Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 4 May 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1292495)   #1
Supernova
Rookie

United States
Austin Tx
Supernova should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TUI

I am researching the Tui marque and am looking for any information or photos of these cars. Here is what I know so far:

Tui cars were designed by New Zealander Allan McCall who had worked as a mechanic for Jim Clark and then for McLaren in F1, CanAm and USAC. In 1970 McCall produced an F3 car the Tui AM1 (Tui is a bird native to New Zealand). The AM1 consisted of an aluminium monocoque chassis with outboard suspension. Powered by a Broadspeed engine many of the cars parts used were from the McLaren works (uprights, suspension, windscreen etc) - indeed the car was like a small McLaren M7. The car had a wheelbase of 84.5 ins. and a front track of 54 ins. and rear of 56 ins. In Formula B spec the car was very successful winning three out of 5 races and leading the other two!
This Formula 3 car was to form the basis for all the cars which were to follow.

Mcall's next car was to be the AM29 which was initially penned to be an Atlantic car but because Fred Opert (who imported Tui cars) was handling Chevron Atlantics he declined the new car. However he did need Super Vees so the new chassis was adapted with cars to be built by Leda.

In 1972 Allan McCall entered Formula 2 with the Leda-Tui AM29 however the team was devastated by the loss of Hawthorne who was killed at Hockenheim in the early spring. There after, all new cars started with the prefix BH in deference to Bert Hawthorne. The season continued with Dave Morgan and John Watson driving the second car, Morgan managed to put the Tui on pole at Albi and Watson took 5th place at Rouen. McCall was to work again with Watson when he managed the Hexagon Brabham Formula 1 team. McCall also designed the 1973 Techno F1 car.

The AM29 (which was also used in Super Vee) soon became the BH2 and this chassis was entered in the North American Formula Atlantic Championship btween 1975 - 1977. In 1976 the BH2 did moderately well and was in fact the biggest thorn in the side of March's complete dominance. McCall ran the team with Elliott Forbes-Robinson driving. EFR got a pair of seconds to Gilles Villeneuve, and a third. After a disagreement EFR left the team and was replaced by Tom Gloy who also received two seconds and a pole at Laguna Seca's end of season race. Other drivers of the BH2 were Brett Lunger, Damien Magee and John Nicholson.

The BH3 used basically the same tub and served purely as a Super Vee car. The chassis differed from the AM29 in that the rear pick up point for the lower link was moved outboard. Success came to Tui in 1973 with Bertil Roos winning the VW Gold Cup professional Super Vee championship in a Fred Opert Team BH3 car chassis 011. Roos came 2nd in the World Super Vee Championship. As far as I can determine around 1974 the marque started to use the "Supernova" name with the final cars in the series being the BH5 Super Vee of 1975-1976, also known as the SSV75 and the F3 car (SF3). Thanks to Andrew Baker and John Morrison it has been established that the cars were built in Billingshurst, West Sussex (Station Approach) in batches of six. The head technician was Stan Collier and Jerry Judd was the business manager. If anyone can add more information or supply photos please contact me.

Chassis:
AM1 ----------- F3 and FB total number unknown.

AM29 ---------- Super Vee and F2. Total production unknown. AM29/1 destroyed in accident at Hockenheim - Bert Hawthorne killed.

BH2 -------- ex F2 converted to Atlantic and raced in North America. BH2/1 and BH2/2. One BH2 survives and I think it is BH2/2. BH2/3 was to be built but came to nothing. Does anyone know which chassis John Watson drove?

BH3 ------Super Vee I own chassis 011 (Ex Roos championship car). There are a few survivors one owned by Mark Lawton and running in the classic F3 series in the UK. Andrew Baker also owns a BH3 in the UK car was under restoration but I do not know it's current disposition. Various BH3s have been butchered in the US to run in Solo events and several others await restoration. Total production unknow but something between 18 - 21.

Supernova BH4 --- New tub but utilizing much of the BH3 suspension. Pre wings car for 1974 with new bodywork. By this time McCall had nothing to do with the marque.

