Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Jan 2007, 00:42 (Ref:1818063)   #51
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any sign of an enrty list as yet, the first race is only 2 weeks away and I would have thought they would have locked in the drivers bye now

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 18 Jan 2007, 03:49 (Ref:1818122)   #52
noaxetogrind
Racer

Australia
Sydney
noaxetogrind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
That point has been clarified, and they will be gone in 2008.
Minor point of clarification; I believe the series is currently intending to run to full FIA GT3 regs from 2009, so 2008 will be the last year of the bitsas. Not sure what implications the homologation issues currently being experienced in FIA GT3 series are going to have on all this though.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 06:49 (Ref:1818152)   #53
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
treating the public with contempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlooker
Any sign of an enrty list as yet, the first race is only 2 weeks away and I would have thought they would have locked in the drivers bye now
not much doubt about your interest Onlook-R, i'm interested ..... ground control to Messrs Little & Wagg, anyone, hello are you out there ....
Old 18 Jan 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1818168)   #54
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by noaxetogrind
Minor point of clarification; I believe the series is currently intending to run to full FIA GT3 regs from 2009, so 2008 will be the last year of the bitsas. Not sure what implications the homologation issues currently being experienced in FIA GT3 series are going to have on all this though.
Thanks for the clarifications, mate.

In all fairness, my point is saying that you have some guys going to buy the real deal, then others spending less (alot less in some cases) to have a car rock up, that MAY win on the day.

i see why we allow them in, and that it's critical in the birthing of the formula in this nation (See - allowance of BMW's in the first year of GP3A/V8's), but when push comes to shove, we need to look after those who are seriously buying GT3 cars....
Old 18 Jan 2007, 07:37 (Ref:1818169)   #55
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
In all fairness, my point is saying that you have some guys going to buy the real deal, then others spending less (alot less in some cases) to have a car rock up, that MAY win on the day.
Yes but those people are going to have to buy a GT3 spec car eventually, so why not buy one now instead of getting a car now and then a new in 2 years. Also running a GT3 car means you cut out the issue of the overhanging worry about rev cuts, extra weight and so on, eg. the Huglin car in 06.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 07:50 (Ref:1818173)   #56
noaxetogrind
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Quote:

i see why we allow them in, and that it's critical in the birthing of the formula in this nation (See - allowance of BMW's in the first year of GP3A/V8's), but when push comes to shove, we need to look after those who are seriously buying GT3 cars....
Totally agree and I think the rules at present are a good compromise that look after the guys spending the big dollars (as they are the ones who will have a long term series to compete in and hence their cars will have some chance of retaining their value) whilst still allowing the guys spending less money to run in the transitional period and hopefully help get grid numbers up. Can't imagine the one's spending less money are going to have much chance against the factory cars in any event but you never know. Certainly that car Scott Bargwanna drove at Eastern Creek in late November was pretty quick in the right hands...

Hopefully all this theory will be borne out in practice and the series will see some growth in grid numbers this year. Still no sign of entry list?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 08:19 (Ref:1818187)   #57
noaxetogrind
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Yes but those people are going to have to buy a GT3 spec car eventually, so why not buy one now instead of getting a car now and then a new in 2 years. Also running a GT3 car means you cut out the issue of the overhanging worry about rev cuts, extra weight and so on, eg. the Huglin car in 06.
I imagine its a question of cost. Somewhere near the end of the 2006 GT thread someone had posted the prices of the GT3 spec cars and they were more than double the cost of the second hand 996 cup cars for sale on my105. For me, that remains the big question about how successful the transition to full FIA GT3 spec is going to be. To more than double the capital cost will almost certainly rule a bunch of current competitors out, no matter how much they like being in the series. Unless of course there are second hand cars coming out of Europe at big discounts...

As for buying a GT3 car to deal with the issue of rev cuts, extra weight and so on, I don't think it makes any difference. I think the series has benchmark times for each circuit and it doesn't matter who beats the benchmark or what type of car they are in, the category will add weight, adjust ride height, restrict revs etc to try and bring that car/driver back to the benchmark. I saw lots of complaint about this approach in last year's thread but at the end of the day, that system produced a series where the winner wasn't decided till the last round, there were plenty of different drivers won individual races, and the guy most people would think was the best driver (Crick) won the championship. In practice, there weren't any cars capable of beating the benchmark anyway with the exception of Huglin's car with Simonsen at the wheel. I could never understand why these guys would rather go and race at state level and beat the field by miles (literally) when they could have competed at GT and enjoyed much closer racing and quite probably still have won the series (I think Simonsen won all of the GT rounds he competed at in Huglin's car?)
Old 18 Jan 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1818190)   #58
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off the topic but on the topic. Whose Viper was this originally???

http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=6732
Old 18 Jan 2007, 08:36 (Ref:1818199)   #59
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
For me, that remains the big question about how successful the transition to full FIA GT3 spec is going to be. To more than double the capital cost will almost certainly rule a bunch of current competitors out, no matter how much they like being in the series. Unless of course there are second hand cars coming out of Europe at big discounts...
That is why such a long transition period was given. To slowly phase the cars out and phasing into the competitors minds that they eventually would have to get GT3 spec cars.

