Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 11 Dec 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3869533)   #4101
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
'Not being educated, but that's neither here nor there. 'Has nothing to do with my point that most fans don't give a crap would fuel is being used; 'not why they do.
Actually fuel type was included in many of the returned surveys from both Indy management and Racer as a return to methanol was bandied about as a return to high horsepower cars. It was dropped quickly by the bosses but it was a hot item with some fans.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 02:56 (Ref:3869577)   #4102
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It was a follow on from your point about CART succeeding with methanol, so in that context it is very much here or there. If most fans don't give a crap about what fuel is used, that's fine but there are plenty of fans who do.
My pernt was that the cars were fine with methanol then ethanol (forgot to mention they went from meth to eth). The switch to 85 thing was just a gimmick to please and have tree huggers associate with.
I have never run into your "plenty", tho' I'm sure "they're" out there somewhere. No spectators, I've met at any track care. I'm highly opinionated (can't you tell....) and, again, I could care less as long as they're ICEs.

Quote:
Not entirely correct or incorrect then, as per the Parnelli Jones example and I'm sure there are plenty more.
NaBUru38 was entirely correct. They didn't state that all cars made only one stop. Heck, even my example was the plan...but Gurney had to stop for tires more than once if I recall correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
In the early 1960s, cars would do just one pitstop, therefore they would carry many more gallons that the current 18.
This discussion carries as much weight as my concern of fuel on board...don't you agree?

jimclark
Old 12 Dec 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3869637)   #4103
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My pernt was that the cars were fine with methanol then ethanol (forgot to mention they went from meth to eth). The switch to 85 thing was just a gimmick to please and have tree huggers associate with.
I have never run into your "plenty", tho' I'm sure "they're" out there somewhere. No spectators, I've met at any track care. I'm highly opinionated (can't you tell....) and, again, I could care less as long as they're ICEs.
To give a brief history, from 1996-2005 the IRL used pure methanol. In 2006, the IRL began to make the transition from methanol to ethanol, using a mixture of 90% methanol and 10% ethanol. This was primarily due to the late Paul Dana, who had brought the Ethanol Promotion and Information Council as sponsors, when he drove for Hemelgarn Racing, in 2005. When he moved to Rahal Letterman Racing, EPIC sponsorship went with him.

In 2007, the IRL switched to E100, advertising itself as the first competitive series to use renewable fuel. From 2012 season the Ethanol fuel blend was changed to E85, to match the mix used by road car engines.

Quote:
NaBUru38 was entirely correct. They didn't state that all cars made only one stop. Heck, even my example was the plan...but Gurney had to stop for tires more than once if I recall correctly.
NaBUru38 said: "In the early 1960s, cars would do just one pitstop, therefore they would carry many more gallons that the current 18."

To which I replied: "That's incorrect. For example in the 1963 Indy 500, race winner Parnelli Jones made 3 stops, on lap 62, lap 125 and lap 160."

Quote:
This discussion carries as much weight as my concern of fuel on board...don't you agree?
I'm not too sure what you mean by that, this isn't a competition to see whether one discussion carries more weight than another.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 00:10 (Ref:3869803)   #4104
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
I PMed you.

jimclark
Old 14 Dec 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3870141)   #4105
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Private test on February 8 at Laguna Seca.

https://racer.com/2018/12/13/laguna-...-indycar-test/
Old 18 Dec 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3871093)   #4106
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The World Endurance Championship LMP1 and LMP2 team DragonSpeed, to run a part-time IndyCar programme in 2019.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140706
Old 18 Dec 2018, 14:54 (Ref:3871138)   #4107
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The World Endurance Championship LMP1 and LMP2 team DragonSpeed, to run a part-time IndyCar programme in 2019.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140706
Hanley has looked good in sportscars, will be interesting to see how he stacks up in indycar. Also, will the team be collaborating within an existing team or coming in completely on their own I wonder?
Old 18 Dec 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3871146)   #4108
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Hanley has looked good in sportscars, will be interesting to see how he stacks up in indycar. Also, will the team be collaborating within an existing team or coming in completely on their own I wonder?
The last paragraph says: "DragonSpeed told Autosport earlier this year it might consider an affiliation with an existing team, but it has opted to run its own operation at least initially."

