Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 31 Jan 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1214063)   #26
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ted Vinson – yes Manor Motorsport is the team at Dinnington.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1219245)   #27
ted vinson
Rookie

ted vinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks JJ I might go for a look!
Old 7 Feb 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1219248)   #28
ted vinson
Rookie

Thanks JJ I might go for a look! By the way, for anyone who is interested I've found some pictures of Mick Hill in his Boss Capri from 1972! These pictures I have found throw up evidence of some sort of Cologne Capri racing against Mick's Capri. Want to know the result, then go to [url]www.mikehaywardcollection.co.uk. The race was the Supersport 200 at Silverstone in 1972. Any memories anybody?

Last edited by ted vinson; 7 Feb 2005 at 10:39.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1219288)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ted,

The "Yogi" Muir Capri wasn't a "Cologne" Capri. It was one of the original Broadspeed 2.6 litre cars built to Group 2 Spec. Weslake heads (as used by the Works team) but most of the suspension and bodywork development was Broadspeed not Ford competitions.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1219289)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of course I stand to be corrected here.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1219896)   #31
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, er, I think actually it was a "Cologne" Capri, built there by Gartlan's team, and briefly tested at Hockenheim before being shipped to the UK for the first round at the Race of Champs.

Now at some point in the season it was fitted with a Weslake engine, as there was some Ford political nonsense at the TT where they "instructed" to re-fit the Cologne engine ..., except they didn't.

(Most of this courtesy of Autosport!)

and I'm willing to be corrected aswell...

Oh, and I was at the Super Sports 200 in may 1972... and remember the saloon race quite well...

Last edited by Jeremy Jackson; 8 Feb 2005 at 00:34.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 05:21 (Ref:1220005)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
hmm,

Working from memory here.

The story that I know went along the lines of Weslake producing the heads for the "Cologne" engined cars up to the 2.9, then they became Essex engined with the Cosworth GAA. Broadspeed produced the chassis work etc until Ford Competitions took over (or maybe they ran parallel?) at the end of '72. Broadspeed invented the multi-linked suspension and the plastic rear springs.

Thought this was a pre '72 car so the car could have been a works car but I thought they ran in "FAMI" colours in '72.

Anyway the development of these cars was fascinating.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1220170)   #33
ted vinson
Rookie

I think regardless of what spec the car was, we have gone some way to answering my original question as to who would win! On this occasion the ''Cologne'', ''Yogi'' or ''Broadspeed'' Capri prevailed. Judging by the photo of the race it looked like Mick Hill was on pole, was he beaten fair and square or did he have some sort of problem?
Old 8 Feb 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1220244)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep and I suspect it was down to handling. The rear end of the Group 2 car was quite special.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1220258)   #35
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Silverstone race was a damn close one, but Hill only ever had the lead briefly (and I think Muir spun on the first lap aswell) but it was a half wet, half dry circuit, the race was run between the 2 Interserie heats.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1236659)   #36
ted vinson
Rookie

Can't remember if I was at that race! Have recollections of other races though! Does anybody know who got the upper hand between Mick Hill and Gerry Marshall? I suspect that they raced on numerous occasions, just cannot remember any in particular! Who was the better driver?