Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Feb 2004, 07:41 (Ref:883632)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
3rd car for friday's

I was just wondering if anyone knows if any teams will run a third car on friday at Albert Park ?

I have been reading up on the rules (a little bit) and it seems 6 of the 10 teams are allowed to run a third car on Friday , so is there any plans of anyone doing this and are the drivers confirmed yet ?

Just asking because i will be at albert park on the friday and it would be good to see a couple of more cars out there.

CHEERS
Marcus
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:33 (Ref:883678)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is the 3rd driver line up from teams that are eligible to run in Friday sessions.

BAR - Davidson
Jordan - Glock
Toyota - Zonta
Jaguar - Wirdheim

All of the above are due to run in Friday sessions at every Grand Prix.

Sauber - have stated that they won't run a 3rd car, but Ferrari has mumbled about funding a 3rd Sauber seat for Badoer in order to collect more tyre data. Nothing confirmed on that yet, so probably unlikely for Melbourne.

Minardi - I haven't heard a 3rd driver confirmed, we assume that they will have a selection over the season.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 10:25 (Ref:883769)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Using the third drivers could play a bigger part than just more data. It may be a good idea to get the third driver to do the installation lap in each car. This way, if there was a problem with the new engine it could be changed without penalising the race drivers.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 10:37 (Ref:883777)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Presumably what Adam suggests is allowed? Third drivers using more than one engine, and then passing the endine onto the race drivers? The only problem I can see with this is that it'll cost the race drivers a lot of track time - which is especially bad for the rookies.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 11:10 (Ref:883823)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It's also worth remembering that the third car is allowed to run in different livery from the race cars which could help some of the smaller teams.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 11:54 (Ref:883878)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Presumably what Adam suggests is allowed? Third drivers using more than one engine, and then passing the endine onto the race drivers? The only problem I can see with this is that it'll cost the race drivers a lot of track time - which is especially bad for the rookies.
I'm pretty sure it is.

For the track time reason you mention I woul dlimit it to just the installation laps. The first chance to check theengine is OK and also of limited use to the driver.

However what about at Barcelona or other tracks used in testing a lot. Do they really need to do much running there? However it realies on having a decent tester (despite the less than 6GP in the last 2 years rule).
Old 24 Feb 2004, 12:50 (Ref:883959)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer

Sauber - have stated that they won't run a 3rd car, but Ferrari has mumbled about funding a 3rd Sauber seat for Badoer in order to collect more tyre data. Nothing confirmed on that yet, so probably unlikely for Melbourne.

I personally wouldn't be so sure about that ST. Sauber have a 3rd car available, obviously, and i think that Ferrari won't want to miss the oppertunity, after all, it's got to be an advantage to them having Badoer doing tyre evaluation for them, so i wouldn't be surprised to see Luca in the car at Oz.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 13:08 (Ref:883981)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For Friday's what? Or did you mean Fridays?

Aren't I Mr Pedant today?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 13:23 (Ref:883996)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It could well be Mr V.

Actually it's just reminded me of the great irony of the situation. The top teams would not agree to change the 3rd drive rule on the basis that running an experienced driver on Friday could give the smaller teams an 'advantage'....

Ironic then that Ferrari should consider Badoer to run 'for them' in a Sauber...How many thousand K's has Luca run in a a Ferrari over the last few years - yet a driver like Wilson was considered 'too experienced' under the 3rd driver criteria.

Classic!

Last edited by Super Tourer; 24 Feb 2004 at 13:25.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 13:26 (Ref:883997)   #10
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder whether the top teams will send any cars out at all on the friday?

I guess at the new cicuits in china and bahrain they will just have to do more than installation laps?

we're going to end up with some bizarre timesheets on fridays - especially if people use them as a pr exercise. which the less well funded almost certainly will!
Old 24 Feb 2004, 17:33 (Ref:884215)   #11
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where's Marcus been!?...Agreed Sonic!
Old 24 Feb 2004, 20:37 (Ref:884451)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
what do you mean where have I been , I've been at work all night if thats what your asking ?

can we a little bit more specific here ????
Old 24 Feb 2004, 22:23 (Ref:884582)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Rennen will Ant be pounding the circuits on Fridays do you know or are BAR going to miss out?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 22:37 (Ref:884601)   #14
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm, soooo

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
It's also worth remembering that the third car is allowed to run in different livery from the race cars which could help some of the smaller teams.
+ Luca driving a Sauber paied by Ferrari = a red Sauber?

Last edited by nkh; 24 Feb 2004 at 22:38.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 23:17 (Ref:884658)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Davidson will definitely run on Fridays, as will Glock, Wirdheim and Zonta.

Although I understand Ryan Briscoe will sub for Zonta at the Australian GP.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 23:21 (Ref:884667)   #16
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
they is no 1 engine rule for the 3rd car
Old 25 Feb 2004, 09:08 (Ref:884953)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
wow , will be interesting to see Briscoe in the car at melbourne , hope he does better than the last time he drove there !!!