Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 11 Apr 2002, 02:39 (Ref:256912)   #1
GM Man
Racer

GM Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F-Ford needs change?

Some recent events have meant a reduction of the FF grid. Manufacture support seems vital, as shown by Renault, maybe it's time for FF to change? A powerplant change with manufacture support could be an answer. The series needs backing to reduce the costs but maintain the high level of professionalism brought to the class by the teams.
Ford, at the moment, does not give a penny to have their own racing series.

There are ongoing discussions how to cut costs and a tyre limit is a good idea, but that will just bring the costs maybe £5000 from £120000 to £115000. Is that enough to bring interest back?

Ideas please!!
Old 11 Apr 2002, 08:53 (Ref:257029)   #2
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, Ford no longer puts any backing into the category and with all their money being pumped into the glitz and glamour of F1 and WRC, can you really see them doing a u-turn on this one?

I don't think there's anyone on earth who doesn't want to see it return to big grids however. The racing has and always will be very close. Let's face it, we all love a good 'Ford' race.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 13:09 (Ref:257233)   #3
Richard Dean
Rookie

Richard Dean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford needs a home first of all, this may sound strange but who is in charge? At the moment it is the BRSCC and an overseing regulator from Ford, TOCA and BMP who all have a say in it. It needs one place, somewhere or someone who all the Teams, drivers etc. can go to for information and input of ideas. It needs somebody who has the time and genuine belief in the long term future, not organisations who find it too much trouble to take phone calls about.

The easiest thing to do right now to bolster the grids would be to merge the two championships again, Junior and senior. The Junior series was born only two years ago out of the fact Ford was so strong it couldn't fit all the cars on the grid. Now that economy or whatever has changed this position lets go back to the two classes together. Team's could reduce costs by running for example 2 senior cars and a junior without having to go to other venues, trucks, staff etc. F3 has a scholarship class and is not seen as weak, break the two F3 grids up and it is in the same shape as the two Ford Championships.

Hopefully then everybody would stop writing the Formula off because we would have 35+ cars. Then at this point sensible changes to control costs without the panic could gradually take place, tyres, testing, cost of cars and parts etc.

Sorry to rant on but I find it frustrating to see a great Formula that produces great drivers and great racing left in the hands of, who?
Old 11 Apr 2002, 13:21 (Ref:257243)   #4
Spinner
Racer

Spinner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very well put, I back you up 100% with that. I have competed in the junior championship, and when trying to ask for help, people would just fob me off to someone else and I would end up in circles wasting valuable time!!!
Old 11 Apr 2002, 16:45 (Ref:257388)   #5
GM Man
Racer

I agree in full with you slipery. They should have merged the two for this year. If they had, no one would have written it off either!

But surely the only reason to keep the ford name (and engine etc) must be the fantastic history of F Ford?
Get some other big car company (there are plenty to talk to) to back the series with entryfees and free engines (or something) +get tyres limited and it should be back on track.
The big thing, as you pointed out slipery, is getting around to doing it!
Old 11 Apr 2002, 20:20 (Ref:257580)   #6
TVR
Rookie

TVR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here here slippy
Old 12 Apr 2002, 06:38 (Ref:257868)   #7
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The seniors and juniors should merge back into one series and have strong regional supports and feeder series.
That way numbers would be up, and so would interest. People could runa competitve car for between bugger all and £20k without having to travel all over the UK. if successful and willing they could then move up to the national series, money allowing of course.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 19:06 (Ref:259221)   #8
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by slipery
At the moment it is the BRSCC

Sorry to rant on but I find it frustrating to see a great Formula that produces great drivers and great racing left in the hands of, who?

And there's your reason, anything the BRSCC get hold of goes down the drain.

I presume then that the BRSCC are responsible for promotion and administration of the championship?

This now makes sense.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 21:49 (Ref:259315)   #9
GM Man
Racer

Oh my...=)
Old 14 Apr 2002, 00:51 (Ref:259448)   #10
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyway, isn't the idea of allowing year old cars to enter the senior championship a first step towards a merger? Why haven't more junior teams entered their cars into the seniors? As far as I'm aware it was only Joey Foster at Brands in a '01 car?

By all accounts the '01 cars seem to have an edge on this year's so what is stopping the junior teams from taking up this new option?

But slipery is right - seems both the senior parts of FF and F3 are slightly on the wane - can't these perceptive PR types see that cash is a big barrier that needs to be broken down - either that or put more effort into promoting the junior fords and scholarship F3?

And it might help FF to have a sponsor now that Slick 50 have withdrawn - who is responsible for finding a backer? BMP? Why haven't they done so?

Last edited by Francesca; 14 Apr 2002 at 11:19.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 11:17 (Ref:259803)   #11
GM Man
Racer

Two very good point sgrok.

Fords seems neglected. Someone needs to start caring.
I to was surprised not more junior drivers entered the race at Brands, does anyone know who has entered for Oulton?