Supernova BH5 (SSV75) Same tub as BH4 with same bodywork but now with front and rear wings - still air cooled. Good looking car! I own a tub and a few parts to #004. Richard Wilkinson in California owns #007 where it is run in vintage events. Very quick car.

Supernova SF3 : Formula 3 car - 1 only. Little known. Does anyone know what happened to this car?

Thank You,
Mike Short,
Austin Tx.
Old 4 May 2005, 01:14 (Ref:1292504)   #2
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike,

A gentleman in the U.S. by the name of Rob. Laverty was enquiring re. Tui's a few years ago on the Brabham site in the open forum.
www.nvo.com/brabhams, you may be able to contact him as he has/had a Tui.

Bryan Miller.
Old 4 May 2005, 02:06 (Ref:1292513)   #3
Pete Brennan
Rookie

Pete Brennan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have Allans email if you need it
Old 4 May 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1292848)   #4
Supernova
Rookie

United States
Austin Tx
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the information. I have been in touch with Rob in the past and he knew little about the marque (as do most people). As I dig more I am finding tidbits of information, some good and some conjecture. For instance just today I was browsing the OldRacingCars.com site and I noticed that the Mcrae GM1 F5000 car has almost exactly the same nose piece as the Tui F2 car and the Supernova F3 car. This makes sense because both were built by Len Terry's Leda cars. What is interesting is that the Supernova nose even looks as though the moulding is set up for a wider chord front wing like that which would be used in F5000. Maybe I will restore my Supernovea at some point!

Mike Short,
Austin Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Miller
Mike,

A gentleman in the U.S. by the name of Rob. Laverty was enquiring re. Tui's a few years ago on the Brabham site in the open forum.
www.nvo.com/brabhams, you may be able to contact him as he has/had a Tui.

Bryan Miller.
Old 4 May 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1292852)   #5
Supernova
Rookie

United States
Austin Tx
Hello Pete,

I would be grateful for Allan's e-mail --- Thanks. I have been in touch with Allan in the past but he did not add too much to what I already know. I am sure there are many stories lurking. Sometimes I think he is a little reluctant to rekindle memories, some of which are painful (regarding Bert Hawthorne's death). I think this is why I am somewhat hesitant in contacting him.

Mike Short,
Austin Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Brennan
I have Allans email if you need it
Old 4 May 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1293235)   #6
Pete Brennan
Rookie

Pete Brennan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike,it's on its way .Good luck
Old 5 May 2005, 01:47 (Ref:1293322)   #7
jkeller
Rookie

jkeller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the Super V cars is owned by John Hafner from Vancouver Canada who uses it for Autocross and Hillcblimbs. I believe that he shortened the car/wheelbase. The thing has big horsepower (turbo'd) and is increadibly fast.
I'll try and get the chassis number.
A picture of it can be viewed at http://www.caccautosport.org/gallery/album07/P5230123

Jim Keller
Old 5 May 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1293987)   #8
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I can help you there Mike - I drove for Ian William's Supernova SuperVWs 73/4 and 5 including a couple of visits Stateside with Opert, the UK Silver Cup and Euro Gold Cup series those years. A great few seasons. PM me if you will.
It was Ian who bought the Tui thing from Malcolm Bridgelands Malaya Garage at the end of 72.
Old 5 May 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1293990)   #9
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova
... just today I was browsing the OldRacingCars.com site ...
Mike

I was hoping I could help in some way with this research but am quite surprised that I already have! I have some Tui results on the site, for example US 1971 FB, but I have little understanding of those early cars. Presumably that 1971 FB car was the Tui AM1, not a BH2?

Allen
Old 5 May 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1294015)   #10
Supernova
Rookie

United States
Austin Tx
Hi Allen,

I was just looking at those results today and already have a correction to make (to my original message). I noticed that in 1971 there was a total of 6 FB races and it appears that the Tui was entered in 5 of the six winning Mexico City, Edmonton and Brainerd. You are right to say that this was the Tui AM1 F3/FB car. Here is a link to a photo of Hawthorne in the AM1 car.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...39116781ebBeDv

Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown

I was hoping I could help in some way with this research but am quite surprised that I already have! I have some Tui results on the site, for example US 1971 FB, but I have little understanding of those early cars. Presumably that 1971 FB car was the Tui AM1, not a BH2?

