Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 5 Dec 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3868076)   #4076
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I thought it was so more American drivers from sprint car backgrounds could race in Indycar
Partly. Tony George also wanted the IRL to be less costly, using cheaper chassis and normally aspirated engines, as well as racing only on ovals.
Old 5 Dec 2018, 21:37 (Ref:3868141)   #4077
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, I’ve heard that before too
Old 6 Dec 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3868261)   #4078
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In news that will stun absolutely no one, Steinbrenner/Harding racing will use Hondas for O'Ward and Herta. Only makes sense since they are a partner team with Andretti and the grumblings over a potential Andretti team using Chevy engines got quite loud after Sonoma. But also shows why a McLaren/Andretti tie-up was going to be tough, Honda already has 14 full season engine packages and likely more than the 17-18 at Indy that was raised as their maximum comfortable number a couple times last season.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3868266)   #4079
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
In news that will stun absolutely no one, Steinbrenner/Harding racing will use Hondas for O'Ward and Herta. Only makes sense since they are a partner team with Andretti and the grumblings over a potential Andretti team using Chevy engines got quite loud after Sonoma. But also shows why a McLaren/Andretti tie-up was going to be tough, Honda already has 14 full season engine packages and likely more than the 17-18 at Indy that was raised as their maximum comfortable number a couple times last season.
HPD supplied 19 entries for this year's 500, when capacity was originally for 18 cars.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3868276)   #4080
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And I recall multiple reports from Honda they would NOT be doing that again last year and it took management stepping in and extra cash to make even 19 work. HPD was not happy with being pressured in to more than they wanted to supply.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3868604)   #4081
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
IndyCar staying with E85 through 2020.

https://racer.com/2018/12/07/indycar...-through-2020/
Old 8 Dec 2018, 23:04 (Ref:3868867)   #4082
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
IndyCar staying with E85 through 2020.

https://racer.com/2018/12/07/indycar...-through-2020/
To be honest i don't know of a single person that cares about what fuel a series uses.
Old 9 Dec 2018, 02:57 (Ref:3868882)   #4083
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
x2

jimclark
Old 9 Dec 2018, 16:30 (Ref:3868958)   #4084
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well it's partially important as an announcement as it was debated returning to the old methanol fuels to get closer to 1000hp. That seemed to be more a dream than reality but it was considered and the engine builders both said no thanks guys, that's almost a full redesign. So announcing they are sticking with EITHER closed the speculation for now.
Old 9 Dec 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3868964)   #4085
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
To be honest i don't know of a single person that cares about what fuel a series uses.
As long as they use fuel of some type. Not batteries
Old 9 Dec 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3868965)   #4086
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Fuel may not be the most exciting aspect of motorsport but it's certainly at the heart of it. No fuel, no motorsport, unless you want to go electric like FE, or use a rubber band.

The problem with methanol, as opposed to E85, is that as it is an alcohol it evaporates quickly, attacks aluminum and offers virtually no engine lubrication unlike gasoline.

Race engine blocks are made from aluminum and there is a chemical reaction that occurs between the aluminum and methanol, which causes scaling so the aluminum needs to be anodized. I would think this is why Chevy and Honda wanted to stick with E85.
Old 9 Dec 2018, 21:50 (Ref:3869027)   #4087
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is Speedway Fuels somehow related to Sunoco?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 9 Dec 2018 at 22:04. Reason: Sorry hit the wrong button.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Dec 2018, 22:06 (Ref:3869034)   #4088
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
They are a separate entity. Speedway Fuels are owned by Speedway LLC, a convenience store chain, who in turn are owned by Marathon Petroleum Corporation.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 00:56 (Ref:3869070)   #4089
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
New tender was offered for fuel mix, hence why options were brought up in discussions with engine builders and teams regarding the future. Think the ideas where about how to build horsepower without big changes. Sounds like they settled on staying the same for now which isn't a bad thing with car. Spend the time improving the car on super speedways with the aero instead
Old 10 Dec 2018, 01:42 (Ref:3869071)   #4090
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
There's a new engine spec, as from 2021, so it makes sense to keep the current engine spec as is until then.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 02:38 (Ref:3869077)   #4091
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Fuel may not be the most exciting aspect of motorsport but it's certainly at the heart of it. No fuel, no motorsport, unless you want to go electric like FE, or use a rubber band.

