Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Jun 2019, 20:38 (Ref:3911123)   #51
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
If the Subaru was dominating then by all means equalise it by attaching a caravan full of fat people. It however is making the numbers up, despite having arguably the best driver in the series at the wheel.

I understand why the BMW has been pegged, even though I don't like this equalisation stuff.

Could be in for some mild moistness by mid afternoon...
Old 15 Jun 2019, 20:41 (Ref:3911124)   #52
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0U170NS View Post
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/144117/smith-barred-from-session-for-test-rules-breach

Anyone else see this? Apparently Rob Smith wasn't allowed to take part in first practice for a a breach of testing rules. What an absolutely pointless rule. I would put it to Mr Gow on the official forum but he'll probably give his typical arrogant answer. Someone else's fault no doubt
Doesn’t seem like a pointless rule to me, especially this year when the circuit has been resurfaced. Testing in any car would give you an idea of how much more grip there was this year. That’s an advantage however you look at it.
Old 15 Jun 2019, 20:59 (Ref:3911147)   #53
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What other race series would have this rule?
Doesn't matter what other series do/do not have this rule. The point is that BTCC does, and as a BTCC driver you will be expected to abide by those rules.

It's not's if the rule was unclear.
Quote:
For the avoidance of doubt any testing or competing by any registered driver, team or entrant of any kind whatsoever and regardless of the type of vehicle cannot be undertaken at a venue using a circuit configuration which largely consists of that which is used at a Meeting of the 2019 Championship until after that Meeting, unless with the specific written authorisation of the Administrator.
Old 15 Jun 2019, 21:25 (Ref:3911193)   #54
B0U170NS
Racer

B0U170NS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Doesn't matter what other series do/do not have this rule. The point is that BTCC does, and as a BTCC driver you will be expected to abide by those rules.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but, under this rule, if a driver such as Tom Onslow Cole replaced another driver in the latter part of the championship, for Silverstone (hypothetical I know but could happen), would he be stopped from taking part in first practice due to already racing at Silverstone in both blancpain gt and gt open?
Old 15 Jun 2019, 21:40 (Ref:3911213)   #55
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Blancpain and Open GT are both on the Silverstone GP layout; BTCC is on the National layout; so depends if you count that as "a circuit configuration which largely consists of that which is used at a [BTCC] meeting". I suspect it would be considered that the GP circuit is significantly different to not be an issue.
Old 15 Jun 2019, 21:52 (Ref:3911228)   #56
Maxpower1
Rookie

Maxpower1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So does that mean cook won't be allowed to take part in free practice one at snetterton as he raced there in the focus cup last month, and like wise with hill and Ingram who both raced in the historic masters last month at brands on the gp layout?
Old 15 Jun 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3911247)   #57
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But teams / drivers don't have the money to do unlimited testing.
Would it have really give Rob Smith an advantage.

Some drivers/teams have significantly more money than others. Hell, WSR have just dropped 900k on building the BMs as an example. The testing rules are there to level the field as much as possible from a finance perspective.
Old 15 Jun 2019, 22:32 (Ref:3911294)   #58
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Quite a lot of series have this rule or a similar rule. Before the testing ban in Formula One, it had the same rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

More to the point, if you ask permission in advance they very rarely say no.
Old 15 Jun 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3911311)   #59
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

A significant number or career series do. Common sense.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 10:57 (Ref:3911804)   #60
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Can anyone paraphrase what Turkington said during the quali session stoppage, I think he was commenting on the differences between the 1 series? I was trying to listen but I had the dog barking and general chaos going on in the background. I heard him mention that the 3 series was better in the high speed stuff but I never caught the rest.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3911838)   #61
Londoner
Racer

Londoner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of these SC calls have been a bit suspect. Collard's car was in a dangerous place and it took them over a lap to scramble it.

Oh look, Ollie Jackson buried in a gravel trap. I'm sure he's a nice bloke but he's wasting the potential of that Focus.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 11:28 (Ref:3911846)   #62
redshoes
Veteran

Jackson was lucky the tyre let go under safety car and not at full race place. With the bodywork rubbing on the tyre that much, it was only a matter of time before the tyre popped.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3912191)   #63
Londoner
Racer

Nice one Ash Sutton. Can't pass Smiley properly so just punts him off on the final lap.

I do wonder if the NGTC regulations are past their peak, because this season isn't feeling as fresh or exciting like previous years.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3912193)   #64
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
Nice one Ash Sutton. Can't pass Smiley properly so just punts him off on the final lap
you need to look at it properly
he didnt punt him off
Old 16 Jun 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3912194)   #65
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where is the safety car when turks needs it ?
Old 16 Jun 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3912195)   #66
Londoner
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
you need to look at it properly
he didnt punt him off
I looked at it again, still looks like a punt.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 14:32 (Ref:3912197)   #67
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it wasn't a punt. Nevertheless, Subaru seems pretty slow around Croft, I sort of expected more of them, especially Sutton.
Jordan's gelled with a new BMW very well, he's so quick, I'd say this is his big chance to have a shot at title, he hasn't been in such a situation since he left Eurotech, I believe. R3 will be an important one for AJ, he needs to find consistency.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 14:36 (Ref:3912199)   #68
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
No, it wasn't a punt. Nevertheless, Subaru seems pretty slow around Croft, I sort of expected more of them, especially Sutton.
Jordan's gelled with a new BMW very well, he's so quick, I'd say this is his big chance to have a shot at title, he hasn't been in such a situation since he left Eurotech, I believe. R3 will be an important one for AJ, he needs to find consistency.
I don't think RWD is an advantage at Croft anymore. The BMWs are dominating cos they're fast everywhere.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 15:00 (Ref:3912201)   #69
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post

I do wonder if the NGTC regulations are past their peak, because this season isn't feeling as fresh or exciting like previous years.
I've thought this as well this season, at times racing has been precessional, BMW seem to be walking it, generally doesn't seem as interesting
Old 16 Jun 2019, 15:42 (Ref:3912208)   #70
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would disagree with that, maybe because I watch DTM and Supercars as well, and for me BTCC races are not boring at all. Yes, there were 'wilder' races in the past but I think it's not all about overtaking, contacts and so on. I enjoy this year's BTCC. BMW seems to be dominating but well... the best should be winning!
Old 16 Jun 2019, 15:42 (Ref:3912209)   #71
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1 lap into the Porsche race, this is by far the best Porsche race I've seen.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 16:13 (Ref:3912214)   #72
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just announced trackside that Sutton has a 5-place grid penalty.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3912217)   #73
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wet shod cars at the back should pit and put slicks on.
Old 16 Jun 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3912222)   #74
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rather disastrous decision by Tingram
Old 16 Jun 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3912223)   #75
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Was worth a shot for a bit of fun.

Eh weekend suppose. Was alright.