Buying a GT3 car now is cheaper than purchasing another car now, racing it for 2 years and then needing to buy a GT3 car for 09. Probably easier for me to say cheaper long term

No doubt that some will be forced out but the advantages of GT3 outweigh the negative.

Quote:
As for buying a GT3 car to deal with the issue of rev cuts, extra weight and so on, I don't think it makes any difference. I think the series has benchmark times for each circuit and it doesn't matter who beats the benchmark or what type of car they are in, the category will add weight, adjust ride height, restrict revs etc to try and bring that car/driver back to the benchmark.
Are there benchmark times or is it the Porsche 996 GT3 that is a benchmark car for the series in its current format ?

Its much easier and smaller adjustment to a GT3 car as opposed to trying to slow down a GT2 car to the speed of a Porsche GT3
Old 18 Jan 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1818205)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort
Off the topic but on the topic. Whose Viper was this originally???

http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=6732
I suspect it is the Ray Lintott car that Mr Bates drove wildly at Bathurst till it ran out of brakes
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Jan 2007, 08:44 (Ref:1818207)   #61
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Senna05]Thanks for the clarifications, mate.

l QUOTE]

There you go - how perceptive. Fancy calling noaxetogrijnd -- mate-- that would be Terry-- mate noaxe etc. DRT will be pleased the two of you can push the wagon as hard as you can go. The only problem is you are still pushing the propaganda line--- why don't you simply post the entry list as has been repeatedly asked. How long ago did entries close? Why won't you publish them?
Given the you are the C---s love child are you able to ignore the rules that seem to apply to everybody else and keep accepting entries beyond closing ? how do you manage that? Above all else-- what is wrong with publishing what you have-- you haven't been to shy about making them up in the past!
Old 18 Jan 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1818212)   #62
noaxetogrind
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Are there benchmark times or is it the Porsche 996 GT3 that is a benchmark car for the series in its current format ?
I understand there are benchmark times which are based on what a 996 GT3 cup car is capable of (1:34 at Eastern Creek I think). I don't know what happens if you beat the benchmark in a 996 cup car (they lower the benchmark or parity adjust you) but if you place in the top 3, you will get some weight added as success ballast. As I said above, the only car to beat the benchmark times in a meaningful way was the Huglin Ferrari. As a matter of interest, is that a GT3 car or a GT2 car? If its a GT2, how come it was allowed to run (parity adjusted or otherwise) but GT2 porsches weren't?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1818217)   #63
noaxetogrind
Racer

Australia
Sydney
[quote=Silver 3]
Quote:

l QUOTE]

There you go - how perceptive. Fancy calling noaxetogrijnd -- mate-- that would be Terry-- mate noaxe etc. DRT will be pleased the two of you can push the wagon as hard as you can go. The only problem is you are still pushing the propaganda line--- why don't you simply post the entry list as has been repeatedly asked. How long ago did entries close? Why won't you publish them?
Given the you are the C---s love child are you able to ignore the rules that seem to apply to everybody else and keep accepting entries beyond closing ? how do you manage that? Above all else-- what is wrong with publishing what you have-- you haven't been to shy about making them up in the past!
Am I meant to be Terry or is senna05 Terry or is DRT Terry? Who is Terry anyway? If I had an entry list I would publish it as I am interested to see if the rumoured new cars for 2007 are going to be here. If Terry has the entry list, can he publish it?