The problem with methanol, as opposed to E85, is that as it is an alcohol it evaporates quickly, attacks aluminum and offers virtually no engine lubrication unlike gasoline.

Race engine blocks are made from aluminum and there is a chemical reaction that occurs between the aluminum and methanol, which causes scaling so the aluminum needs to be anodized. I would think this is why Chevy and Honda wanted to stick with E85.
I wasn't trying to be an a** with my previous post. I do understand how important fuel can be to running an engine. I just thought it was a boring press release to say that the series was keeping things the same.

But now seeing all the other posts, it makes sense that the series did make an announcement about it.

And I'm already itching for some racing and we have months to go!
Old 10 Dec 2018, 03:00 (Ref:3869082)   #4092
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be an a** with my previous post. I do understand how important fuel can be to running an engine. I just thought it was a boring press release to say that the series was keeping things the same.

But now seeing all the other posts, it makes sense that the series did make an announcement about it.

That's fine.

St. Pete is on March 10, so roughly 3 more months. However, no news about the series' new sponsor.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3869174)   #4093
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:

If it wasn't a comment like that we'd think you'd been hacked good sir.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3869282)   #4094
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

As a fan, not an engine builder, with or without the other posts, I still don't give a rats behind what fuel they use....CART succeeded on methanol...I just wanna see 'em race. Everybody using the same fuel (as in no BoPing)? I'm happy to see them go, whatever it is.
'Wonderful announcement.

jimclark
Old 10 Dec 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3869294)   #4095
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
As a fan, not an engine builder, with or without the other posts, I still don't give a rats behind what fuel they use....CART succeeded on methanol...I just wanna see 'em race. Everybody using the same fuel (as in no BoPing)? I'm happy to see them go, whatever it is.
'Wonderful announcement.
It is good to see a new brand in the sport. Now had that brand also taken a title sponsorship of a race or something... could have generated some more interest
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Dec 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3869396)   #4096
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
CART did succeeded on methanol but the switch from gasoline was due to the multiple car crash, on the second lap of the 1964 Indy 500, in which Eddie Sachs and Dave MacDonald died. Their cars exploded and the subsequent fire, produced a cloud of black smoke, blocking the view of the track for oncoming cars and drivers.
Old 11 Dec 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3869411)   #4097
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
In the early 1960s, cars would do just one pitstop, therefore they would carry many more gallons that the current 18.
Old 11 Dec 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3869415)   #4098
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
In the early 1960s, cars would do just one pitstop, therefore they would carry many more gallons that the current 18.
That's incorrect. For example in the 1963 Indy 500, race winner Parnelli Jones made 3 stops, on lap 62, lap 125 and lap 160.
Old 11 Dec 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3869479)   #4099
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
CART did succeeded on methanol but the switch from gasoline was due to the multiple car crash, on the second lap of the 1964 Indy 500, in which Eddie Sachs and Dave MacDonald died. Their cars exploded and the subsequent fire, produced a cloud of black smoke, blocking the view of the track for oncoming cars and drivers.
'Not being educated, but that's neither here nor there. 'Has nothing to do with my point that most fans don't give a crap would fuel is being used; 'not why they do.
Quote:
That's incorrect. For example in the 1963 Indy 500, race winner Parnelli Jones made 3 stops, on lap 62, lap 125 and lap 160.
Not incorrect. Back when the cars carried 80 gallons ('could be mistaken on exact amount) there were one-stoppers. Fer instance, your same race example, Jimmy and Dan were doing a one-stopper.

jimclark
Old 11 Dec 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3869485)   #4100
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
'Not being educated, but that's neither here nor there. 'Has nothing to do with my point that most fans don't give a crap would fuel is being used; 'not why they do.
It was a follow on from your point about CART succeeding with methanol, so in that context it is very much here or there. If most fans don't give a crap about what fuel is used, that's fine but there are plenty of fans who do.

Quote:
Not incorrect. Back when the cars carried 80 gallons ('could be mistaken on exact amount) there were one-stoppers. Fer instance, your same race example, Jimmy and Dan were doing a one-stopper.
Not entirely correct or incorrect then, as per the Parnelli Jones example and I'm sure there are plenty more.