Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 29 Jul 2018, 07:42 (Ref:3839754)   #1
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ROGER WILLIAMSON July 29th 1973.

Remembering my dear friend, and mentor, Roger Williamson. Roger lost his life on this day 45 years ago.
Just an all round Great guy. Still miss you mate.
Gerry Taylor.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3839926)   #2
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Roger died 14 days after I saw him in an F1 car for the first and last time; I had seen him many times in F3 and , I think , once in F2. In never met him , as I was a callow and starstruck youth , but I did chat last year to someone who had known him well , I think had been at college with him , and even after all these years his affection was apparent and the sense of loss very clear .

I thought David Tremayne did a wonderful job in commemorating RW , together with Brise and Pryce, in his book .
Old 29 Jul 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3840075)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Watching that dramatic piece of footage of Purley trying to rescue him is quite moving. Thankfully marshal’s standards have improved no end

Williamson could have had a decent F1 career, he had the talent throughout his career, shame fate decided otherwise
Old 30 Jul 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3840103)   #4
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
'Quite moving '? It was heartbreaking....
Old 31 Jul 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3840395)   #5
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read about it and seen the footage many times before, absolutely dreadful.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 01:41 (Ref:3841758)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
'Quite moving '? It was heartbreaking....
I saw the film a year or so later, in a theatre with a friend. It showed the accident and Purley stopping and running to the inverted car, and I realized what I was watching unfold. I think in ways it was much worse to see it after having read accounts of what had unfolded.

Gut wrenching.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 22:41 (Ref:3841962)   #7
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I saw the film a year or so later, in a theatre with a friend. It showed the accident and Purley stopping and running to the inverted car, and I realized what I was watching unfold. I think in ways it was much worse to see it after having read accounts of what had unfolded.

Gut wrenching.
Horrible!
Old 7 Aug 2018, 00:34 (Ref:3841972)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
It was an outgrowth of what happened at Indy that year, when a rescue truck went up pit road in response to an accident, and one of the crew for that car ran into the path of the truck, with tragic consequences. The word around the world was not to go again the traffic on track, and you can see that in the film as a station just down the track looks up at the tragedy unfolding. Sad, terrible, awful. Horrible!
Old 29 Aug 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3846885)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't remember Roger without including the heroic move of David Purley trying to save him.
If I were with David then, surely will help him to save Roger.

skycafe, you're right about what you said.