Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Mar 2015, 09:43 (Ref:3519291)   #26
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AND give a 2 min update of how Aussies are going overseas (and Kiwis good enough to be claimed as Aussies )
Old 29 Mar 2015, 22:50 (Ref:3521645)   #27
aussiemuscle308
Rookie

aussiemuscle308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone know what the simulator they are using for the race-off segment?
Old 29 Mar 2015, 23:08 (Ref:3521656)   #28
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a clip on YouTube where it was mentioned.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 23:24 (Ref:3521663)   #29
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemuscle308 View Post
it may be race 07 http://store.steampowered.com/app/8600/
with v8 supercar mods

http://www.racedepartment.com/downlo...cars-s60.5576/

V8 Supercars 2014 1.0
Australian v8 Grid autosport mod
http://www.racedepartment.com/thread...rs-2014.90906/
Old 30 Mar 2015, 05:45 (Ref:3521732)   #30
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
RPM?

I watched the new RPM for the first time yesterday and I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect and was certainly different to the olden days of Sheene and Woods but it was enjoyable none the less. Bit weird having a studio audience but I can't see it detracting from the show. I don't know who the guy and the girl on the panel were part from AJ and Bayliss, never heard of them but didn't annoy too much as they didn't seem to takeover the show.

The simulator bit was good for a laugh, although it seems previous head to head duels were a bit closer then Bayliss and Daz. And from where I sit the show still covers the big three (F1 V8s and Motogp) although I think they skimmed over the V8/ compared to the other two.

And it's good to have the cross to the weekends F1 race to catch up on what's happened at the track, really reminds me of the earlier times when the internet wasn't so widespread and RPM was a must watch on a Sunday afternoon to get your fix between quali and the race.

The piece on Miller at home with the family was along the lines of something seen many times on the shows in it's history and that wasn't a bad thing at all, it's good to see drivers and riders away from the track and what they do with their downtime.

I'll keep watching.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 02:37 (Ref:3522055)   #31
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemuscle308 View Post
it looks very much like rFactor to me.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 05:51 (Ref:3522086)   #32
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Foges gave both "RPM" and "Inside Supercars" quite a serve in AA this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
it looks very much like rFactor to me.
Looks like rfactor to me too
Old 31 Mar 2015, 13:44 (Ref:3522247)   #33
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I watched the new RPM for the first time yesterday and I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect and was certainly different to the olden days of Sheene and Woods but it was enjoyable none the less. Bit weird having a studio audience but I can't see it detracting from the show. I don't know who the guy and the girl on the panel were part from AJ and Bayliss, never heard of them but didn't annoy too much as they didn't seem to takeover the show.
In my opinion this week's show was an improvement. The guy (Sydney radio jock Brendan Jones) had a greatly reduced content compared to week 1 in which he showed us the bikes in his shed and tried to get a lame video clip segment off the ground. Wikipedia says he was a judge on "Bogan Hunters", shoulda stayed there. However, the show still needs to get better, and needs to encompass events other than F1/V8SC/MotoGP even if 10/ONE aren't covering them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Foges gave both "RPM" and "Inside Supercars" quite a serve in AA this week
He did ... good on him! Also noticed that a copy of AA was on the counter ... wonder if this week's AA will be on their counter next Sunday!
Old 12 Aug 2018, 06:18 (Ref:3843110)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is there any reason we have a non-Motorsport person hosting RPM the last couple of weeks?

The professionally trained voice modulation is not powered by passion for the sport, more just another broadcaster.

For all his faults, Mr Noonan would likely be a better choice as host!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Aug 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3843130)   #35
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Is there any reason we have a non-Motorsport person hosting RPM the last couple of weeks?

The professionally trained voice modulation is not powered by passion for the sport, more just another broadcaster.

