Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jan 2021, 14:00 (Ref:4030253)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The JR Inspired Pre War Racing Car Discussion

We have a new toy this year
Lea Francais Hyper

One of the 1928 TT cars.
It’s going to be interesting as can’t think of anyone who’s raced one properly since Tom Delaney
Old 20 Jan 2021, 14:18 (Ref:4030256)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just googled that. Otherwise known as S Type with a supercharged Meadows engine. Driven by Kaye Don in the 1928 Ulster TT. Looks good. Is the Meadows engine the same as used in the Frazer Nash?
Old 20 Jan 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4030263)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
More or less the same!
Old 20 Jan 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4030268)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As you know I quite like the smaller cars from that era. Hope it goes as well as it looks.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 08:32 (Ref:4030572)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
We have a new toy this year
Lea Francais Hyper

One of the 1928 TT cars.
It’s going to be interesting as can’t think of anyone who’s raced one properly since Tom Delaney
I guess the blown 1500 shares the same 1496 bottom end as the 'underhead cam' TC from the later engine, like the one I restored for the Arnott-LaeF.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 11:52 (Ref:4030607)   #6
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Assuming its Lea Francis, I found this:
https://patrimoineautomobile.com/lea-francis-1928/ Probably inaccurate, but nice recent pics.

Meadows engine for others too, like HRG:
http://www.antiqbrocdelatour.com/Les...38-id3647.html
Old 22 Jan 2021, 15:12 (Ref:4030688)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It made sporty and exclusive cars for wealthy “gentlemen drivers” who thought it was too “common” to drive Rolls or Bentleys…

I thought it was 'undesirable to waft like a barge or drive like a lorry' It was part of my induction with JR/Pace
Old 22 Jan 2021, 15:19 (Ref:4030691)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
At that time there were a number of companies, all building small cars, F Nash, MG, LeaF etc. They formed the backbone of UK motorsport. For the time and limited technology I've always thought them quite special.

Methinks we should move these posts to a separate thread so we can discuss them more fully.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 15:26 (Ref:4031135)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
And here is the thread.

Coincidentally, just saw a tweet about the Bugatti "Lorry" remark, it then showed a pic of the Royale which really was big!
Old 25 Jan 2021, 19:00 (Ref:4031163)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You have to spot a real one to know how big this machine is! Between impressive and useless I'd say. Bugatti engines found many different applications, like trains or boats, lorries as you mention, for what I remember now.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 19:18 (Ref:4031166)   #11
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Bugatti engines found many different applications, like trains or boats, lorries as you mention, for what I remember now.
Don't forget the lovely Bugatti Aeroplane.
Old 25 Jan 2021, 19:21 (Ref:4031168)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Right, I forgot it! Thanks RB. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti-De_Monge_100P

Thanks to Peter, I've just learned that only the Royale had a "mascotte" ornement on the bonnet… or hood!
https://www.bugatti.com/fr/media/new...oyale-type-41/
Old 26 Jan 2021, 09:42 (Ref:4031250)   #13
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Right, I forgot it! Thanks RB. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti-De_Monge_100P

Thanks to Peter, I've just learned that only the Royale had a "mascotte" ornement on the bonnet… or hood!
https://www.bugatti.com/fr/media/new...oyale-type-41/
I did not realize that the aeroplane had survived or that it was being/had been recreated. Pity it has been wrecked now. I wonder how the 2 Hyabusa engines compared to the 2 T50 engines in the original plane?
I think the emblems on the Royale were carved Ivory.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 10:57 (Ref:4031258)   #14
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Doesn't seem to be ivory, more likely silver or look alike. Design was due to Rembrandt Bugatti, according to wiki, Ettore brother. The elephant is the symbol of strength while remaining rather quite… La force tranquille en quelque sorte.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 11:05 (Ref:4031260)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Dont know what kind of emblems/ mascottes are sought after from your side of the Channel, but in France it seems the Lalique ones make a lot of money now. I'm not sure but it seems some are still produced. Some could be lighted, electricity provided by the dynamo, and you could even chose the color! Patented by Lalique.
Spirit of the Wind: https://www.musee-lalique.com/boucho...ateur-victoire
You'll find other famous ones like The Archer or La Libellule (dragonfly).
https://www.musee-lalique.com/boucho...ande-libellule
Old 26 Jan 2021, 12:44 (Ref:4031274)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Not sure what lalique has to do with competitive Pre War motor sport?
There is an expensive world wide market for them that’s an art thing rather than motorsport.
Bugatti ‘s are interesting! Either need an engine rebuild,having one or just had one.
Pretty cars!
Bentley’s are really tractors that seem to give the British, Dutch and Germans
A real macho feeling!
Seems I am involved with this thread so see which way it goes as I can then inform the gang that the best all round cars are Talbot 105’s but I could be biased!
Old 26 Jan 2021, 13:17 (Ref:4031282)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol, I hope you still have the Talbot, didn't Robs Lamplugh race one?
Old 26 Jan 2021, 13:33 (Ref:4031289)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Not aware Robs had one to go with Lotus 25 and Spitfire
I am down to seven Talbots including the three works cars .
We have won most things with them racing and rallies
Along with the Talbots have the unique 2 litre non blown Alta and the 1928 Leaf Hyper S
Ideal set for an old man
Question where do we race this year as question marks over most meeting although they are asking for entries for Donington and selling tickets for Goodwood.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 13:58 (Ref:4031292)   #19
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Goodwood has to be in doubt but I see no reason why UK racing can't happen behind closed doors as we did back in August - November last year. Just need the lockdown out of the way.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 14:03 (Ref:4031295)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Pre War @ the Revival? or MM? . . . . both ? maybe they'll have to recallibrate teir expectations given travel restrictions.

Presume the new tiddler is about the same size as the old Rileys JR? Do you need to be a smoker from childhood and malnourished to get in one ?
Old 26 Jan 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4031296)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The Leaf is bigger in cockpit than Riley’s and probably quicker but we will only find that out when Patch and Gareth have completed the rebuild
I can get in it !
Although the Riley’s were real Le Man cars from 30’s I couldn’t warm to them so they were sold. Not smartest of my moves as have been sold on for three times what I got for them. Not going to make a dealer( nor would want to be one!)
Old 26 Jan 2021, 14:22 (Ref:4031297)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Me neither, I'm sure we could write a good Aston Advert though.

Whilst I was squeezing into the Marcos a few years ago I questioned the cockpit size. Apparently Gem MArsh was well over 6' . . . . whilst servicing the car I dug deeper, to find the pedal box mounted 6" closer to the nut behind ther wheel and enough fresh air ahgead of them for another pair of size 10's.
Old 26 Jan 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4031337)   #23
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Leaf it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0819.JPG (34.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 26 Jan 2021, 19:14 (Ref:4031339)   #24
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

That’s the leaf but mine has wings!
Now a photo of Talbot BGH21 or GO52 along with Alta 2 litre!
Old 26 Jan 2021, 20:27 (Ref:4031365)   #25
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
That’s the leaf but mine has wings!
Now a photo of Talbot BGH21 or GO52 along with Alta 2 litre!
I hope this is the correct Alta!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 660.JPG (272.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 687.JPG (233.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 694.JPG (254.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Classic Sat 033.JPG (360.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0999.JPG (352.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8984.JPG (228.5 KB, 4 views)