Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jan 2001, 22:28 (Ref:57179)   #1
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hi folks, I noticed after re-watching some GP's during this dreadful off-season, that although there is a tobacco ban at the british GP and the teams run non-tobacco cars, there are "Marlboro F1" ad-boards around the track. One sign at Abbey and another after chapel. Anyone know the reason for this?? It kinda makes the non-tobacco liveries a bit meaningless...
Old 7 Jan 2001, 23:02 (Ref:57200)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I might be talking complete rubbish here, but isn't some of the trackside advertising computer generated on the TV feed?
Old 8 Jan 2001, 00:42 (Ref:57243)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I have my doubts about the adequacy of banning tobacco advertising on race cars and race tracks. The problem here is very tricky, because tobacco advertising on TV is banned in many countries, and the colouring of cars in F1 leaves little doubt as to the brand of tobacco advertised. Carrie may have hit on something here, because computer generated advertising hoardings on a track may be permitted on a live feed into these countries, as are tobacco adverts painted on the cars in most F1 races. This gets around the banning of tobacco advertising in these countries. This is an awareness post - I have no solution at all. I can only say that kissing a girl (for me) or a boy for non smoking girls can be likened to licking the bottom of a stale ashtray smeared with ashes. Now if we can add spittle to the ashtray in the picture, and use this as a non-smoking add, it may do some good. I used to smoke two packets of cigarettes a day when I was studying, and I found a unique method of stopping smoking which is 100% effective. If anyone wants to know my procedure, post here, and I will follow up with a post to show you how.
On the other hand, if the moderator thinks I should not say anything, then I will keep my mouth shut!!
Old 8 Jan 2001, 00:52 (Ref:57244)   #4
stubert
Rookie

stubert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might be on to something with the computer generated adds. I know there were some during the Rose Bowl football game New Years day. That was the first time i have noticed them but had never looked for them before. Just what we need more adds.
Old 8 Jan 2001, 01:12 (Ref:57251)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Go for it, Bouncey!!

Just don't say anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to hear.

To the topic at hand, I have no comments other than I had heard that the technology was being developed to alllow the cars to have Tobacco Branding digitally applied for those markets where advertising cigs is legal. It might be possible for it to be in place for stationary billboards.
Old 8 Jan 2001, 01:37 (Ref:57260)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Come on Valve Bounce ...tell us we are dying to know.

as a smoker myself I may find your info usefull
Old 8 Jan 2001, 02:01 (Ref:57264)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
How to stop smoking

OK, but this does require will power. You start with a packet of non-filtered cigarettes, the strongest you can find, like Gitanes. The stronger and foul tasting, the better, and you must inhale deeply. (I used Templebars, which have gone off the market here years ago). You must keep the packet in you shirt or trousers pocket in between smokes, and you try to make the one packet last about three days. No smoking filtered cigarettes in between. You must smoke the entire packet, even if the cigarettes are all twisted and tobacco starts to go stale, and falls out of the end of the cigarette into your mouth. After the first packet taking three days, you start smoking a second packet of the same powerful cigarette, and this time the packet must be kept in your trousers pocket in between cigarettes. You must finish the entire packet before smoking the next packet. The longer it takes you to finish that packet the better because the cigarettes taste awful after the third day, as the tobacco starts to go mouldy and keeps falling into your mouth. I went from smoking two packets of Rothmans a day to two cigarettes a day using this method, although I did not totally give up smoking for another ten years. However, I stuck to my rule not to buy another packet till I finished the one that is open. I have proven to myself that I can even smoke now if someone offered me a cigarette, as I smoked two cigarettes three years ago after sailing when I was chatting at the bar with friends. I did not enjoy them, but I made myself smoke them right down to the filter before putting them out. I now hate the idea of smoking, and cannot stand the smell of cigarettes. Good luck to you, Marcus, and good sailing.
Old 8 Jan 2001, 14:22 (Ref:57348)   #8
GURRYP
Racer

