Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3143102)   #26
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Looks good imo, the placement of Austin makes sense, the schedule also allows teams to do Sebring as well.

I think we'll have a bunch of takers as it will be the last time P1s can enter Sebring.

Bahrain as season finale isn't more or less boring than Shanghai, at least the night race should have a nice atmosphere.
I'd like to think we'll see a few teams kicking off their season with Sebring, the schedule allows it, and it's undeniably good at ironing out kinks with the car.

Personal preference would see me choose Shanghai over Bahrain every time as a season finale, but I can see how other arguments can be made.

If Silverstone genuinely is a double header with ELMS I'll be genuinely interested to see how that pans out, equally what European season post Le Mans looks like.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:37 (Ref:3143115)   #27
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any info about the elms calendar?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:39 (Ref:3143116)   #28
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
So no 10 race schedule, with a round in India and in Russia, as rumored.
I agree that 10 races would be much better... but I think they are dealing with great care regarding the needed budgets and prefer to get bigger grids before expanding the schedule. Also they to have to keep in mind the big unknown regarding the merger in 2014.

Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3143126)   #29
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Disappointing to my eyes.

Silverstone in April doesn't fill me with big joy, nor does its proximity to Spa.

The long sequence of fly-aways post Le Mans also raises questions in my mind about how many cars we'll see making the trip.
Good three points, yep, that's far from ideal.

Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3143131)   #30
SpikerJack
Racer

Italy
SpikerJack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Typical FIA degrading of the venues. Oh well, good to see the cars at Spa and LM.
Even sebring didn't survive..
Maybe they should replace SPA with India and LM with a "2,4 hours of the world-know historical circuit of Sochi" that is perfect for broadcasting.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3143147)   #31
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I'm excited about the WEC coming down to Austin - only 3 hours from me up here in Dallas - I am disappointed Sebring is not included. And I'm a bit surprised in the timing of Austin - September?

This year, the weather in Austin was at or near 100 most of the month. Endurance racing with triple digit temperatures will make for an interesting challenge for both the cars and drivers.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:25 (Ref:3143155)   #32
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Austin can be the Bahrain of the West.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3143171)   #33
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Needs more races.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3143174)   #34
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Hindy mentioned the WEC has been working hard on cutting down transportation costs, that's very smart I say.

All these decisions seem to be sensible. The double headers make sense, the careful expansion makes sense... all good if you ask me.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:52 (Ref:3143175)   #35
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hindy mentioned the WEC has been working hard on cutting down transportation costs, that's very smart I say.
Mentioned in the PR too...

"This calendar allows us to send the cars by sea freight rather than by air as many times as possible, which will help drive down the costs for everyone involved in the FIA WEC."

http://www.fiawec.com/2013_Season.html
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:52 (Ref:3143176)   #36
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
And first race at Silverstone on same weekend as Blancpain opener at Monza.... Can they never get it right???
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3143177)   #37
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
And first race at Silverstone on same weekend as Blancpain opener at Monza.... Can they never get it right???
No, they can't. There are just not enough weekends and too many series and events to completely avoid clashes.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:54 (Ref:3143179)   #38
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That was stressed strongly in the ACO press release.
Quote:
Gerard Neveu, CEO of the FIA WEC said: “With the current economic situation it was important to save money on transportation of the cars around the world. This calendar allows us to send the cars by sea freight rather than by air as many times as possible, which will help drive down the costs for everyone involved in the FIA WEC. This is very important for the long term future of the championship and I’m confident that this calendar will allows us to attract more teams and more drivers to the World Endurance Championship next season.”
Old 28 Sep 2012, 13:56 (Ref:3143182)   #39
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Well, I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to attract more entries next year, they turned down people this year which will not be needed next year.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3143189)   #40
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, not sure about that calendar. No Sebring – which is a ‘Classic’, no Petit Le Mans which is a ‘modern classic’. Silverstone in April – what is the thinking behind that? And another 2 month gap after Le Mans...

Could do better.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:04 (Ref:3143190)   #41
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a terrible schedule as far as I am concerned, too few races in Europe, and to an extent in general, and the pointless race in Bahrain, Silverstone in April, blatant chasing of eastern cash. Its not as if it’s a case of "oh it doesn't matter where the races are held, you can watch them on TV wherever", they aren't on proper TV, so why not have them where fans can watch? That' right, so Wolfgang Ullrich and his Japanese equivalent can stand up at the annual accounts meeting and say "racing in China is an ideal opportunity for Audi/Toyota to showcase its market leading technology in an important emerging new market", even though nobody will be there.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3143193)   #42
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Mentioned in the PR too...

"This calendar allows us to send the cars by sea freight rather than by air as many times as possible, which will help drive down the costs for everyone involved in the FIA WEC."

http://www.fiawec.com/2013_Season.html
Given the extensive GAC branding on the Greaves cars I'd like to think they've managed to get the sea freight side of things reasonably well sorted.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3143195)   #43
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
That's a terrible schedule as far as I am concerned, too few races in Europe, and to an extent in general, and the pointless race in Bahrain, Silverstone in April, blatant chasing of eastern cash. Its not as if it’s a case of "oh it doesn't matter where the races are held, you can watch them on TV wherever", they aren't on proper TV, so why not have them where fans can watch? That' right, so Wolfgang Ullrich and his Japanese equivalent can stand up at the annual accounts meeting and say "racing in China is an ideal opportunity for Audi/Toyota to showcase its market leading technology in an important emerging new market", even though nobody will be there.
I'm pretty sure the manufacturers have a good idea about what gives them ROI.

Whether or not there are people in the stands, the China races must be worth it for them. And everything that keeps the manufacturers on board is a good thing, they`re the backbone of this championship.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3143206)   #44
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It a shame the rumoured 12 hour race at Silverstone has not materialised?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:29 (Ref:3143207)   #45
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikerJack View Post
Is there any info about the elms calendar?
According to what was said during the interview with ACO President (?) on RLM, the ELMS calendar should be presented in October.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3143209)   #46
Bill38
Rookie

Bill38 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 Sebring

I see the 2013 schedule has allowed time for the WEC cars to come to Sebring for a pre-season test. It would be GREAT to see a Audi/Toyota race. I hope Sebring will encourage the WEC entrants to come over the pond in March. Maybe Sebring could pay for the transportation cost?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3143210)   #47
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
So no 12H race at Silverstone then?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:36 (Ref:3143211)   #48
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, that we have a big chance of seeing at least Audi racing in Sebring, because at this time, they usually do a lot of testing there. So it would be very cheap and would make a lot of sense to race there
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3143215)   #49
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
So no 12H race at Silverstone then?
Unfortunately, twelve hours of racing in the freezing rain was just too much to ask
Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3143236)   #50
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the manufacturers have a good idea about what gives them ROI.

Whether or not there are people in the stands, the China races must be worth it for them. And everything that keeps the manufacturers on board is a good thing, they`re the backbone of this championship.
To be fair I don't have major beef with China, its an obvious one, I was expecting races in India and Russia. The Bahrain race seems utterly pointless, if you are going to have a race out that way why not open the season with the 24 hours of Dubai, and allow a bit of pre season testing in nice weather. Silverstone in April is just daft, I hope it snows, and I just don't like the lack of races in Europe, why deny that this is where motor racing is most popular (US aside) and where all the teams are from?!