Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Apr 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3895086)   #151
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
And recently, Honda Civic.

...and I think the Subaru's were estates?

An Alfa 156 Sportwagon has raced in the Alfa chanpionship, I seem to remember, also a van in the VW series.

Many years ago a Mini Pick-up complete with hard-top raced in special saloons.
Old 3 Apr 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3895089)   #152
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What Goodwood wants Goodwood has! While we are here, do you remember the Peugeot 806 seen at Spa and built by the excellent team Kronos?
http://www.endurance-classic.com/fr/...heures-de-spa/
A typical belgian story because the drivers were Flamish, Wallon and Bruxellois! Des garçons qui ont la frite! 1995 may be?
Old 3 Apr 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3895095)   #153
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Not to mention a Wolseley Hornet - I have a a bit of a soft spot for the Hornet and the Elf

I was quite surprised to see the Countryman - there are some pictures on Facebook of the build by Owens Fabrication. When I have looked in the past it seemed that most touring car series included a regulation along the lines of "2+2, estate and van models not permitted" - can anyone shed any light upon this? I assume because those models are not "touring cars" per se - obviously in this case Goodwood can choose whichever models they like for their grid, but what about the regular Pre-66 series?

I wonder if there are any period examples of those models racing, surely it has happened in club level events.
Not circuit racing I know but there was a supercharged Mini Traveller that used to compete in Autocross locally in the late 60's early 70's, known affectionately as 'Woodworm'!
(Presumably the one entered for Goodwood being a Countryman will be the model without the wood?)
Old 3 Apr 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3895096)   #154
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Not circuit racing I know but there was a supercharged Mini Traveller that used to compete in Autocross locally in the late 60's early 70's, known affectionately as 'Woodworm'!
(Presumably the one entered for Goodwood being a Countryman will be the model without the wood?)
No, it’s a woody, from the pic on Goody website.....
Old 3 Apr 2019, 15:25 (Ref:3895098)   #155
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
No, it’s a woody, from the pic on Goody website.....
A woody from Goody Mike? Very good!
Old 3 Apr 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3895100)   #156
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Traveller was a Morris, Countryman an Austin, both woodies although I think they were eventually built without wood. The Clubman estate just had a plank of plastic along the side.
Old 3 Apr 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3895101)   #157
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Traveller was a Morris, Countryman an Austin, both woodies although I think they were eventually built without wood. The Clubman estate just had a plank of plastic along the side.
Thanks John, I'd just assumed...
I wonder if the wood was an extra cost or what they now call a 'no cost delete option'? I remember both versions being available at the same time back in the day.
Old 3 Apr 2019, 15:55 (Ref:3895103)   #158
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Do you think they will invite some diesels in the coming years?
Old 3 Apr 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3895120)   #159
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't remember a Mini Estate without the wood on the side. We had a van converted with windows in, but it definitely started life as a van not an estate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Apr 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3895139)   #160
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I don't remember a Mini Estate without the wood on the side. We had a van converted with windows in, but it definitely started life as a van not an estate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The all-steel Mini Traveller/Countryman was introduced in April 1961, initially for export only, and then brought onto the home market in October 1962.

It's all here! www.minitravellerandcountrymanregister.org
Old 3 Apr 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3895145)   #161
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having just looked at a picture from the site that John has linked to, it does jog my memory and I can remember them back then.

In fact, thinking about it, I seem to recall that there is a video on Youtube where one was used to be a camera car on a track to film a competition car in action on a track - can't remember either the track or the car in question.
Old 4 Apr 2019, 07:55 (Ref:3895195)   #162
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Many years ago a Mini Pick-up complete with hard-top raced in special saloons.
Looking back to the 70's Special Saloon scene there was also Ginger Marshall's Clubman estate
Old 4 Apr 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3895196)   #163
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
One of my Dads photo's . . . . speed trials around 1971 I think. fully fia compliant by the look of it.
Attached Thumbnails
minitraveller dragracer.jpg  
Old 4 Apr 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3895198)   #164
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Looking back to the 70's Special Saloon scene there was also Ginger Marshall's Clubman estate
I don't recall the Clubman, just his Reliant Kitten. Does that class as an estate?
Old 4 Apr 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3895200)   #165
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Do you think they will invite some diesels in the coming years?
Already done Gerard, Peugeot 90X are there this weekend for demonstration...
Old 4 Apr 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3895201)   #166
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Wonder what is fitted at the rear of Joe's dad picture… Tail parachute or tow ball?
Old 4 Apr 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3895202)   #167
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Already done Gerard, Peugeot 90X are there this weekend for demonstration...
Ha yes? How fast things go, looks modern to people of my age. I guess they're using a FAP (Filtre Ã* Particules) also said Particle Filter. Probably we'll see Touring Cars like 3 Series Bimmers an other Pugs very soon then.