GURRYP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to be boring, but they have experimented with "digital" hoardings for Bernies Digital TV station. I remember that the hoardings at the circuit are blank, the adverts then digitally added before broadcast. This enables Bernie to tailor the adverts to each country and sell the same space numerous times, making even more money. Cunning Eh.
Old 8 Jan 2001, 18:43 (Ref:57380)   #9
AL Racing
Racer

Well I'm positive that it isn't the digital ads, the only time I've seen this was at Jerez in '97 ( note I don't have digital coverage) and you could easily see that is was computer generated (don't remeber what they advertised though). My only theory about the recent GB "Marlboro F1" is because of the F1 , maybe Philip Morris use it to make us think of cigs by making a non-tobacco product named "Marlboro F1" that only exist in name? :confused:

Old 8 Jan 2001, 19:44 (Ref:57405)   #10
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This enables Bernie to tailor the adverts to each country and sell the same space numerous times, making even more money. Cunning Eh.
Crickey, with this sort of technology it will not be long before the race winners are tailor made as well.

Who just said that they are already ???????????

Simon
Old 8 Jan 2001, 22:43 (Ref:57480)   #11
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps this will clear it up.

Although countries like France have bans on alcohol and tobacco advertising, Britain and Germany do not. Specfic adverts for tobacco are banned from British television, but the broadcasting of logos, signs etc do not constitute a television advert as part of the ban.

Tobacco companies, however, have a voluntary ban in place, which mean that the teams do not display branding in those countries. This is why the non-tobacco liveries differ in France to elsewhere, as they can have nothing that is even similar to the logo in France, yet you can employ the logo with a different name (ie Buzzin and Hornets) at Silverstone.

However, as there is no statutory legislation governing this yet (that doesn't come until 2006), tobacco companies, such as Marlboro can still advertise at the circuit. Marlboro F1 is their compromise, but I think the only ad is the (admittedly huge) sign at the top of the Hangar Straight.

In America, the law bans tobacco ads being used more than once in the same sport. So, as Marlboro sponsors Penske in the Champ Cars, Ferrari could not use Marlboro logos at the US GP, whereas McLaren, Jordan, Prost etc were not affected. This creates a problem for Penske in the Indy 500, as they can't use Marlboro logos there!

However, those trackside ads are definitely not computer generated. I too recall the Jerez '97 experiment, mainly because one sign changed sponsors mid race, and it seemed to move about the screen quite a lot. A little more work was needed, methinks.

Incidentally, there was talk this year that the voluntary ban would be lifted, so branded cars could run at Silverstone.
Old 8 Jan 2001, 22:53 (Ref:57486)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
re: real or not, we'll have to ask Alesi if the Brazillian one last year that nearly bonked him on the noggin was digital or not....
Old 9 Jan 2001, 00:11 (Ref:57507)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Well, it does seem that no one has responded to my procedure for giving up smoking. I suppose it was hoping for too much for anyone to really want to give up burning up their hard earned cash into ash.
Anyway, back to the computer generated ads. I am half way through watching "Wag the Dog", and I know this is the film industry, but is there any way that virtual objects can be put onto anything in action, like the young girl running which then suddenly had a background imposed, followed by her running over a bridge, then carrying a white cat instead of a packet of potatoe chips. If this technology is there, we can have tobacco adverts imposed onto cars so that cars on the circuit would be non tobacco liveried, but will have tobacco livery by the time certain viewers from different countries watch the race.
I am not looking for opinions here, but for some real information from our IT techno experts on our forum. I know there were virtual ads during Aussi Rules Games here in melbourne, and that created a furore because the grounds at which thre game was held (MCG) did not reap any benefits from the adverts.
Old 9 Jan 2001, 01:30 (Ref:57525)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ive just reead your plan Valve Bounce...interesting I must say...im glad it worked for you and you managed to give up ..but I on the other hand would probably get used to the strong ones and then just keep buying them..I used to smoke strong ones all the time but have dropped down in strength quite dramatically of late and may even go lower ..but a good plan and if I ever get toally deperate to give up i may just use your plan.