And Silver3, to borrow a line from Beverly Hills Cop when Eddie pretends to be a drunk to disarm the crook in the strip joint... "man, where is all this hostility coming from? You've changed..."
Old 18 Jan 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1818239)   #64
XW GT
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
XW GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question - Why did the GT/Porsche category opt out of being a core category/share holder of the CNRC when they are going to be part of the CNRC (four rounds) in 2007? Mr Little and Wagg must have bigger fish to fry!
Old 18 Jan 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1818279)   #65
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:

And Silver3, to borrow a line from Beverly Hills Cop when Eddie pretends to be a drunk to disarm the crook in the strip joint... "man, where is all this hostility coming from? You've changed..."
I wouldnt worry to much about it. Silver is just adding new characters to the story inside his head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW GT
Question - Why did the GT/Porsche category opt out of being a core category/share holder of the CNRC when they are going to be part of the CNRC (four rounds) in 2007? Mr Little and Wagg must have bigger fish to fry!
Did they opt out or did CAMS opt them out ? Was it considered hard to be a core category when you run half your championship outside the Nationals ?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 11:19 (Ref:1818349)   #66
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fair bit of miss-info on here re: the lotus's

the so called 'basterdised' Honda powered one as you put it is far from a one-off.

one was first raced in Brit GT back in 2003, subsequently, there are now well over 200 road cars with this engine install, and several race cars in several countries.

Yes, there is a Lotus GT-3 car in AU now (and I am sure the owner will pipe up when he is ready) it's chassis number 1 as raced here in Brit GT last year, however, as it stands, it's NOT a homologated GT-3 car (Lotus have yet to do the paperwork etc). so far, there are only 3 of these cars from Lotus.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1818357)   #67
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As I said above, the only car to beat the benchmark times in a meaningful way was the Huglin Ferrari. As a matter of interest, is that a GT3 car or a GT2 car? If its a GT2, how come it was allowed to run (parity adjusted or otherwise) but GT2 porsches weren't?
The Huglin Ferrari 360GT is a GT2 car.

GT2 Porsche's are allowed in. The car David Wall raced in 2006 is a GT2 car.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 11:44 (Ref:1818367)   #68
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
[QUOTE=Silver 3]
Quote:

l QUOTE]

Ummm... Sliver3, previous outbursts to each outher aside, I merely thanked him for the clarification. If you have an issue with that, PM me. I'm over thoe whole public ****ing contests.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1818369)   #69
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Actually, Mods, May I make a suggestion? Is it possible to make a PRO GT3 thread for those of us who want to comment on the RACING, and then an ANTI GT3 thread for people who wish to bash the administration?
Old 19 Jan 2007, 00:27 (Ref:1818960)   #70
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You've totally missed my point, matey. Totaly...
It read completely differently to me, hence my observation that abusing illicit drugs before mid day may be affecting your judgement!

It all makes sense now.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 00:31 (Ref:1818963)   #71
noaxetogrind
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
The Huglin Ferrari 360GT is a GT2 car.

GT2 Porsche's are allowed in. The car David Wall raced in 2006 is a GT2 car.
Thanks. If I recall correctly, wasn't part of the "anti GT category mgt" point of view of Silver3 the fact that someone's Porsche GT2 had been excluded from racing last year? If that is true (that a GT2 had been excluded) I can understand why people would be upset about the category management when other GT2 cars are allowed to run. If my recollection is poor, then what is the reason that Silver3 is upset with the category?
Old 19 Jan 2007, 00:33 (Ref:1818964)   #72
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Actually, Mods, May I make a suggestion? Is it possible to make a PRO GT3 thread for those of us who want to comment on the RACING, and then an ANTI GT3 thread for people who wish to bash the administration?
[mod hat on] While that would be an interesting option, the real problem would be that the discussion would more than likely degenerate into some of the personal insults that have sometimes appeared in the regular discussion... having a dedicated "hate" thread would encourage this.. so it isnt going to happen... Sorry [/mod hat off]
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Jan 2007, 02:18 (Ref:1819011)   #73
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If my recollection is poor, then what is the reason that Silver3 is upset with the category?

I dunno. I think he's just anti-anti.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 02:19 (Ref:1819012)   #74
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks. If I recall correctly, wasn't part of the "anti GT category mgt" point of view of Silver3 the fact that someone's Porsche GT2 had been excluded from racing last year? If that is true (that a GT2 had been excluded) I can understand why people would be upset about the category management when other GT2 cars are allowed to run. If my recollection is poor, then what is the reason that Silver3 is upset with the category?

So a point of view that does not fit your view of the world should not be heard.What a joke. Those associated with the GT series have persistently published"wish list" entries as a fact.Much discussion ensues about competitors that were never going to be there . What purpose does that serve-- the answer is that it masks the inadequecies of the concept,and is constantly used by the apologists for the GT series to justify the chosen path.
What is so hard about publishing an entry list? Entries closed long ago, so why attack me for pointing it out.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 05:25 (Ref:1819050)   #75
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a month to the fist round of the The Australian Sports/GT Intermarque Championship. How long 'til we see there entry list.

They have, what? 60-70 cars by now wouldn't they, Silver?