Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 10 Aug 2018, 17:03 (Ref:3842831)   #426
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLangbein View Post
The car is currently owned by Joe Blacker, and was previously owned by Holger Ahl, who Vintage raced 78B-14 for a number of years. I will get more info about Holger’s time with the car, as I am in touch with him regularly. Joe only drove the car once a few years ago after buying it from Holger, then took the motor out to have it freshened (by Hank Clarkson)- one project led to another, and our shop got the car as a disassembled project, and we are restoring it. We plan on running the car at Lime Rock in September. We would love to know all we could about this car’s history- thanks
Very interesting. 78B-14 was originally an Ecurie Canada car, but people are always claiming EC cars, so we need to confirm that. Email me at allen@oldracingcars.com and we can discuss in more detail. I have become wary of posting too much on public forums.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3842879)   #427
Fabricator
Rookie

Fabricator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
I believe 29 were built, though whether or not that includes Keiji Matsumoto’s Datsun-powered 782P I don’t know. On top of that were 19 near-identical 782Bs, at least one of which raced in Asia with a Datsun engine, though most went to the US for F/Atlantic. Not to mention 11 Formula 3/FSV versions (783)
I used to keep detailed records of every single-seater chassis number I could find, but it got to be almost a fulltime job and I had backed off before the 782 was invented. Can’t therefore help much with chassis numbers, apart from:
No.1 was the first (really), which Giacomelli drove at Donington late in 1977
No.9 was apparently raced by John Mortensen in the US in 1978
No.14 F2 1978, raced by Eje Elgh in Atlantic spec in NZ 1979
No.15 Bill Brack in Canadian Atlantic 1978
No.16 one of the 1978 works cars, raced by Teo Fabi in New Zealand Atlantic series 1979
Alas you are wrong with 782 - 1 being raced by Bruno at Donington it was in fact a 77P under the 782 bodywork running provisional running gear. How can i be so sure, my user name should give you a clue. I was the fabricator that made both the monocoques.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 30 Jun 2020, 22:08 (Ref:3984830)   #428
radial
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
radial should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all.

Especially @IANHEB @allenbrown @Chris Townsend as you all seem to know a lot about this subject.

I've been keenly researching Dad's old race cars, including the March 782's and hence found this thread. A bit of a nightmare -2 and -12 aren't they?

Be great to talk to you about what you know.

Best Regards

Rad Dougall (jr)
Old 1 Jul 2020, 09:25 (Ref:3984879)   #429
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Rad

Yes, a bit of a nightmare, but I'm currently working with Chris Witty on the Toleman TG280 histories, so now might be a good time to look again at Toleman's 782s. I haven't used 10 Tenths for research for more than ten years, but if you email me at allen@oldracingcars.com, I'll copy Chris and Ian on my reply.