Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 26 Jan 2005, 08:23 (Ref:1210139)   #101
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As we already have a similar thread running, I'll do a spot of merging.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 10:01 (Ref:1211848)   #102
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bringing this topic back to a more agreeable note. The enthusiasm for the LM yearbooks shown in this thread encouraged me to order a couple of discounted issues of the Yearbook from Chaters. They arrived yesterday and I'm very impressed, an unrivalled collection of images. I might just have to start keeping an eye out for all the issues for the years' I have been to the race (1997-date). So, thanks to everyone who's posted here.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1211979)   #103
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guy,

If you are missing the last three years of the nineties you may find that you will have to pay up to twice face value. 1997 in particular can be a bit pricy, but they are all worth owning.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1211999)   #104
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there any reason that certain years' books are harder to find? Do the print runs differ in size or do 'memorable victories' cause fans of certain marques (eg. 1997 = Porsche) to purchase the book when normally they'd pass?
Old 28 Jan 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1212029)   #105
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Well, I heard that with Autocourse they signed a deal to do loads more copies for 1992-3 because of Mansell's title win and as they had to do a 2 year deal they had to carry it through to 1993-4; only Mansellmania meant the market was swamped with cash-ins so sales were not as expected. And the next year was worse, so that year's is often dirt cheap.

So they cut the order back for the next 2 years. Only Senna's death meant they underestimated demand and that is like hen's teeth...

Maybe the same with Le Mans?
Old 28 Jan 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1212123)   #106
jna
Racer

There must be various reasons for the scarcity of certain editions, and as you say print run and the victor will be linked. As far as the older issues are concerned, 1983 is probably the most difficult to source, with 85 and 86 not far behind. In an earlier post I referred to a 1985 book selling for £213 on eBay. The rest (including 1988) are reasonably common. I expect that 1988 is readily available because the print run was much higher in the light of Jaguar's victory. You will find people bidding over £100 for 1991 and 1993. The mid nineties - well that could be linked to McLaren's involvement, and they can go for up to £70, but as you have already discoverd from 2000 onwards there are some good bargains to be had. I noticed someone selling 2003 editions at £9.99 soon after the 2004 book came on the market. I do hope that interest is not waning because it would be extremely sad if these books ceased to be published.

Last edited by jna; 28 Jan 2005 at 17:19.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1212198)   #107
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unfortunately it is time for me to disturb this interesting discussion.

As everybody who has contributed to this thread (and the other on much the same topic) is aware, an issue arose with regard to claims by member Simon C as to his ownership of English editions of a number of yearbooks, where all of the expert evidence (sourced both before and after Simon's posts on the subject) strongly suggested that these editions did not exist.

During the course of that discussion I chose to protect Simon in the thread against what seemed to me to be getting close to claims that he was, for some reason, not telling the members the truth. Whilst there is a clear school of thought which supported my taking that line, I know only too well that there was an equally strong view expressed by several members that I should have pressed Simon for the evidence which many of you wanted to see, naturally enough.

So I did so. I PM'd Simon several weeks ago, and he made it clear to me in his reply that he did not intend to to post any evidence on the forum. He was concerned at the manner in which what he said was being, as he saw it, sarcastically questioned. I make no comment about that.

In order to try and lay this matter to rest, I emailed Simon again on Tuesday evening. So that there is absolutely no doubt about it, this is what I said:-

Simon,

I'm sorry that I have to contact you again about this subject. I tried to PM you today on the forum but I discovered that you are no longer accepting PMs.

Forgive me for being blunt and coming straight to the point. There is now a major issue on (and outside) the forum about the Le Mans yearbooks for which you have indicated you have English editions. Several members (including members of the Tenths staff) have made detailed enquiries of (so it seems) every known authority, including one of the authors, and all of those enquiries appear to confirm definitively that English editions were never issued for the years which were mentioned in the original thread and for which you said you had English copies.

The situation has reached the stage where I have had to deal with lengthy email correspondence from members about this in which I have been soundly criticised for appearing to support your cause, and for not supporting the calls for you to produce evidence of your books.

