Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 2 Feb 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1215211)   #1
pootles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Berkshire
pootles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some set up advice for my track car please

morning gang. I am trying to set up my track car golf gti mk2. All stripped out now except the dash. Going to fit a cage seen a couple, has anyone got any suggestions? Also, for track use only what seats would you go for? Someone reccommended using pretty worn god quality road tyres for dry days. Is this a good idea. Went to Brands to watch a day on Sunday. Missed the safety briefing. Whatsort of stuff can be expected?

I have waited forty years for this so as you can imagine I'm over the moon to be here. If there are any general comments, and keep 'em clean, I'd love to hear them. Tat ta for now.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1215452)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That sounds like fun.

On the subject of the seat, get one that fits! When you start sliding you want it to be the car that you feel not just your bum moving on the seat!

As for tyres. Starting off with road tyres is a good idea. Don't buy new ones, you'll only hurt them as the tread moves around. Anything with 4mm left on them is a good starting point. Fully worn aren't good either - road tyres are meant to be used when they still have legal tread on them.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1215749)   #3
pootles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Berkshire
cheers Adam. what about a cage and harness any specifics to consider??????
Old 2 Feb 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1215916)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A lot of people use normal belts and have no cage, but as you have a dedicated car, why not. It is safer!

A cage will add rigidity to your car too. As you have a Mk2 Golf then it isn't like it left the factory however good nick it is in. I've bought both mine from Safety Devices. I imagine that it would be easier to source on for a Golf.

Harnesses, as with most things, go for what you can afford. It will make it feel like a track car too! At least a four point harness, but try a six. Look how many of the standard harness points you can use (they are built for it, but check all is well) and weld a decent plate underneath with eye hole (easy to make, but cheap decent ones are available from Demon Tweaks etc...). Although some belts can be looped round a rear part of the roll cage (although I've never done this and I don't think I like the idea they might slide (?). A six needs more fitting, with a plate under the floor, but it does stop the lap belt riding up. Wider belts are better too, it spreads the load. Go for 3" wide (these are minimum FIA standard now, I think).

Remember a lot of (performance) enhancements can be done a step at a time. If you are new to track days it'll take you time to get up to speed anyway, so no need to rush the car. It'll be fun learning too - seeing the difference in the car and yourself.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1216865)   #5
pootles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Berkshire
Hello Adam me again!! I've sourced a pair of cobra seats and they fit!! ha ha! Had the beast checked over by a mechi. No major finds just gona replace the belt and give it a bit of a service. Missed a good cage on ebay the other night but the seats and the harnesses we were lucky with.

The same bloke was selling loads for a MkII golf. we got a good list of spares from him. Am currently in the negotiation phase. Hope to be ready for March. Cage or no cage to start with. I guess we will just have to keep it on it's wheels!!!!

Cheers for the tips. We are looking forward to the learning curve.

Poots.