Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Oct 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2970741)   #1926
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does T-O-C have a realistic chance of standing on the podium and taking away points from the regular championship contenders?

Airwaves are probably also looking at the independent title. Does Ollie Jackson stand a realistic chance of finishing ahead of Mat Jackson? Is it now going to be more difficult for Thompson to finish ahead of Nash?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 06:23 (Ref:2970847)   #1927
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is nothing stopping Thompson running without the ballest in the races, he simply would be excluded for being underweight and as points are not important to him he could at least be right at the front to help Jackson. (not suggesting this is done of course)
Old 14 Oct 2011, 07:28 (Ref:2970874)   #1928
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Does T-O-C have a realistic chance of standing on the podium and taking away points from the regular championship contenders?
T-O-C carried late entry ballast for the first meeting when switched to the AON Focus.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2970875)   #1929
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
There is nothing stopping Thompson running without the ballest in the races, he simply would be excluded for being underweight and as points are not important to him he could at least be right at the front to help Jackson. (not suggesting this is done of course)
Points are important. Thompson will help Jackson by finishing ahead of his rivals and taking points off them. Unless you are suggesting that Thompson is there to harpoon off Jackson's rivals?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2970953)   #1930
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Points are important. Thompson will help Jackson by finishing ahead of his rivals and taking points off them. Unless you are suggesting that Thompson is there to harpoon off Jackson's rivals?
Exactly... Thompson needs to have a legitimate points finish in order for his presence in the team to be of any value at all. If he crosses the line in third place, ahead of the Hondas and Chevrolets, but is subsequently disqualified, the others will be promoted and his participation will have been futile [from Motorbase's perspective].
Old 14 Oct 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2971098)   #1931
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
T-O-C carried late entry ballast for the first meeting when switched to the AON Focus.
So one team capable of regular podiums fields a 3rd car, and it has ballast for one meeting as per the sporting regs.
Another team capable of scoring highly in the independents substitutes their driver(s), and they don't have to carry ballast. As per the sporting regs.

Yet motorbase field a 3rd car, that is forced to carry ballast for more than one meeting because they substitute their driver.

I know people have said it's at Alan Gow's discretion, but it goes against the sporting regs and appears like favouritism. Why bother with the regs at all, if they are not going to be applied fairly across the board? At least the 'parity' measures have regulatory backing!
Old 14 Oct 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2971217)   #1932
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I know people have said it's at Alan Gow's discretion, but it goes against the sporting regs and appears like favouritism. Why bother with the regs at all, if they are not going to be applied fairly across the board?
At this point let me refer you to Alan Gow's response to just such a point on his own forum

http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread...-entry-ballast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gow
The amount of additional ballast is, quite correctly, applied according to the driver/circumstances.

It would appear you don't seem to appreciate that there is a huge difference between an inexperienced rookie getting in a car during the course of the season, compared to a driver of the very high calibre of James Thompson specifically being brought in by a team for the final round purely in order to help the team secure a championship win (e.g. Indepedents Team and Independents Driver Championships).

In those circumstances, we have always applied full ballast.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2971230)   #1933
Icebaby
Veteran

I still don't see Alan Gows argument, how do you define an inexperienced rookie?,
Old 14 Oct 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2971259)   #1934
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team dynamics twitter:

"Wooah. Just arrived at the garage to find this. There will be some fireworks this weekend ... http://yfrog.com/j2k15iwj "

Hang on - what would a chevrolet WTCC driver be doing in a works Honda racing against his paymasters?

Last edited by kezza7; 14 Oct 2011 at 18:39.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2971266)   #1935
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
how do you define an inexperienced rookie?,
I would have thought that was pretty easy to define - a driver new to the series who doesn't have years of motorsports experience behind him. Pretty much a spot on description of Aron Smith and Ollie Jackson.

That said we don't NEED to define it, it means whatever Alan Gow says it means!

I don't understand why people are getting so worked up about this. The regulations allow for up to 45kg of late entry ballast at Gow's discretion, and that has been in effect for many years. They aren't doing anything here that isn't already in the regulations and they aren't doing anything that hasn't been done many times in previous seasons.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2971270)   #1936
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza7 View Post
Team dynamics twitter:

"Wooah. Just arrived at the garage to find this. There will be some fireworks this weekend ... http://yfrog.com/j2k15iwj "

Hang on - what would a chevrolet WTCC driver be doing in a works Honda racing against his paymasters?
It's either a joke or it's another Muller... Jorg ?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2971273)   #1937
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza7 View Post
Team dynamics twitter:

Isn't Thompson doing pretty much the same?

I must admit, I don't know the full RML/silverline/chevy/BTCC/WTCC to know how obliged Muller would be to support the BTCC chevy team.

Awesome coup for Honda though, and could definitely produce big fireworks.

It does seem to be a regular theme now that plenty of drivers are willing to assist Plato's rvals? He doesn't seem to have drivers queuing up to help his cause though?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2971278)   #1938
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow its scary how gullible some people are.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2971279)   #1939
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
I would have thought that was pretty easy to define - a driver new to the series who doesn't have years of motorsports experience behind him. Pretty much a spot on description of Aron Smith and Ollie Jackson.

That said we don't NEED to define it, it means whatever Alan Gow says it means!

I don't understand why people are getting so worked up about this. The regulations allow for up to 45kg of late entry ballast at Gow's discretion, and that has been in effect for many years. They aren't doing anything here that isn't already in the regulations and they aren't doing anything that hasn't been done many times in previous seasons.

If Herbert and Reid carried the 45kg ballest when they were brought in then fair enough but its still a stupid rule.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2971280)   #1940
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I imagine just a wind-up on Team Dynamics part. Quite funny though.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2971289)   #1941
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Wow its scary how gullible some people are.
Exactly. It's fairly obvious that middle car is the 3-door Type R roadcar they've used for the past 5 seasons as a PR-mobile.

Nice joke though.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2971297)   #1942
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
If Herbert and Reid carried the 45kg ballest when they were brought in then fair enough but its still a stupid rule.
They did, as did Alain Menu and Tom Coronel in 2007. I seem to recall Thompson also had ballast when he was in the third SEAT in 2006.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 23:52 (Ref:2971385)   #1943
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, history has shown that 3rd cars brought in to bolster the squad for the final weekend haven't exactly fared well because of ballast/lack of practice/familiarity with the car.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=6866
Old 15 Oct 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2971500)   #1944
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, you do get the impression that TOCA try and discourage the practice by using 'late entry ballast' to make it more difficult for an extra car to have any meaningful effect on the outcome, without going as far as actually banning it....

Think one of the most extreme cases of it I can think of was back in the Supertouring days- IIRC it was the Italian series in the late 90's, when with the title battle coming down to Audi v BMW, both drafted in their German STW Cup teams to support the regular Italian entries at the last round- IIRC it ended up with each manufacturer fielding about half-a-dozen cars!
Old 15 Oct 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2971583)   #1945
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A solution would be to not allow an entry from any driver who hadn't raced at the penultimate round. That might solve a few problems..... (although unfortunate for the likes of Thorney, obviously).