For all his faults, Mr Noonan would likely be a better choice as host!
Are you referring to Matt White? I'm going to say it's for the same reason we have non-motorsport people on V8SC coverage ( Ms Crehan and Ms Yates ), although I don't know that reason. You look at other sports, they don't have to suffer non-that-sport people presenting it / providing during the game interviews / inflation etc, so why does motorsport get the short end of the stick? In the interests of being fair though, I don't actually mind Jessica Yates, and it's because she doesn't try to make out that she knows more than she does, and she doesn't talk herself into a hole and keep going. She knows when to stop talking and let the guys go, and when to come back in. And she seems to pick it up along the way and actually be able to understand the game, unlike the blond piece walking around the pits.....

Maybe it comes from the old days when you had people like Gary Wilkinson and other people who's names escape me, commentating Bathurst. The next week they'd be calling AFL. They could almost get away with it then because it was far less technical and far less tactical. These days a casual observer / network hack doesn't stand a chance.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3843139)   #36
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its not Matt White, it’s Scott someone or other
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Aug 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3843259)   #37
A-A
Rookie

A-A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Matt White's promotion means less time in front of the camera?
https://mumbrella.com.au/sports-pres...f-sport-516333
Old 13 Aug 2018, 02:08 (Ref:3843265)   #38
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Are you referring to Matt White? I'm going to say it's for the same reason we have non-motorsport people on V8SC coverage ( Ms Crehan and Ms Yates ), although I don't know that reason. You look at other sports, they don't have to suffer non-that-sport people presenting it / providing during the game interviews / inflation etc, so why does motorsport get the short end of the stick? In the interests of being fair though, I don't actually mind Jessica Yates, and it's because she doesn't try to make out that she knows more than she does, and she doesn't talk herself into a hole and keep going. She knows when to stop talking and let the guys go, and when to come back in. And she seems to pick it up along the way and actually be able to understand the game, unlike the blond piece walking around the pits.....

Maybe it comes from the old days when you had people like Gary Wilkinson and other people who's names escape me, commentating Bathurst. The next week they'd be calling AFL. They could almost get away with it then because it was far less technical and far less tactical. These days a casual observer / network hack doesn't stand a chance.
Well, lets see.

We just had the "joy" of having Adrian Barich (Ex AFL footballer) doing the on ground interviews for the World Series Rugby (Western Force vs Hong Kong) on Friday night. He actually asked the Hong Kong coach if he was familiar with the world series rules.
Lucy Zelic on SBS did the football (Soccer) on Saturday night (Tottenham vs Newcastle) and did her usual excellent job.

So it is common practice. The difference between those two is one is competent and the other not. Much like your example.

Lack of game experience (For want of a better description) doesn't mean people cant offer commentary. Mostly what is on offer from ex players/drivers is dumbed down anyway so you don't get great insights. For example I reckon Mark Larkham could offer more than an explanation of understeer or camber or fuel strategy, but he is unlikely to be allowed to.

The closest you get to insight is ex cricketers commentary (just not on channel nine, obviously). There again some of the greatest cricket commentators weren't test players. So at the end of the day it is about competence as much as it is about past careers.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3843745)   #39
William5
Racer

William5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Its not Matt White, it’s Scott someone or other
His name is Scott MacKinnon. Who features on Ten's Sports Tonight program + Wallabies games. I didn't think Scott MacKinnon was a motoring enthusiast.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3843780)   #40
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was Bill Woods a motoring enthusiast before he started hosting RPM in 1997? Had he had anything to do with motor racing prior to the 1996 Sandown 500?

Everyone seemed to accept him pretty quick

Is Matt White a motoring enthusiast and had he had anything to do with motor racing prior to TEN getting the V8 rights in 1997? Bar bit parts he didn't have anything to do with the coverage in any full-time capacity until 2002, despite being with Network Ten since the early 90s

Nothing wrong with non-motoring types in the mix, otherwise we end up with Cromtpn/Skaife/Murphy/Larkham in-jokes and incessant laughing rather than giving us information