Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Jun 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2902041)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA World Touring Car Championship 2012

Thought it would make sense to toss this up now.

As far as I'm aware there has been rumours of three to four new manufacturers for next year and there was an article on Autosport a few months back that Tarquini has been in talks with manufacturers for the 2012 season. My guesses are currently Subaru, Ford and Honda. Subaru has been toying with an entry for a few years and why would AON build a new S2000 car for the BTCC when the regs are going out in two years time? Honda, I'm not sure if the Equipo Petrobras team are still working on the car anymore, but I hope it might come out of the blue.

Also I hope SEAT and Lada returns (Doubt it though) and Volvo expands to a three car team (I'd love to see Thomo back).

And the race in the USA could work wonders for the championship provided they play their cards very carefully.

Any news or thoughts on the 2012 season?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2902080)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Would love to see Alfa Romeo back, but thats unlikely. Touring car racing for me is BMW VS Alfa, fantastic marques.

My personal "wants" from 2012 would be a move to 18-19" wheels, and moving to a higher boost pressure, to deliver something like 350-380BHP.

None of which is likely to happen of course.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2902110)   #3
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's always rumours certain manufacturers will join. I doubt it. The WTCC is not in a good place right now.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 23:48 (Ref:2902147)   #4
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arena Motorsport to tackle the WTCC in 2012? That would seem quite logical. Develop the car a bit in the BTCC this year, then take the two Tom's into WTCC next year.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 00:43 (Ref:2902161)   #5
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A bit early for this! We need to know what Volvo & SEATs plans are first to ascertain as to whether there will actually be a series? I really can't see Chevy continuing as a factory team as it stands (without any proper competition coming in).
Old 20 Jun 2011, 13:33 (Ref:2902386)   #6
Robbe
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Robbe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Italiaracing reported that Ford/Arena should be in, and Volvo is evaluating their participation.
Chevy probably wins everything there is to win this year. Not sure if there is any official position about 2012, but they have developed a brand new engine this year and the best base to add another championship next year. Beating Ford and Volvo would also be quite good maketing-wise. Let's hope they stay.
Seat would surprise me. The new engine of Sunred's cars is built by Lehmann, the cars are even homologated as SR Leon's so there is currently no support. If Seat would re-enter next year with an own engine, Sunred would have spent a lot of money for nothing.
It's been quiet about Subaru and the other japanese manufacturers.

Lotti says he has confirmation of almost all teams to stay on for 2012, Engstler even has Liqui Moly sponsorship secured, so I'm sure it will go on.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2902434)   #7
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Also I hope ... Lada returns (Doubt it though)
It is absolutely impossibleLada enetered WTCC with governmental support and now all governmental money are spent for project 'Petrov' and 'Sochi GP'.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2902485)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbe View Post
Engstler even has Liqui Moly sponsorship secured, so I'm sure it will go on.
I don't understand Liqui Moly. They have a lot of logos on the cars. Why do they not put a pro driver in one of the cars?
Old 20 Jun 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2902520)   #9
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
Arena Motorsport to tackle the WTCC in 2012? That would seem quite logical. Develop the car a bit in the BTCC this year, then take the two Tom's into WTCC next year.
Can't see it myself. As Matt Neal pointed out recently, British tracks are very different from the ones WTCC race at. Completely different demands on a car. Would mean this year would be a complete waste of a year, and I think that both Chilton and Onslow-Cole want to stay in BTCC anyway.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2902616)   #10
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure it would be a complete waste really, as good as a year testing at least. And the british circuits are all fairly different so should be enough of a test for the car. After all, the Cruze and Leon were both developed for the WTCC and did pretty well over here.

As for the drivers, Chilton nearly went DTMing before MG Rover decided against it/went bust. And Onslow-Cole expressed interest in the V8 Supercars over the winter.

It would leave a bit of a gap in the line-up for the BTCC though.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 05:11 (Ref:2902683)   #11
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbe View Post
Chevy probably wins everything there is to win this year. Not sure if there is any official position about 2012, but they have developed a brand new engine this year.
It's not a Chevy engine. They just didn't have a 1,6 DI Turbo at the time construction began. Cruze engine is an absolute prototype called P203, designed by RML engineers IIRC. And I can't understand why it's called "real cars, real racing" with prototypes all the way.