It's good to see a new team strike out on their own, even though it is part-time.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3871151)   #4109
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The last paragraph says: "DragonSpeed told Autosport earlier this year it might consider an affiliation with an existing team, but it has opted to run its own operation at least initially."

It's good to see a new team strike out on their own, even though it is part-time.
Thanks, guess my reading skills failed me again!
Old 18 Dec 2018, 15:58 (Ref:3871162)   #4110
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cosworth has spoken to several manufacturers regarding a potential IndyCar engine programme.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3871165)   #4111
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
Cosworth has spoken to several manufacturers regarding a potential IndyCar engine programme.
Excellent news if it happens.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3871185)   #4112
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
The return of Lotus!

But seriously, any ideas who it might be?
Old 18 Dec 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3871196)   #4113
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great to see Dragonspeed in the championship, should do well
Old 18 Dec 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3871209)   #4114
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The return of Lotus!

But seriously, any ideas who it might be?
The article says Cosworth have signed a long-term contract with Fiat-Chrysler. FCA Italy own Italian based brands Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Lancia, while FCA US own US brands Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram.

If Cosworth were to produce an engine for FCA, FCA could either badge it for the US domestic market, in which case they could go for Dodge, who used to have a presence in NASCAR, or maybe FCA would want a more international profile, so either Alfa-Romeo or Lancia, as both brands have a well established motorsports heritage.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 18 Dec 2018 at 19:25.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3871397)   #4115
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Abarth would be nice

Dodge would be more realistic
Old 20 Dec 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3871679)   #4116
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
BorgWarner, who make turbochargers and whose name is on the 500 Trophy, signed an extension to provide IndyCar with turbochargers up until 2021, when the new engine formula comes in. Turbochargers, engine control units, etc., will be up for tender.

https://racer.com/2018/12/19/borgwar...ocharger-deal/
Old 22 Dec 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3871972)   #4117
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Looks like McLaren won't make their first IndyCar test until April.

https://racer.com/2018/12/20/mclaren...-indycar-test/
Old 31 Dec 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3873337)   #4118
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Santiago Urrutia shares his struggles to become a professional, paid driver.

https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota...-2018122815460
Old 31 Dec 2018, 21:33 (Ref:3873357)   #4119
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Oh.

jimclark
Old 31 Dec 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3873362)   #4120
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The article says Cosworth have signed a long-term contract with Fiat-Chrysler. FCA Italy own Italian based brands Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Lancia, while FCA US own US brands Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram.

If Cosworth were to produce an engine for FCA, FCA could either badge it for the US domestic market, in which case they could go for Dodge, who used to have a presence in NASCAR, or maybe FCA would want a more international profile, so either Alfa-Romeo or Lancia, as both brands have a well established motorsports heritage.

Intriguing... not Lancia though, surely? No vehicles for sale in North America. But given the recent push to market Alfa in NA, maybe that would make sense?
Old 1 Jan 2019, 15:45 (Ref:3873442)   #4121
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Lancia sells a single car in Italy, who knows for how longer.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 00:59 (Ref:3873519)   #4122
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Intriguing... not Lancia though, surely? No vehicles for sale in North America. But given the recent push to market Alfa in NA, maybe that would make sense?
Alfa will have a much higher motorsport's profile than Lancia, considering Alfa's involvement with Sauber.

Being in both F1 and IndyCar would be an excellent marketing opportunity.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3873608)   #4123
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
forget it. Neither Lancia nor Alfa Romeo will be in IndyCar for the next 5 years. Nor will be another manufacture. It will stay at 2. Unfortunately. It's a shame there is a run at Formula E and such series but not at IndyCar.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3873623)   #4124
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
forget it. Neither Lancia nor Alfa Romeo will be in IndyCar for the next 5 years. Nor will be another manufacture. It will stay at 2. Unfortunately. It's a shame there is a run at Formula E and such series but not at IndyCar.
Why do you say that?
Old 3 Jan 2019, 20:14 (Ref:3873832)   #4125
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Primarily because he is anti-anything other than doom and gloom Indy news. But so far the poster has been wrong about most things so he's an ignore button candidate to me. If MP and RM are both less pessimistic it could happen than their usual, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of a new engine. More so if Cosworth is involved and has cash, think they could start from zero and have an engine for 2020 if not late this season.