Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Nov 2004, 00:39 (Ref:1159602)   #1
sukkondat
Rookie

sukkondat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBR power for 888.

Subject to TEGA approval, 888 will use SBR powerplants next year. Wont Craig be happy
Old 21 Nov 2004, 00:39 (Ref:1159603)   #2
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBR / T8 engine deal..................................

The deal between T8 and SBR has been announced and just needs TEGA approval.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 21 Nov 2004, 00:49 (Ref:1159606)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Um, so what does this mean for Larko's boys?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Nov 2004, 00:52 (Ref:1159607)   #4
sukkondat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Um, so what does this mean for Larko's boys?
I think they had a 3 year agreement for engines. Looks like SBR want to be the Ford equivalent of HM-but legally

Last edited by sukkondat; 21 Nov 2004 at 00:54.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 00:54 (Ref:1159609)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But is it legal? Three teams is 6 cars... do they get grouped?

And it doesnt say much for Mr Little if he was to head the 888 engine program in 2005....
Old 21 Nov 2004, 00:59 (Ref:1159611)   #6
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.........and will they get current spec engines ???

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:04 (Ref:1159614)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So why doesnt SBR just build engines for the whole Ford field... except WPS, who arent driving Fords...
Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:06 (Ref:1159615)   #8
sukkondat
Rookie

Quote:
But is it legal? Three teams is 6 cars... do they get grouped?

And it doesnt say much for Mr Little if he was to head the 888 engine program in 2005....
It will be legal. They are 3 seperate teams working out of 3 seprate factories and employing their own staff-unlike HRT/KMR/PWR, whose majority of staff are employed by HM.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:09 (Ref:1159616)   #9
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote from the Sunday Mail....

"We have been working with SBR and Ford for some time and I am glad we have come to, what I am sure will be a win win situation for everyoneone involved"

"This deal has come with the encouragement of Ford and will benfit Tripple Eight, SBR and Larkham Motorsport's Orrcon Racing"....

end quote

Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:10 (Ref:1159617)   #10
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
....and this is a 4 year deal.

Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:15 (Ref:1159623)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Will Craig get the #1 car's Tassie engine?
Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1159625)   #12
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
THe first paragraph says it all.........

" Three-time series champion Graig Lowndes' gamble to join the Triple Eight Ford team next season is set to pay off after his new outfit signed an engine deal with the all-conquering Stone Brothers team this week"

Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:24 (Ref:1159630)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The LMS deal involved a complicated swap that got Mr Winterbottom his gig at that team for 2004/2005

I wonder what happened to get this across the line....

Actually the more curious question is why is it that SBR are the only people that seem to be able to get the Ford engines to work properly, with loads of power, good engine mapping, and marque-leading reliability...
Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:27 (Ref:1159631)   #14
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Can Lowndes/T8 wangle a deal for an SBR chassis for Mr Little to play with - now there's a thought?

edit - with a TEGA/Avesco board meeting this Wed/Thur will this engine deal get the nod then?

Last edited by retro; 21 Nov 2004 at 01:29.

Old 21 Nov 2004, 01:32 (Ref:1159634)   #15
sukkondat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by retro
THe first paragraph says it all.........

" Three-time series champion Graig Lowndes' gamble to join the Triple Eight Ford team next season is set to pay off after his new outfit signed an engine deal with the all-conquering Stone Brothers team this week"
One would think that this deal was on the cards prior to Craig signing with 888
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:08 (Ref:1159655)   #16
Bruce Moxon
Racer

Bruce Moxon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why should it need anyone's approval? All they are doing is buying a complete engine from a third-party supplier? All the teams buy gearboxes from Hollinger. All the teams use the same wheels. Lots of teams use Penske shock absorbers. Nobody had to approve that, did they?

Seems silly, is all. In NASCAR lots of Fords (about six or eight from memory) use Penske engines.

I think it makes sense, to a point.

Of course, cynical me says that there's nothing to stop SBR from selling 'customer spec' engines. I remember a Holden winning Bathurst when all the customer spec engines from the winning team failed. Allegedly.

Bruce Moxon
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:21 (Ref:1159660)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I would be interested in understanding what happened with Bargs' car in Tassie... it had a crook engine most of the weekend, and they took until after the warmup to replace it... is that a cost containment issue, or the supplier claiming nothing is wrong with the powerplant.

I presume also that SBR will now need a "trackside" service for their engines, like they do in Europe... with designated vegemites with their customer teams watching telemtry and data acquisition on their "babies"

The really cool part about this is that the engines supplied to all these teams will be the same model & spec, something you cant really say about the HMS supply chain.. or indeed Cousin Larry's mob...
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:33 (Ref:1159669)   #18
Dutchy
Rookie

Dutchy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how many teams does HMS supply with engines
HRT
Kmart
PWR
Tasman?
HYL
so why should SBR need approval from Tega. Oh yes the rules could be diffirent for Ford. Again.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:35 (Ref:1159670)   #19
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
I would be interested in understanding what happened with Bargs' car in Tassie... it had a crook engine most of the weekend, and they took until after the warmup to replace it... is that a cost containment issue, or the supplier claiming nothing is wrong with the powerplant.

