Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:15 (Ref:392108)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You actually watched Indianapolis?!?!?!

Sourced from Yahoo.com Sports:

Quote:
Colin Edwards may have emerged triumphant over Troy Bayliss in yesterday's thrilling finale to the 2002 season, but such was the display of racing skill and sportsmanship seen at Imola that there was only one real winner: World Superbikes.

WSBK and bike fans worldwide were treated to a glimpse of what motorsport could - and should - be as Edwards and Bayliss battled tooth and nail to the last lap of the last race of the season, with the world crown at stake - all in stark contrast to the Ferrari formation seen just hours later at Indianapolis which confirmed that F1 fans are destined to remember 2002 for being one of the dullest seasons, in terms of racing, ever.

The relentless race two battle was described later by Edwards as "as tough as a race gets," while Bayliss expressed the thoughts of many by adding: "It's been a great year as far as the racing and the championship goes and I think between Colin and me we just about summed the season up in that last race."

Edwards looks set to stay in World Superbikes next year - almost certainly on a works Ducati - while Bayliss will make the switch to MotoGP, meaning that Sunday may well have been the last chance to see the 'Texas Tornado' and the 'Wonder from Down Under' do battle - but the performance they produced in their last encounter won't be forgotten in a hurry.
And you know which one I watched? Well, it wasn't the one that puts me to sleep after 5 laps
Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:20 (Ref:392114)   #2
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what...five WHOLE laps?!
Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:23 (Ref:392119)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'm sure it helped that it was'nt on at 4am too

I must admit, watching the WSB before the Gp did'nt help. Great stuff!
Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:43 (Ref:392140)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I turned over to the race during commercial breaks in the football games. I cannot understand why the FIA is allowing F1 to drop to such a level. I firmly believe that F1 now exists solely as Ferrari's playground. Apparently they are allowed to do anything they want to do without repurcussion. Its a real shame. There have been dominant seasons by teams in the past, but rarely has their been such blatant race fixing as goes on with Ferrari. The current management of the famed marque are systematically destroying the racing heritage that Enzo worked so hard to build. Sure they are accumulating wins, but they are destroying what little integrity F1 has left with their constant antics at race end.
Never forget #99
Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:45 (Ref:392143)   #5
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Couldn't believe it is the last lap when Bayliss's feet came of the pedals as the bike twitched owing to the sheer effort he was putting in - great to watch.

Oh for the day when F1 has such competition in the final stages of a race.

I watched F1 Indy at 4am this morning on video after being woken up with a request for a beaker of milk! I actually enjoyed it more than many races this season, perhaps it was the insomnia!
Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:53 (Ref:392150)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Superbike race was outstanding! And on the podium at the end there was no shifty-eyed pretense that "all in the garden is lovely" -- these guys actually liked each other!

Loved seeing sparks fly during the racing too.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:57 (Ref:392153)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those two final SBK races were superb, Race 2 was the best race i have ever seen. Left F1 for dead, thats for sure.

It's nearly a 24 hours since and i still can't believe how fantastic that stuff was, maybe because there haven't been all the many championships go down to the wire in this year of motorsport domination. As the article states, the real winner was World Superbikes, there was a new record crowd at Imola, 97,000, smaller than the USGP, but how much lower was that crowd to the last 2 years.

The other thing the F1 race lacked was Suzi Perry, but that's the same problem all year

Last edited by racer69; 30 Sep 2002 at 13:03.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 13:09 (Ref:392159)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched the Indy GP 'live', if you call it that - whilst polishing off the remains of a bottle of vintage claret and cheese - just about made it bearable.....
Old 30 Sep 2002, 13:46 (Ref:392198)   #9
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That WSBK double-header was so much fun! It was on at 3am here in Perth but i watched it all from start to finish and "forgot" to stay up for the F1 race which started at 5am here anyway...

Ferrari are too far ahead and the closest drivers (Williams) crash and make too many mistakes breaking their cars! I hope Bernie can sort out something cos i have lost interest finally in F1.