Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jan 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3880181)   #1276
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
How long would a parade full of electric milk floats take to reach their destination?

I noted roller-skates were suggested as one option. Not quite the same carrying capacity as a 40-tonner.
Not seen an electric milk float for a very long time. At least not a working one.

Maybe someone could come up with a chassis made of 2 or more electric bicycles?

I think they should insist on horses as a prelude for our exciting future ...

... or would the potential pollution be too much?

Maybe they think that PETA would appear to frighten the animals as they seem to enjoy such activities.

I'm quite fond of the idea of vehicle free cities with livestock being herded through the streets to slaughter houses, that options being more cost effective than out of town slaughter and armies of people with shoulder poles shifting the meat to the places of consumption.

Moving the population to a fully vegan diet might require even more biped goods carriers. A business expansion option for Deliveroo?

Norwich needs to be sure that it does not simply become a city that the trials the concept for those denizens of London who are occasional visitors. London really should do its own social development.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 14:38 (Ref:3880182)   #1277
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I noted roller-skates were suggested as one option. Not quite the same carrying capacity as a 40-tonner.

I would imagine you can probably find roller skates with that sort of load capacity with a bit of searching. Some parts of the world might be better search targets than others.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3880190)   #1278
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
How long would a parade full of electric milk floats take to reach their destination?

These? https://www.slingsby.com/Handling-Li...ler_326317.htm
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:06 (Ref:3880192)   #1279
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That's a bit rich, coming from a man in Wiltshire!
Arr me lovely, we b'ain't got no time fur April Fools nonsense we's too busy raking the moon from the pond.

Which allegedly happened in our local town.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3880193)   #1280
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Speaking of which, we have electric milk floats round here Grant - which is bl***y dangerous when you you come upon one in the dark because their lights are awful.

Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:11 (Ref:3880196)   #1281
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Speaking about electric devices, I just bought two led lamps from Draper. Of course both came with funny UK plugs. May be I'm preparing a kind of escape and dont want to admit it! You never know with those blooming Froggies!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:24 (Ref:3880199)   #1282
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Speaking about electric devices, I just bought two led lamps from Draper. Of course both came with funny UK plugs. May be I'm preparing a kind of escape and dont want to admit it! You never know with those blooming Froggies!

Are you worried about Frexit, Gerard?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:25 (Ref:3880200)   #1283
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Arr me lovely, we b'ain't got no time fur April Fools nonsense we's too busy raking the moon from the pond.

Which allegedly happened in our local town.

Is that the real reason the moon was a funny colour last week?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:27 (Ref:3880201)   #1284
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Speaking of which, we have electric milk floats round here Grant - which is bl***y dangerous when you you come upon one in the dark because their lights are awful.

Are they still made in any form? I remember our local hospital in Surrey had one or two van versions for trundling round their estate.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3880203)   #1285
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Ahh.

Around here we "progressed" to diesel things years ago. In recent times they have even become relatively quiet - though lit up like a Cruise Liner.

I suspect that the number of people still having doorstep deliveries is tiny - 2 in our close and we are one of them. The other is a chap who was widowed some years ago and lives alone so hardly any volume to build on and the attempts to deliver other products are random.

I suspect the round is about 100 miles a night. Maybe more out our way. The depot is about 20 miles from us. Deliveries 2 days a week. Even at the delivered price it must be difficult to make it pay.

They might be able to go electric again if the commercial manufacturers get their act together. And if they can put in the infrastructure to charge fast enough.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3880205)   #1286
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
They look like quite good value.

Might need some steering though.

I suspect the old roller skate 'lean to steer' approach might be a little ineffective for those devices.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:36 (Ref:3880206)   #1287
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Ahh.

They might be able to go electric again if the commercial manufacturers get their act together. And if they can put in the infrastructure to charge fast enough.
Well whadd'ya know?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...ric-milk-float

http://www.milkfloats.org.uk/builders.html

You can tell I'm a bit bored at work today can't you?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3880207)   #1288
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
They look like quite good value.

Might need some steering though.