Allen

Last edited by Supernova; 5 May 2005 at 22:07. Reason: Incorrect car id. AM1 not BH1
Old 13 May 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1300070)   #11
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm too interested in Tuis to let this thread fade away. We need more information, folks!

Can anyone post the 1970 F3 Tui results? Maybe from the F1 Register book to start with?

Bert Hawthorne's 1971 FB results are:

R2 Monterrey - retired, mechanical (18th)
R3 Mexico City - WON
R4 Edmonton - WON
R5 Brainerd - WON
R6 Elkhart Lake - crashed (32nd)

In 1972, the Leda-Tui appears in European F2 and in US FSV. We have covered the two cars used in F2 but I can add some details of the 1972 FSV season:

Fred Philips "Leda Tui" (from R2 Watkins Glen) - 8 races, 2nd at R3 Road Atlanta
Fred Van Beuren "Leda Tui" (from R2 Watkins Glen) - 7 races
Jon Woodner "Tui" (from R3 Road Atlanta) - 6 races, won at R7 Laguna Seca
Peter Schuster "Leda Tui" (from R4 Donnybrook) - 3 races
Mike Eyerley "Leda Tui" (R6 Portland only) - may have driven Van Beuren's car.
Scooter Patrick "Leda Tui" (from R7 Laguna Seca) - 2 races, could have taken over Schuster's car

So that's at least four FSV cars, more likely five. Presumably these are AM29s, like the F2 cars. Vercoe says Opert ordered eight AM29s for 1972 and that McCall used chassis AM29/7 for F2. I don't know where he got that information from but the number of eight AM29s seems highly plausible.

In 1973, FSV was full of Tui BH3s, run by Roos, Philips, Dave McMillan, Van Beuren, Tom Reddy, Dick Cooney, Bert Everett, Jack Rabold, Eyerley (again just a single guest drive), John Benton, Bill Collins and John Morrison with Steve Griswold (yes, him!) in a Tui AM29. Who built the BH3s? Leda again?

In 1974, the Supernova Tuis appear but the marque was eclipsed in FSV.

Allen
Old 13 May 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1300297)   #12
Supernova
Rookie

United States
Austin Tx
Allen,

Thanks for your contribution. The information about AM29s is interesting and could be accurate. I always wondered which chassis became the F2 car. I have a few more names to add to your list:

Below information comes from 1976 and 1977 Road Racing Annuals:
1975 Season:
1) Bob Lazier who finnished 4th in the VW Gold Cup. He is listed as driving a Lola T324 however photo shows him to be in a BH5 with rear wing and F3 Chevron or March nose with intake tapped off. Competed all races that season. (I have photo of this car)
2) Billy McConnell BH5. Finnished season in 8th place. Sponsored by Essex Chemical. Competed full season. (I have photo)
3) K. K. Ross? According to Fred Opert this is Keke Rosberg. Competed at Watkins (05-10-75) only - 6th place finish.
4) Stu Moore Tui AM29 Competed one race only - Mosport (21-09-75) - finished 7th.

There other drivers in 1975 but chassis are not listed.

1976 Season:
1) Francisco Romero Opert Racing Tui BH5 - Competed 6 races (8th 10th 7th and 8th 2 DNFs).
2) Stuart Moore still using AM29! 7 races (5th 13th 13th 12th 3 DNFs)
3) Bobby Rahal Opert Racing Supernova Tui BH5 - first race of the season only (Daytona Jan 31 1976) Finished 5th. Sposored by Red Roof Inns. (I have photo of Rahal in cockpit).

I also have a photo of Hurley Haywood in a BH3 (Zeitler Team). Appears to be around 1973. Paul Pfanner the current President of "Racer" magazine also had a BH3 but I am not sure of details.

Another little point of interest. Allan McCall told me that one can tell the differance between the AM29 and BH3 by the shape of the side of the monocoque. AM29 has a slightly rounded side to the monocoque where as the BH3 is flat.