I see tickets are sold out. Already a success.

Last edited by Gerard C; 4 Apr 2019 at 09:00.
Old 4 Apr 2019, 09:03 (Ref:3895206)   #168
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
I don't recall the Clubman, just his Reliant Kitten. Does that class as an estate?
The Clubman was before his Kitten, but if I remember correctly (which isn't so often nowadays!) was the same (or a similar) colour.
I suppose the Kitten was a further development of the same thing.
Old 4 Apr 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3895210)   #169
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Could someone with influence turn on the free live streaming button please?
Asking is for free and if you dont ask…
Old 4 Apr 2019, 09:48 (Ref:3895214)   #170
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Could someone with influence turn on the free live streaming button please?
Asking is for free and if you dont ask…
I have yet to try it (obviously!) but not sure what is live.... from the Goody youtube account. Maybe the total 'free' package is only for Goody Fellows members?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uoMNP8sLug

Quote:
How to watch the 77th Members' Meeting

Goodwood Road & Racing
Published on 21 Mar 2019

To experience Members’ Meeting throughout the weekend from home you can listen to Goodwood Radio, read the live blog and view free highlight clips and a selection of free live races online and on ITV4. To watch the full, uninterrupted, two-day experience of the 77th Members’ Meeting live stream, you can join the growing GRRC community by becoming a GRRC Fellow, to enjoy the Members’ Meeting and a host of other year-round benefits.

Join the GRRC Fellowship here: https://www.goodwood.com/grr/join/fel...

Official Website: https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/
SUBSCRIBE for more great Goodwood Road & Racing videos here - http://bit.ly/GoodwoodTV
Buy your Goodwood Racing tickets - www.goodwood.com/tickets/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/GoodwoodRRC
Twitter: http://twitter.com/GoodwoodRRC
There is this link as well showing some hope.... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8r...U-pTJ6p7WNiv6w

Last edited by E.B; 4 Apr 2019 at 09:56. Reason: Added the second youtube link at the end of my post, of what is allegedly available
Old 4 Apr 2019, 09:51 (Ref:3895215)   #171
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
I was quite surprised to see the Countryman - there are some pictures on Facebook of the build by Owens Fabrication. When I have looked in the past it seemed that most touring car series included a regulation along the lines of "2+2, estate and van models not permitted" - can anyone shed any light upon this? I assume because those models are not "touring cars" per se - obviously in this case Goodwood can choose whichever models they like for their grid, but what about the regular Pre-66 series?
I wonder if there are any period examples of those models racing, surely it has happened in club level events.

HRSR/HSCC Historic Touring Cars has almost exactly that wording excluding 2+2 and estate cars/vans in it's regulations.

Back in the late 50s/early60s there was an Austin A30 or A35 pick-up raced in the north at Croft, Full Sutton, Ouston, etc. plus hillclimbs at Catterick Garison. The driver was well known here up north but I've forgotten his name! The car still exists and is regularly displayed at the Croft Nostalgia meeting in August. I've talked to it's present owner several times. Can't find a pic on the interweb unfortunately.
Old 4 Apr 2019, 09:57 (Ref:3895222)   #172
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
HRSR/HSCC Historic Touring Cars has almost exactly that wording excluding 2+2 and estate cars/vans in it's regulations.

Back in the late 50s/early60s there was an Austin A30 or A35 pick-up raced in the north at Croft, Full Sutton, Ouston, etc. plus hillclimbs at Catterick Garison. The driver was well known here up north but I've forgotten his name! The car still exists and is regularly displayed at the Croft Nostalgia meeting in August. I've talked to it's present owner several times. Can't find a pic on the interweb unfortunately.
Just did a quick search - Jimmy Blumer raced a Downton-prepared A35 Pick-up on the Northern & Scottish circuits.

Didn't he subsequently race a Cortina, either GT or Lotus?
Old 4 Apr 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3895235)   #173
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The Clubman was interesting because its roof was depressed by air pressure to the rear. A perfect demonstration of the aerodynamics and was inspiration for the TWR Volvos. *Not my research, I recall reading about it in C&CC.
Old 4 Apr 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3895236)   #174
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Jimmy Blumer. I don't remember him racing Cortinas but MkI or MkII Jags come to mind and sports racing cars of different types.
Old 4 Apr 2019, 12:06 (Ref:3895245)   #175
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Yes, Jimmy Blumer. I don't remember him racing Cortinas but MkI or MkII Jags come to mind and sports racing cars of different types.
In 1962 he shared an Equipe Endeavour Jaguar Mk2 with Mike Parkes to win the Motor Six Hours & then in 1963 he came fifth overall in the BSCC with an Alan Andrews Racing Cortina GT. As you say, he also raced various sports cars.