I suspect the old roller skate 'lean to steer' approach might be a little ineffective for those devices.
Those are the old style. We used 60te skates to move a 3500te topsides facility in the UAE a few years ago. They have steering capability as well as jacking so you slip them under the load then raise them. Quite spectacular in an engineering kind of way.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:43 (Ref:3880208)   #1289
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Are they still made in any form? I remember our local hospital in Surrey had one or two van versions for trundling round their estate.
Hmm.

Not sure about the traditional look version but here's a new take.

75 mile range.

EDIT: I see Peter got in before me ....!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3880209)   #1290
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Are you worried about Frexit, Gerard?
Worried??? Not at all… I'm praying for! And I train myself a lot. When something goes wrong I say "oops daisy" and when something could go wrong I say "Incha"…
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3880210)   #1291
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Well whadd'ya know?

http://www.milkfloats.org.uk/builders.html

You can tell I'm a bit bored at work today can't you?

Er, I'm sure you mean you are doing vital research Peter.

Right?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 16:00 (Ref:3880214)   #1292
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Didn't British Railways use an electric truck for ferrying parcels around stations etc, as modelled by Dinky Toys many years ago?

I don't mean the Scammell Scarab, which I don't think was electric?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 16:21 (Ref:3880218)   #1293
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To add to the list of electric vans in the 60s, around where we lived, once a week laundry would be picked up and delivered by Ilford Laundry, which was about 15 miles away, in an electric van. And I seem to recall Harrods also had some which delivered in the area.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3880220)   #1294
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I read that article in Autocar regarding the DHL electric ‘float. We already have electric Nissan and Renault vans, plus Transit, Merc & PSA/Vauxhall on the way, so it’s happening. A locally well known Game Butcher in Norwich has been using a Nissan e-NV200 around the City since they first came out. A complete no-brainer for city work.

As for milk floats though, I’m amazed to see the odd delivery round still happening. Diesel tranny usually around here though!

If anyone ever visits the Soho Farmhouse country club, they’ll find all the on-site vehicles are electric (except tractors so far), including some trad floats converted into people carriers!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3880221)   #1295
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
If we are talking about the traditional milkman, there's one in our village.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 16:38 (Ref:3880223)   #1296
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If we are talking about the traditional milkman, there's one in our village.
Must be a struggle to make a living as one nowadays, I’d have thought?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3880224)   #1297
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
There used to be an old battery powered electric bus (either a converted milk float or made by the same manufacturers) running people in & out of the Cornish town of Polperro a few years ago. I've not been there for a couple of years or so, but I expect it's still running.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3880229)   #1298
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Must be a struggle to make a living as one nowadays, I’d have thought?
Agreed! This kind of business is totally cat-astrophic…
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3880233)   #1299
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was, actually, nominally the registered owner of an ex Express Diaries milk float in the later part of the 1970s. At the time I was a member of our local Round Table, and as the chair of our fund raising committee one year I got volunteered to have the ex float, which was donated by the dairy to us, registered to me.

Up until when we got the float, we had used to tow around a "sleigh" with a Santa in it, for two weeks before Christmas raising money to buy food to creat hampers for those less fortunate than ourselves. However, the trailer had seen far better days and needed to be replaced, and also no member wanted to either drive around every evening for a fortnight towing it, or was prepared to let others take turns.

So, somebody, possibly joking, said why not try and get an old milk float, encase the body and build a gable roof with a big chimney so that Father Christmas could stick out the top of the chimney and wave to all and sundry. And that's what we did; built the house on it, and fixed speakers on to it to play carols from. The only problem was that on the first night out with it, it ran out of power before we got it back to the industrial shed where we stored it, courtesy of a local builder. So we had to install the charger inside the house in case it happened again, and alter it to work on single phase rather than the triple phase.

And when I "retired" from the Round Table in 1988 it was still going strong, with just one change of batteries by and courtesy of Express during that time.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3880236)   #1300
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
With the weather forecast here it’s a no-brainier!

Just received my 2019 race licence- sorry, ‘MSUK Membership Card’, and thought it was some else’s. Possibly a convicted thug from the pic! A curse on modern passport photo requirements- why can’t we at least be smiling.....
Yes my Bus Pass looks like I've just watched cycling for a hour (at least)...hahaha
Closed Thread