cars suffering significant damage on the weekend, Testing on the Thursday (or Friday of a two day event) seems much fairer
Old 14 Oct 2018, 01:27 (Ref:3856746)   #14
Umai Naa
Veteran

Obviously you wouldn't make it mandatory.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 22:01 (Ref:3857182)   #15
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzi View Post
This is a great idea, but to sensible for the decision makers!!
Oh yes, too sensible...and would probably be deemed too cost erosive to the lower end teams.

They seem to take a leaf out of everyone else's book to try and make the show better, so why don't they take a testing leaf out and hire some of the tracks out a day or two longer, run some ride days and then a test after the event. Allow those that qualify for the additional days to run, whilst the others go home and so on.

But what would I know, I'm just viewed as a armchair critic...even thou I deal with a portfolio of work the value of probably 2, maybe 3, teams budgets a year...
Old 17 Oct 2018, 05:29 (Ref:3857215)   #16
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Oh yes, too sensible...and would probably be deemed too cost erosive to the lower end teams.

They seem to take a leaf out of everyone else's book to try and make the show better, so why don't they take a testing leaf out and hire some of the tracks out a day or two longer, run some ride days and then a test after the event. Allow those that qualify for the additional days to run, whilst the others go home and so on.

But what would I know, I'm just viewed as a armchair critic...even thou I deal with a portfolio of work the value of probably 2, maybe 3, teams budgets a year...
They already do run ride days after some rounds. Sandown is the biggest, I believe, with both Monday and Tuesday used.