Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 15 Aug 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3843748)   #26
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
As for who will take his place at McLaren? It'll be a driver who is associated with a team Alonso use to drive for. But I cannot mention his name. You'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

Brilliant, technically he has driven for 5 teams, but you word it in a way you can call it a scoop even though you probably haven’t a clue as usual!

For those wondering he previously raced for:

McLaren
Enstone / Renault
Ferrari
STR (Minardi)

And he also tested for Jaguar, now better known as Red Bull Racing...

So using your description it probably “narrows” it down to one of:

Hamilton
Vettel
Raikkonen
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Gasly
Hartley
Vergne
Leclerc
Giovinazzi
Perez
Ocon
Grosjean
Magnussen
Sainz
Hulk
Palmer
Norris
De Vries
Gutierrez

Sincere thanks for your “inside” knowledge!

Last edited by peebee2; 15 Aug 2018 at 10:54.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 10:49 (Ref:3843750)   #27
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally i'd like to see Lando, followed him from his early karting days.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 11:53 (Ref:3843760)   #28
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It would be refreshing to see Norris get the nod, but Zak Brown’s recent rhetoric suggests McLaren aren’t looking at rookies.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 12:05 (Ref:3843764)   #29
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Brilliant, technically he has driven for 5 teams, but you word it in a way you can call it a scoop even though you probably haven’t a clue as usual!

McLaren
Enstone / Renault
Ferrari
STR (Minardi)

Hamilton
Vettel
Raikkonen
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Gasly
Hartley
Vergne
Leclerc
Giovinazzi
Perez
Ocon
Grosjean
Magnussen
Sainz
Hulk
Palmer
Norris
De Vries
Gutierrez

I'd say that the possibilities are (most likely) Sainz or (least likely) Hulk...
Old 15 Aug 2018, 12:36 (Ref:3843766)   #30
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post

McLaren
Enstone / Renault
Ferrari
STR (Minardi)

Hamilton
Vettel
Raikkonen
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Gasly
Hartley
Vergne
Leclerc
Giovinazzi
Perez
Ocon
Grosjean
Magnussen
Sainz
Hulk
Palmer
Norris
De Vries
Gutierrez

The list is even longer,

'Associated' with a team.
Used to drive for.

So no confirmation it is even an F1 team, or that Alonso drove in a race for this team?
Old 15 Aug 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3843774)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Webber?
Old 15 Aug 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3843776)   #32
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Webber?
Has he ever been associated with a former Alonso team? 😉
Old 15 Aug 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3843795)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Trenchant opinions from Jody Scheckter: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...nso--scheckter
Does Scheckter really think that anyone gives a stuff what he thinks (like Villeneuve)?

For my money, whatever hangups people have about him (and since when did any great F1 driver not generate hangups....? ), still probably the best driver in F1. To be honest, after the last few years I'd say he's well rid of it and F1 is the poorer for his departure.

It's a personal opinion so please don't feel free to disagree as I'm not really that fussed.....
Old 15 Aug 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3843797)   #34
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The driver will have a super license.

You heard it here first chaps.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3843805)   #35
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Is Grosjean a possibility, if Haas are willing to part with him (which I think they would be?). It’d be a risk - mistakes and misfortune seem to dog him - but when the stars are aligned he’s fast.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3843861)   #36
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
This isn’t a hagiography site...
in a way i think it is. substitute saints and prophets for athletes and we are very much engaging in a modern day ecumenical debate about myth creation resulting in their canonization (and in some cases demonization).

and in time, opinions will change, soften or harden, new facts will come to light and we will go about reimagining these stories all over again.

fascinating in a way...archetypal even.

love him or hate him, this is the Book of Alonso.

the talented youth full of potential whose reward for early victory was fame and the feeding of a particular sort of arrogance that only comes from having massive ability in the first place. naturally, this was followed by inevitable controversy and self destruction. a downfall is really the only place this kind of arrogance leads and deservedly so.

his fall from grace was of course self inflicted but made better by several years wandering around in the desert in machinery far beneath his abilities. an exile from every home, he paid for his arrogance though this humbling.

and like all great saints, his contrition culminated in redemption and he emerged stronger on the other side, finding the glory in the light and a new path to walk (and hopefully a better car to drive).

its a classic tale as old as time. love it and love sports!

anyways...this analogy was far to much fun for me to walk away from. a load of hogwash to be sure but i think it will make for a great movie one day!
Old 16 Aug 2018, 02:49 (Ref:3843934)   #37
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
To my way of thinking this is a damning indictment of what F1 has become. The value of experience and skill has fallen to such a degree that the sport can no longer support the aspirations of its great talents, or provide them with the means to compete at the top level, the sport is indeed dead and we are just marking time until the faceless corporations decide enough and the sport dies.
Bye bye Fernando, vale F1.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 05:34 (Ref:3843944)   #38
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Perhaps ironically, Alonso is 'having' to leave F1 because there is 'too much' talent in F1, reducing his must have status. As Autosport said, if there was no Vettel or Lewis or Ricciardo or Verstappen, one of the top teams would of hired Alonso. And this not including the up coming drivers. Some are making it out to be a failure of F1, when really it was the failure of McLaren to build a competitive car, or even have one on the horizon that made Alonso's patience run out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
To my way of thinking this is a damning indictment of what F1 has become. The value of experience and skill has fallen to such a degree that the sport can no longer support the aspirations of its great talents, or provide them with the means to compete at the top level, the sport is indeed dead and we are just marking time until the faceless corporations decide enough and the sport dies.
Bye bye Fernando, vale F1.
Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 16 Aug 2018, 08:19 (Ref:3843960)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Fred's talent has been wasted with these last few seasons with the cars he has driven. Just a shame, he's still a great fighter who is capable of winning a title
Old 16 Aug 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3843964)   #40
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
As for who will take his place at McLaren? It'll be a driver who is associated with a team Alonso use to drive for. But I cannot mention his name. You'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

Hello, what time zone are you reserving for “tomorrow” - which is now today? Just so we can make sure you get the credit due.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3843970)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The driver will have a super license.

You heard it here first chaps.
Channock Nissany?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Aug 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3843972)   #42
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jenson Button?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 13:04 (Ref:3843998)   #43
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The other McLaren driver confirmed.

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/ins...-mclaren-2019/

Old 16 Aug 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3843999)   #44
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Has he ever been associated with a former Alonso team? 😉
Minardi
Old 16 Aug 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3844003)   #45
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Carlos Sainz following the road map of his hero. Faenza on to Enstone, on route to Woking.

Hope to see CS doing well at McLaren next year. He has somewhat underperformed this season so far. Would like to see Sainz, along with Ricciardo, take it to HAM and VET. Think they both have what it takes - as long as they have they car underneath them to perform.

Apparently Sainz has cut all ties with Red Bull with his new McLaren contract. Good move that I reckon. RBR has gone up a few notches in my most disliked teams.

Old 16 Aug 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3844013)   #46
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The other McLaren driver confirmed.

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/ins...-mclaren-2019/
So your source was wrong then?

I wouldn't describe a current driver of a team as 'associated with' 😉
Old 16 Aug 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3844042)   #47
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
That's screwed up Sainz career from the start of 2019 then..
Old 16 Aug 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3844056)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not a bad move for McLaren. Can think of a lot worse choices. The question now is, who will be his teammate?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3844067)   #49
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Alonso due to test a current-spec IndyCar. I’d be surprised not to see him Stateside in 2019.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3844097)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

I think it’s looking more and more likely he will make the move across the pond. Surely it’s a question of when not if the announcement will come?