Leave it with true touringcars and all that Seat buses and Daewoos will have no chance against stock BMW 320.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2902779)   #12
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
I believe it would make sense for Arena to be in the WTCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I don't understand Liqui Moly. They have a lot of logos on the cars. Why do they not put a pro driver in one of the cars?
Kristian Poulsen is pretty good there.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2902826)   #13
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
I believe it would make sense for Arena to be in the WTCC.
Well, if they're not winning in the BTCC at the moment, what hope have they got in the WTCC, a series that is (arguably) more competitive?
Old 21 Jun 2011, 12:30 (Ref:2902846)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Well, if they're not winning in the BTCC at the moment, what hope have they got in the WTCC, a series that is (arguably) more competitive?
I think there is a better class of driver (overall) in the WTCC, that doesn't mean to say that the BTCC is full of bad drivers, far from it. However, names like Muller, Menu, Huff, Farfus, Priaulx, Tarquini, Monterio, Coronel are all world class drivers. OK, Farfus and Priaulx arent there this year, but its still a strong field.

I'm not all that keen on the turbo engines in both the BTCC and WTCC. I think they lack drama, and I miss the growling/buzzing sounds from the naturally aspirated engines. A massive shame to lose the Volvo 5-cylinder too.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2902863)   #15
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
I may be reading between the lines a little too much here, but take a look at comments such as this one from Shaun Hollamby: "I fully understand why he’s gone to the Ford team because they’re offering him something that we can’t which is the potential to do World Touring Cars" and this one on the Arena website: "In addition to their BTCC campaign, it was announced earlier this year that Arena Motorsport would be responsible for building all Global Ford Focus Touring Cars."

To me it hints, very slightly, that they might look to do it in the future. I'll leave it at that, though, as it's still pretty unsubstantiated mind-wandering on my part too
Old 21 Jun 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2903195)   #16
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
They could get a real top-liner into develop the car, that's what.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2903207)   #17
pinkd56
Racer

England
Luton
pinkd56 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Focus is still in the development stage though, although it is performing a lot better than the first Focus did when it started racing.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2904696)   #18
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think many new carmakers look wtcc now if wtcc makes more races in china. china is makin diference in the world. here they need race more and more china drivers.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2904706)   #19
michael_a_l
Rookie

michael_a_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I may be reading between the lines a little too much here, but take a look at comments such as this one from Shaun Hollamby: "I fully understand why he’s gone to the Ford team because they’re offering him something that we can’t which is the potential to do World Touring Cars" and this one on the Arena website: "In addition to their BTCC campaign, it was announced earlier this year that Arena Motorsport would be responsible for building all Global Ford Focus Touring Cars."

To me it hints, very slightly, that they might look to do it in the future. I'll leave it at that, though, as it's still pretty unsubstantiated mind-wandering on my part too

This would be awesome!!!
Old 23 Jun 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2904788)   #20
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's official - Ford and Arena evaluating a WTCC entry with the Focus.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2904867)   #21
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While nothing is confirmed, this is sounds great.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2907288)   #22
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have heard too that for sure volvo increase the number of his cars.
and ford will enter officcially through team arena.
it would be beauty if also Seat should decide to come back officially.
about other rumors im still waiting to know what subaru will decide to do for the next year.

about the new rules i would increade the number of km for each race. its not possible to see world touring car race just 30 minutes for each race. my idea would be or to make 2 races of 75 km, or to make 1 race sprint of 50 km and 1 race endurance of 100 km with change of tyres obbligatory!
Old 5 Jul 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2918291)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Adding pitstops would make entries more expensive and add little. Just make harder tyres. Argentine TC2000 can do 150km with one set of tyres.

I agree that races should be longer, or more precisely the final race. There should be one winner each weekend, even if there are multiple races.
Old 5 Jul 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2922247)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Increase race length by around 10 minutes but please no pitstops.
Old 5 Jul 2011, 11:00 (Ref:2922248)   #25
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
As far as I can recall, I've only ever seen S2000 cars do relatively short races. Does anyone know what the fuel tank capacity is, or why there have never been any longer races?

And, if anyone knows, what is the longest-ever S2000 race? Could it be the second 2010 Guia race, at 54 minutes in duration?