Mike Short.

Quote:
I'm too interested in Tuis to let this thread fade away. We need more information, folks!

Can anyone post the 1970 F3 Tui results? Maybe from the F1 Register book to start with?

Bert Hawthorne's 1971 FB results are:

R2 Monterrey - retired, mechanical (18th)
R3 Mexico City - WON
R4 Edmonton - WON
R5 Brainerd - WON
R6 Elkhart Lake - crashed (32nd)

In 1972, the Leda-Tui appears in European F2 and in US FSV. We have covered the two cars used in F2 but I can add some details of the 1972 FSV season:

Fred Philips "Leda Tui" (from R2 Watkins Glen) - 8 races, 2nd at R3 Road Atlanta
Fred Van Beuren "Leda Tui" (from R2 Watkins Glen) - 7 races
Jon Woodner "Tui" (from R3 Road Atlanta) - 6 races, won at R7 Laguna Seca
Peter Schuster "Leda Tui" (from R4 Donnybrook) - 3 races
Mike Eyerley "Leda Tui" (R6 Portland only) - may have driven Van Beuren's car.
Scooter Patrick "Leda Tui" (from R7 Laguna Seca) - 2 races, could have taken over Schuster's car

So that's at least four FSV cars, more likely five. Presumably these are AM29s, like the F2 cars. Vercoe says Opert ordered eight AM29s for 1972 and that McCall used chassis AM29/7 for F2. I don't know where he got that information from but the number of eight AM29s seems highly plausible.

In 1973, FSV was full of Tui BH3s, run by Roos, Philips, Dave McMillan, Van Beuren, Tom Reddy, Dick Cooney, Bert Everett, Jack Rabold, Eyerley (again just a single guest drive), John Benton, Bill Collins and John Morrison with Steve Griswold (yes, him!) in a Tui AM29. Who built the BH3s? Leda again?

In 1974, the Supernova Tuis appear but the marque was eclipsed in FSV.

Allen
Old 14 May 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1300603)   #13
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just emailed Mike as this is quite a large subject for me. I've suggested finding Ian Williams and Fred Opert who were the king pins behind the Supanova side of things, 73 onwards.
I do not have any lists of chassis numbers or stuff, but remember the period vividly. For example, at the end of 73, having won the UK Silver Cup and Coming 4th in the Euro Gold series, Toby St George Matthews who was my team mate, and I ran at Riverside and Laguna Seca, the final two rounds of the US series. The stories are endless . . . I think we left both cars with Fred at the end of the year, came home to build new season's cars.

I can't remember when Rosberg tested with us, probably in 73 at Goodwood. He was driving for Kaimann of course and we beat him in Sweden - he beat us at Silverstone, Zolder and somewhere else. Fantastic racing with Kottulinsky who I later teamed up with at Daytona, he in ATS Lola, me in BH4 where we shared the front row, Brorson, Persson, Nillson, Schurti etc.
Old 14 May 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1300747)   #14
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Quote:
In 1973, FSV was full of Tui BH3s, run by Roos, Philips, Dave McMillan, Van Beuren, Tom Reddy, Dick Cooney, Bert Everett, Jack Rabold, Eyerley (again just a single guest drive), John Benton, Bill Collins and John Morrison with Steve Griswold (yes, him!) in a Tui AM29.
Sorry John, I was transcribing so quickly I failed to make the connection.

Was your BH3 rented from Opert or had you brought it from Europe?

Allen
Old 14 May 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1300824)   #15
gfm
Veteran

Yes Hi Allan, we took our own BH3 cars from Europe but left them with Opert.
Old 15 May 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1301743)   #16
Supernova
Rookie