CHEERS
Marcus
Old 9 Jan 2001, 05:18 (Ref:57544)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Marcus,
Try leaving the packet open for a few days until hte cigarettes are slightly mouldy and the tobacco starts to fall out the end - then start smoking it. I used to be very reliant on cigarettes to the extent that I used to smoke the cig so fast that it burnt sores on my lips. It as Trulli disgusting. Girls avoided me like the plague. ; You must give yourself some incentive - the money you don't burn can add up quickly and go towards a ski holiday at Merribel.
Old 9 Jan 2001, 08:14 (Ref:57553)   #16
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Digital technologies hardly may be used to build-up tobacco branding for TV-covering because the advertising legislation in many countries for TV is more stringent than for sport events. For example in Russia we can't advetise any tobacco brand on TV but there's not bans for football matches or racings.

But for video-records this can work as well as for Berney-TV (I suppose it's not covered by any Europian legislation ban).

Al-racing, had you bought a video-cassette or made the record by yourself?
Old 15 Jan 2001, 21:31 (Ref:58684)   #17
AL Racing
Racer

RussianFriend, yes it was from a recorded tape, I've been recording all the GP since Aus '96. I wish that I do that when I started watching F1, I would of made a great colletion.
Before '96 I would record the GP and then tape over it again for the next GP.
Old 16 Jan 2001, 03:01 (Ref:58756)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Marlboro 500 (Fontana, California) had Marlboro signs all over the track but none could be shown on television and the name could not be mentioned. I don't know how they took them out, but if I hadn't been there and seen them I would have never guessed they were there.

Smoking is not the worst habit a man can have; I'd rather he smoked than drank. But it still does make a girl look cheap.
Old 16 Jan 2001, 04:48 (Ref:58759)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Common!! Surely a couple of glasses of nice Australian wine a day can't be all that bad. I look forward to my unwooded Chardonay at the end of a warm day. Or if it's cool, a couple of glasses of Red wine, especially Cabernet Sauvignon from the Coonawarra district is great. Some would also like wines from the Hunter Valley, McLaren Vale, or Margaret River, and who is to argue?? It is all enjoyable, and kisses taste great afterwards. Try kissing someone who has just had a couple of cigarettes.... Who would possibly argue that wine is not good for the body, (and the soul??)
Old 16 Jan 2001, 08:40 (Ref:58777)   #20
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
Valve Bounce! Thanks for the excellent Australian Wines Guideness. Does the wine from the Mclaren Vale makes one drunk faster than the rest you had enumerated? If I earn enough money advertising the British-American Tobacco cigarettes and spend them to visit Australia I'll drink some.
Unfortunately russian men keep a date with a bottle of vodka. Believe me, if you are sober and trying to kiss a drunk man the feelings are disgusting.

Al Racing, I wish I had such a collection. 5 dollars per month is not a serious expense. Don't understand why I grudged it.
Old 16 Jan 2001, 11:45 (Ref:58798)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Sorry RF, but hte wines here are not like Vodka. We have the best wines in the world in Australia, and most people here drink wine for the excellent taste. Can't you get any Australian wines in Russia?
Old 16 Jan 2001, 13:25 (Ref:58808)   #22
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
Alas, NO! We drink Georgian wines. But now I know how to embarrass a wine boutiqe manager, just ask him if they have any Australian wine.
Old 16 Jan 2001, 14:35 (Ref:58817)   #23
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve,

I've sampled a pair of Australian wines, and they're really tasteful, though the Spanish wines are not worse.
Old 17 Jan 2001, 11:38 (Ref:58999)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I've had wine in Italy, France, Spain, U.S., China, Cyprus, Portugal, New Zealand, Iran and even Korea (where there are no vines). It is very difficult to beat the Australian wines. I think they are the best. For those who want to visit a site where I order my wines, just to get an idea of costs, may I suggest you check the following site (with the indulgence of Admin of course) : http://www.quinndirect.com.au/frameset.html
The prices are in Australian dollars - you will have to work out the exchange rate yourselves.
My dream is to , one day, set up a Premium Wine Shoppe in Seattle, selling Australian wines.
If I have offended Admin. by posting this, may I apologise in advance. Please feel free to delete any part of this post.