The fact is that after three years + and 13,000+ posts on Tenths, I'm thick-skinned enough to take criticism on the chin, but I also have to accept that the claims you made about the books fly totally in the face of all other available evidence. I remember why you explained your disinclination to provide any further information, but there is no doubt at all that your position of silence on this issue is damaging your reputation on the forum and, I fear, is damaging the "AE" forum itself - certainly my capability to moderate it fairly is being called into question (albeit privately at present).

But this is most definitely not a request I make for my own personal reasons, but to set the record straight. If you are mistaken as to these books, it is an opportunity now to indicate that after checking your copies. On the other hand, if you can show, by ISBNs, scans, or other evidence that your integrity is being wrongly maligned here, what better way of doing so with maximum effect than via the forum?

I therefore make a personal plea to you to produce the evidence of the books you have, either directly on the forum or to me as an intermediary.

Frankly Simon, I have no wish to accuse anyone of anything, whether that be yourself or anyone else on the forum, but I am rapidly tiring of this issue and I want it sorted out one way or the other.

Can I please have your response by Friday so that I can indicate the outcome on the thread in "AE".

Thank you.

Ayse

Following this, I sent Simon an email via Ten Tenths on Wednesday and another this morning. I am sorry to report that I have received no reply.

This is therefore the point at which I make no further comment. As I indicated to Simon, you must now all draw whatever conclusions you feel inclined to draw.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 28 Jan 2005 at 19:52.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1352099)   #108
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Books

I sure this is going to get moved, but......

However I have several Le Mans yearbooks available for sale. Not for profit, just to clear the space. Trouble is I cannot recall how much I paid for each one. So let me know year and price. It is an offer for 10/10 only as I know many LM fans here.

So if you want a bargain let me know, if not I wll probably sell on eBay for double !!

S
Old 11 Jul 2005, 00:45 (Ref:1352159)   #109
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have you got a list or something? And can we buy say one, or do you want to sell them as a bundle? Cheers
Old 11 Jul 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1352529)   #110
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sure, a list would help a lot!
Old 11 Jul 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1352695)   #111
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I'd be interested too, Simon, let me know what you have old boy
Old 11 Jul 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1352705)   #112
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Tom V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm interested too
Old 11 Jul 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1352725)   #113
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Me
Old 11 Jul 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1352741)   #114
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
There are a lot of peeps here who would be interested, so I'm not about to move the thread. If you have an 86 (I don't know if there was one), I'd be interested. And while we're on the subject of Le Mans books etc., if anyone has a 1970 programme, I'd be interested in that too......
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1352767)   #115
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
80, 81, 83, 86, 91, 93, 94, 97 missing from my collection... I'm a new comer to collecting the books obviously
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1352780)   #116
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
80, 81, 83, 86, 91, 93, 94, 97 missing from my collection... I'm a new comer to collecting the books obviously

93 just went for £220 on ebay.

94 (french only) went for £200 last yr on ebay.

Good luck mate
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1352798)   #117
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon,

If prefer you can store them in my loft? (for free)
Old 11 Jul 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1352849)   #118
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have
1979 (French Version)

Simon
Old 11 Jul 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1352910)   #119
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Strewth! £200 plus for the 93 and 94 sounds like crazy money. To be honest, the really rare ones seem to be 83 and 85 and I've not seen them fetching even those sorts of prices.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1352943)   #120
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
There are always some available on Ebay. Even I couldn't resist a new 2003 copy on Ebay which no one else bid for and I got for 99p......
Old 12 Jul 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1353306)   #121
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
Strewth! £200 plus for the 93 and 94 sounds like crazy money. To be honest, the really rare ones seem to be 83 and 85 and I've not seen them fetching even those sorts of prices.
I think 1983, 1985 and 1986 are the rarest (French only). Aorund about £100-£150 for an 1983 I saw on ebay recently. One sold for £255 last year (actually it didn't as the buyer was fraudulant and the seller out of pocket.... yes me unfortunately). Any Le Mans annual is great though, pictures are usually superb. 2000 onwards are quite often found discounted.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1353336)   #122
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL
I have
1979 (French Version)
Simon,

I've PMed you with an offer on a couple of your books.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1353715)   #123
jna
Racer

Watch the bidding on this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...318071842&rd=1
Old 12 Jul 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1353974)   #124
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good spot. What are you guessing on this? (We ought to have a poll..... )
Old 12 Jul 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1354054)   #125
jna
Racer

£140