Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Feb 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1522394)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Droop Snoot MGB

This is posted in the Historic Racing Now forum but its here to be knocked down by out history experts. It was prompted by a picture of the restored BMO 512B and its prototype nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
The interesting bit about the B at Le Mans was (I think) 1965 when it finished 11th overall and second (?) in class at an average speed of 99.99mph. The comps manager at the time figured this was better publicity than a 100mph average!

I'm not certain they ran that nose every year, in fact I have pictures of DRX 255C with conventional grill. (This one was crashed by Roger Enever on its way to the Marathon De La Route).

Indeed its more likely that only one set of bodywork for that nose was produced because it needed different front wings from the production components.

What they did do was replace the doors, front wings boot lid and bonnet with aluminium components (of course the bonnet was available as an option).

The first year of running they sent two cars to Sebring having tested them on an airfield in sub zero temperatures. Unsurprisingly they went bang after about two hours. 6 and 7 DBL were the cars IIRC.

Funnily enough not long after that 6 DBL appeared in practice for Le Mans with BMO 512B. They had some seriously fast Atlantic crossings in those days.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1522413)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm not certain they ran that nose every year, in fact I have pictures of DRX 255C with conventional grill. (This one was crashed by Roger Enever on its way to the Marathon De La Route).

Indeed its more likely that only one set of bodywork for that nose was produced because it needed different front wings from the production components.
And this was my response:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
According to Peter Browning, the Team's Competition Manager at Le Mans, they ran with the droop snout nose 3 years in succession and on different cars with, and I quote 'another droop-snout' nose, on each occasion;-

1963 - 7 DBL
1964 - BMO 541B
1965 - DRX 255C

As far as I can tell, they only used these special noses for Le Mans. The normal front end was used elsewhere, such as at Sebring.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1522417)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes but they ran two cars at Le Mans so only one wore that nose. Hence the pics with the conventional nose.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1522439)   #4
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's the same car I'm thinking of, I may be wrong, but wasn't there one at the Top Hat meeting at Mallory last year? if I remember right it was a dark red colour.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1522451)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
There were three there but I don't recall this one at all. Last time I saw it was Silverstone for the MGCC International meeting in July.

All Comps department MGB's were Tartan Red. The reason for this goes back to the early days of the Mille Miglia where they discovered that rail crossings and streets were cleared if the police saw a red car coming. Any other colour and lights turned red etc.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1522462)   #6
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that's the shade of red it may have been.

i haven't got the programme to hand so I couldn't tell you which race or number it was on the day.

It was pointed out to me by the observer on the post as I wondered what it was.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1522466)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well maybe its the Pia Bianchi car then.

I was too busy with clutch/gearbox problems to go wandering the paddock.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1522532)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes but they ran two cars at Le Mans so only one wore that nose. Hence the pics with the conventional nose.
Source, Peter, and which year? I can only find a single works Le Mans entry for each of those years, as listed above.

I can tell you however, that both BMO 541B and DRX 256C were entered at Sebring for the 1965 event with conventional MGB noses. The first had a 2004 cc engine and was entered as a prototype to get away from the competitive up to 2-litre class (as I said on another thread!) and the second was entered (as you said!) in the GT category before the BGT was produced.

(For those interested, my source for all this info. is 'The Works MGs' by Mike Allison and Peter Browning).
Old 14 Feb 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1522544)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
This is the picture that has triggered this discussion, taken at Silverstone in March of last year:-

Old 14 Feb 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1522567)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
John,

I'm working from memory but I recall a pic in the Mc Comb book (which is approximately 2000 miles from me) that showed two cars in the Le Mans pits.

Also got the Allison book which is likewise a long way from here.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1522590)   #11
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Graham Turner has an original painting of DRX 265C at Le Mans for sale on his website.

http://www.studio88.co.uk/acatalog/O..._Mans_325.html

Last edited by John Turner; 14 Feb 2006 at 14:08.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1522614)   #12
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
This is the picture that has triggered this discussion, taken at Silverstone in March of last year:-

Gosh ...looks a bit like a Bugeye...er...'Frogeye', doesn't it?
Old 14 Feb 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1522615)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A rather desirable item, Alan, and as an original painting probably good value at £850.

I think that this particular car, the last of the Le Mans works entered MGBs (1965) is still owned and raced by Barry 'Sideways'-Smith.

(Peter, sorry but I just cannot find any evidence of other 'B's at Le Mans, works or private, other than those I've listed.)
Old 14 Feb 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1522624)   #14
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This was on a French MGB site and shows DRX 265C with a normal front end and also with the Le Mans streamlined front. It seems to have been restored in standard trim.

http://mgcf.free.fr/retromobile2002.htm
Old 14 Feb 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1522630)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
As far as I can tell, they only raced them with the special nose at Le Mans so either nose would be an accurate reflection of their contemporary racing appearance.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1522637)   #16
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
I think I prefer Whizzo's version. It looks in lovely condition.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1522686)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Its DRX 255C and Barry still owns it.

The front was removed post Le Mans, then it was crashed (as I said above) the dmaged wing was replaced with a steel one and that is how it was until the first Le Mans Historic event when Barry got caught up in someone else's accident. I don't know if he restored it fully or restored it to its post Le Mand condition.

As I said John, I'm working from memory and I'll accept your word for it.

As to the aesthetics, I'm a bit of a traditionalist so I'm not keen on the snoot.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1522817)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, you are right, it is DRX 255C; a photo confirms this, although the results sheet in the Allison/Browning book says DRX 265C. Even more confusing, is that one of the Sebring cars is DRX 256C. I'm going to do some double checking, here, with other source books. However, I can say that I have found absolutely no reference to any other 'B's running at Le Mans than the three singleton entries for the years 1963 to 965.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1528047)   #19
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they did put the streamline nose up again several years ago to bring it back to Le Mans specs. I made a picture of drx255 in its garage close to Brooklands somewhere mid 90ties and then it had the normal flat nose on.
Before and after the shunt of Barry in LE Mans the car remains beautifull and still has bags of patina!
Esper