United States
Austin Tx
I have just dug out some press releases which detail the then current standings in the 1974 VW Gold Cup Championship. I have confirmed that Hurley Haywood did in fact drive the Zeitler Racing Tui BH3. Bror Jaktlund drove the Opert Racing BH3. Peter Moody in the Import restorations Tui (no model specified). Bill Alsup in Zeitler Tui. Tom Reddy in Zeitler Tui. Michael Jordain in Opert Tui. Ed Mulford, Scott Pembroke and Ron Light also listed as Tui drivers.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1526260)   #17
mrbcf
Rookie

mrbcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BH3 Tui

I realize this is an old post but I just stumbled across it. I have a BH3, chassis number 14. My progress on its restoration has been a little slow but is moving forward. Based on the SCCA logbook, the car first ran in the US at Laguna Seca in 1973. It also ran at Riverside in 1973. In 1974, it was run as a Fred Opert car with Chris Gleason driving it for the first half or so of the season. It appears that some others ran it as a rental in the latter part of 1974. In 1974, the car was light blue with a white nose and ran number 72. I wonder if this was one of the cars brought over from the UK by John Morrison. Does anyone have an idea of how to determine if that is the case? I don't know who ran the car at the two 1973 races but would be interested in knowing.

I have full results from the first 11 Gold Cup races in 1974. These show all of the drivers, sponsors, qualifying positions and finishing positions. The car number is also listed in the results for the IMSA-sponsored races. It also gives the pole time, etc. It's too much to post here but if there are questions about specific drivers or sponsors, I'll post what I can.

Bryan Fritzler
Old 19 Feb 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1526292)   #18
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hi Bryan

Thanks for your details on your Tui BH3.

The only Tui BH3s that I know for sure at Laguna Seca were Roos, McMillan, Van Beuren, Tom Reddy, Dick Cooney, Bert Everett, John Benton and John Morrison but I only know the points scorers so there may have been others. All except Everett and Morrison had run in earlier races.

Any chance I could get a copy of those 1974 Gold Cup results? We (OldRacingCars.com) are documenting F5000 and Formula Atlantic at the moment but trying to include some information on FSV in the mid-1970s. Those results would be very useful.

Thanks

Allen
Old 19 Feb 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1526331)   #19
mrbcf
Rookie

Results

I only have the results on paper. I'll see if I can find a way to get them scanned. They're 8 1/2" x 14" and I don't have a scanner that can take that size. I'll see what I can do.

It looks like telling which model Tui is which from the results is risky. Although the Tuis were listed as Tui BH3s in the results I've seen for 1973, my car is listed as a Supernova Tui in all the results from 1974. Yet it was built in 1973, ran Gold Cup in 1973 and the number plate shows "FSV-73-BH" - which I believe makes it a BH3. I guess history requires some detective work.

Bryan
Old 20 Feb 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1527059)   #20
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hi Bryan

8 1/2" x 14" is the US 'Legal' size. It was pretty common in the 1970s.

The 8 1/2" width is standard so could you scan it in two parts and I'll stitch it back together in Photoshop?

Allen
Old 20 Feb 2006, 23:47 (Ref:1527525)   #21
mrbcf
Rookie

I reduced the sheets to 8 1/2 x 11 and then scanned them. I'm sending them to your address from your website. Let me know if they make it through.

Also, it turns out I only have 10 races. Somehow the Charlotte race is missing.

Bryan
Old 21 Feb 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1527825)   #22
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hi Bryan

Yes, I received all of those. Many thanks.

Allen
Old 23 Feb 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1529639)   #23
Howard Wood
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
Howard Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allan McCall also ran Tom Gloy in a BH2 for the first year of Formula Atlantic in New Zealand,January 1977.
The car was a front runner, winning at Wigram and probably finishing second overall in the series behind Rosberg in Fred Opert's Chevron which was much more of a big budget operation.
I dont believe the car remained in NZ after the series,possibly David McKinney
has more information on Chassis no and history.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1529690)   #24
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BH2/3 I think (from memory) - the 1976 works North American Atlantic car
It did stay in NZ after the 1977 Peter Stuyvesant series, and was driven by David Oxton in a Manfeild National, before he took it back to North America for the Canadian series
Old 23 Feb 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1529706)   #25
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fred Greenfield has two [both] the F.Atlantic Tuis in the USA series in 1978.
One is raced, but he advertises two cars at the end of the season. Presume
one of these to be BH2/3 [That suggests 3 Atlantic Tuis built] Only one appears
at any one time before 1976 season in USA.

Time to go and look at the history!