Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 Dec 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3789986)   #1
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Motorsport tv in UK "The History of Le Mans"

Just seen a post on petrolheads about this.

first programme is 1st January on the early history.
Old 31 Dec 2017, 16:58 (Ref:3789988)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
First programme at 22.00 pm and second at 22.15. After that every night at 22.00 until 8th january
Old 2 Jan 2018, 14:38 (Ref:3790314)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
In case you missed it the first two episodes were actually very good, all in black and white but some interesting facts and an interesting view of the area opposite the pits, and yes those old loos were there in 1950, i make a tradition of always using them at least once every time i attend a race, tonight episode includes 1955 and the big accident,
Old 2 Jan 2018, 18:45 (Ref:3790344)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A visit to the '****-wall' is one of those things which is in fact obligatory for male visitors each year........
Old 2 Jan 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3790348)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
A visit to the '****-wall' is one of those things which is in fact obligatory for male visitors each year........
To explain that to those under a certain age or first timers, the old toilet block i mentioned has at its rear an old fashioned french open air gents urinal, i think it has the french equivalent of listed status. i have used it at least once on everyone of my visits to the hallow grounds of le mans.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3790525)   #6
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This week : Wed 1960, Thu 1970, Fri 1980, Sat 1990, Sun 2000. With other diffusions the day after.
I will record everything on my HD, but I can only save in PAL quality on DVD. I'd say that the document is more important than its video quality.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 20:40 (Ref:3790527)   #7
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
To explain that to those under a certain age or first timers, the old toilet block i mentioned has at its rear an old fashioned french open air gents urinal, i think it has the french equivalent of listed status. i have used it at least once on everyone of my visits to the hallow grounds of le mans.
Each person I met at le Mans have known it since ever. It has no age. This is a monument. They won't remove it.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3790687)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They would risk Bentley03's wrath for sure if they did!
Old 4 Jan 2018, 21:46 (Ref:3790723)   #9
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, for sure monumental.
Old 5 Jan 2018, 10:06 (Ref:3790779)   #10
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
They would risk Bentley03's wrath for sure if they did!
Too right, a building of significant historical importance and my first port of call on arriving at the circuit each June. Of particular interest is the ecosystem in the narrow water channel above the urinals, always teeming with life and seemingly undisturbed for decades.

Old 5 Jan 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3790850)   #11
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Too right, a building of significant historical importance and my first port of call on arriving at the circuit each June. Of particular interest is the ecosystem in the narrow water channel above the urinals, always teeming with life and seemingly undisturbed for decades.

All the charm of an old fountain of a town centre.

By the way, on the ACO's movies there are some good quick views of the old versions of the village.

Last edited by PascaLM; 5 Jan 2018 at 15:21.
Old 5 Jan 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3790858)   #12
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The last episode is tonight 1980, so just before i started going, been very interesting so far with loads of footage i have never seen before
Old 5 Jan 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3790926)   #13
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The last episode is tonight 1980, so just before i started going, been very interesting so far with loads of footage i have never seen before
Must watch it as that was the first year I went. Some would take a dim view of the weather that year.

Sean
Old 6 Jan 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3790972)   #14
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
No got it wrong, series continues with 1990 tonight, so look out for a much younger me in the crowd.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3791603)   #15
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post

I'm not the tallest of guys so that 'ecosystem' is always quite alarmingly close to my face! All part of the charm though, long may it remain.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 09:49 (Ref:3804851)   #16
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
It's funny to see how, year after year, the circuit, the village and ads are transformed and get closer to what we have known in the previous years and today.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3804906)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
just watched the latest one 1972 and it is beginning to look more like my first year, does anyone know when the dinning area with the zig zag tables (one side for customers the other staff, disappeared as i can't remember ever seeing them.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3804991)   #18
antonylight
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cobham
antonylight should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridantonylight should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Zig-Zag Tables

I first went to the 24 Hours in 1973 and they were there then - i would think they disappeared about 1978/9 though my memory may be failing me!
Old 1 Mar 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3805019)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
they seem to show them every year so in about two weeks we will know.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3805069)   #20
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
If i remember well, the rotonde was still on place in 1984 or 85, I don't remember precisely the zig-zag tables.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 00:38 (Ref:3805071)   #21
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
I have found this :
http://forgottencircuits.pagesperso-...ndesstands.htm

On the picture of 1987, its still there.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3805274)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It's a shame that the 1968 bungalow has gone........
Old 6 Mar 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3806335)   #23
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
It's funny to see how, year after year, the circuit, the village and ads are transformed and get closer to what we have known in the previous years and today.
It is also funny to see year after year the same scenes like people sleeping on the ground, waking up after a " hard night", washing at the water-taps....Big transformations on the circuit but same behaviours.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 21:09 (Ref:3806360)   #24
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
It is also funny to see year after year the same scenes like people sleeping on the ground, waking up after a " hard night", washing at the water-taps....Big transformations on the circuit but same behaviours.
Somethings thankfully never change
Old 6 Mar 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3806364)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
Like driving up on your motorbike in the centre of Le Mans, surprising unsuspecting Brits on holiday........