I presume also that SBR will now need a "trackside" service for their engines, like they do in Europe... with designated vegemites with their customer teams watching telemtry and data acquisition on their "babies"

The really cool part about this is that the engines supplied to all these teams will be the same model & spec, something you cant really say about the HMS supply chain.. or indeed Cousin Larry's mob...
I presume this is an engine only (NO DATA) deal.

...and at the Tassie round there seemed to be a lot of dud motors??

Old 21 Nov 2004, 03:42 (Ref:1159686)   #20
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
another quote from the article with an interesting highlight...

"The sport of V8 Supercar racing is not getting any cheaper and it makes no sense for teams to be dupilicating very expensive developement programs across a whole range areas"

....end quote

Old 21 Nov 2004, 04:01 (Ref:1159688)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally posted by Dutchy
how many teams does HMS supply with engines
HRT
Kmart
PWR
Tasman?
HYL
so why should SBR need approval from Tega. Oh yes the rules could be diffirent for Ford. Again.
HMS supplies in 2004:
- HRT (Aurora)
- Kmart (VX)
- PWR (VX)
- Tasman (VX)

As of 2005, Tasman drops the HMS supply roster, presumably as there wont be enough Auroras to go round.

HYL did not get an HMS-prepped VX engine, their supply coming from JSR as a customer deal...
Old 21 Nov 2004, 05:03 (Ref:1159700)   #22
Rowdy
Racer

Australia
The Shire
Rowdy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I think they originally thoght it was a throttle sensor problem but when that sisn't fix it for the warm up theay changed engines. Are you sure they will be the same spec? I believe (could be wrong) that the LMS engines this year are last years spec?

Larko, We miss you.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 05:14 (Ref:1159706)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
They are one specification in development behind SBR, with a number of specific updates during the season. That's not unusual... and they are still better and more reliable than most in the field
Old 21 Nov 2004, 08:11 (Ref:1159752)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Pinched from RaceNews...

Stone Brothers Racing
Nov 21 2004
STONE BROTHERS RACING AND TRIPLE EIGHT SIGN ENGINE DEAL

V8 Supercar Champions Stone Brothers Racing is set to expand its engine supply business by establishing an alliance with the Brisbane-based Triple Eight Race Engineering operation for four years from 2005.

Earlier this year SBR signed a two-year deal to supply engines to Larkham Motor Sport and the result has seen LMS’s two-car Orrcon Racing team take the next leap in performance and results.

The new deal means that Craig Lowndes will make his debut in a Betta Electrical Falcon with SBR-supplied power plants in next year’s 13-round V8 Supercar Championship Series.

The program is designed to reduce the escalating expense of V8 Supercar racing caused through the seriously increasing costs associated with engine and car development, according to SBR co-owner, Ross Stone.

“A lot of thought has to be put into arrangements like this, but I think an expansion of our engine development business with Triple Eight makes sense,” said Stone.

“The sport is becoming more and more expensive and partnerships like this are going to be crucial to the future success of everyone involved.

“This deal has come with the encouragement of Ford and will benefit, Triple Eight, SBR and Larkham Motor Sport’s Orrcon Racing.”

Triple Eight Race Engineering’s Director/Manager, Roland Dane, believes the new arrangement will be a win-win for everyone involved.

“There is no doubt that SBR has been the benchmark in this series for the past couple of years and if we were ever going to come to an arrangement like this, then SBR were the obvious choice as partners,” said Dane.

“Like us, SBR is in the business of motor racing to win. Ross and Jimmy Stone have a tremendous reputation as fair and ethical competitors and that is also an obvious consideration when structuring such an arrangement.

“The sport of V8 Supercar racing is not getting any cheaper and it makes no sense for teams to be duplicating very expensive development programs across a whole range of areas.

“We have been working with SBR and Ford for sometime and I am glad we have come to, what I am sure will be win-win situation for everyone involved.”

The new arrangement is subject to approval by TEGA (TouringCar Entrants Group Australia) through the normal process.

Upon approval Team Betta Electrical will compete with SBR-prepared engines for the first time in the V8 Supercar support program at the Foster’s Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 4-6, 2005.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 08:44 (Ref:1159772)   #25
Flameho
Rookie

Flameho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR,
Per some of your points raised: Would you agree that SBR engines are so good since Ross and Jimmy have been building championship winning class engines for YEARS, can't beat experience eh?

And lets not even get started on the whole Holden powerplant and type argument again