Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Apr 2015, 14:21 (Ref:3525392)   #1
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Chinese Grand Prix 2015

found myself a bit surprised when my phone woke me up this morning with a notification saying there was a race on this weekend.

despite Ferrari's win last round there doesnt seem to be much enthusiasm about the third round. no doubt a combination of the location (15th time the race has been held here) and the knowledge that Merc, barring mistakes, will once again dominate the weekends proceedings.

here is a link for the drivers press conference (here). listened to a bit of it but doesnt seem like anything interested was said with the exception of some mumblings from Massa presumably about how nice his jacket looks.

an infographic from the BBC breaking down many non relevant details.

mildly interesting is that Alonso has completed every lap of all 11 Chinese GP's so far held. seeing if Mclaren can make some progress so Alonso can continue his finishing record here might be as good as it gets.

the most amusing thing i could find to share came naturally from the crew at sniff petrol with a funny take on Mclaren's form (here).

hopefully the weekend exceeds my low expectations!
Old 9 Apr 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3525440)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the introduction, chillibowl. I wouldn't say there isn't much enthusiasm, just a sense of waiting for some track action. There have been lots of interesting threads here recently.

Having said that, it''s not an exciting track in my opinion. I always seem to find it a less interesting version of Sepang. That doesn't mean it won't generate good battling, though. Do you really think Mercedes are guaranteed to dominate? Ferrari's Sepang result may be a bit of an anomaly but it's less of a foregone conclusion than we might have thought.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3525446)   #3
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing we can look forward to is having both Merc and Ferrari Both on the podium but in which cars not sure yet . Let the practice begin
Old 9 Apr 2015, 18:10 (Ref:3525462)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Do you really think Mercedes are guaranteed to dominate?
i hope i am wrong but i do. that said, there is a reason why they run the races before declaring a winner so who knows.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 19:03 (Ref:3525483)   #5
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks likely that Mercedes will dominate again. Ferrari sound a bit downbeat about their chances here. The sad thing is - it seems that Williams have gone a bit backwards compared to last year. I was hoping that they might take a few wins this year - but it looks likely that they won't.

I'm not a great fan of the circuit - but there have been some decent battles in the past - and one of the best races here was Jenson's win in the wet in 2010.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3525526)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Thanks for the introduction, chillibowl. I wouldn't say there isn't much enthusiasm, just a sense of waiting for some track action. There have been lots of interesting threads here recently.

Having said that, it''s not an exciting track in my opinion. I always seem to find it a less interesting version of Sepang. That doesn't mean it won't generate good battling, though. Do you really think Mercedes are guaranteed to dominate? Ferrari's Sepang result may be a bit of an anomaly but it's less of a foregone conclusion than we might have thought.
I get what you mean.

Smog, empty grandstands, and generally a drab, corporate looking presentation can do that to you.

Selby
Old 9 Apr 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3525527)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
It looks likely that Mercedes will dominate again. Ferrari sound a bit downbeat about their chances here. The sad thing is - it seems that Williams have gone a bit backwards compared to last year. I was hoping that they might take a few wins this year - but it looks likely that they won't.

I'm not a great fan of the circuit - but there have been some decent battles in the past - and one of the best races here was Jenson's win in the wet in 2010.
Oh God, I have forgotten about that. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

I can see Williams being ahead of Ferrari this time.

Selby
Old 10 Apr 2015, 08:58 (Ref:3525673)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32247300

Someone with a death wish or arrest wish has crossed the track.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 12:32 (Ref:3525741)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's early days yet, only the third GP of the season, so there's a long way to go.

Quote:
I can't say I'm a fan either, empty stands and camera angels that try to hide the fact and lots of smog. Personally, I think it's one race that should be off the calendar but it pays Bernie handsomely.

Can Ferrari maintain the momentum? That's what holds the interest for me.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 14:18 (Ref:3525777)   #10
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's one of these dismal venues that seems devoid of any atmosphere and character whatsoever. I wouldn't imagine going to any effort going to this GP unless I was living on top of the track itself or something.

It may very well be a good race. Probably inferior to Malaysia, superior to Australia. Can't wait to get out of these time zones as well.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 14:31 (Ref:3525781)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having gone to the 2005 race I think that you're all being unfair, I thought it was a cracking venue and getting two looks at the cars from the stand at the first corner was a bonus.

It might look dull on television but when you combine it with a 2 week holiday around the country it's worth going.

If you want dull try Abu Dhabi, now that is a boring trip.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 15:37 (Ref:3525799)   #12
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post

If you want dull try Abu Dhabi, now that is a boring trip.
Abu Dhabi - if they extended the main straight by another kilometer then the cars might be able to actually overtake there!

China is an expanding market - so no surprise that Bernie wants a Grand Prix there - just a shame that the track could be more exciting. Cars can race there - but it doesn't have the flow or challenges of say something like Sepang.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3525804)   #13
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Or Donington...
Old 10 Apr 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3525856)   #14
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, well, if practice gives any indication Ferrari seem to have found a way to wake Kimi up.......and Red Bull must have started using their sponsor's products......early indications that Merc may be heaver on their tyres again than Ferrari.....so we may have a race on our hands......

And Jenson in the top 10 in FP2
Old 10 Apr 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3525883)   #15
stripedcat
Veteran

It looks like Riccardio has suggested a more back to basics approach for this weekend. Lets hope that the Red Bull can be a bit more competitive - it seems that the Renault engine is a bit of a dog. What's going on there? The Mercedes is obviously the front runner(especially from the factory team - as that has a special layout) and the Ferrari one - this year at least - seems to have some grunt. Plus, we all want to see Danny's smile again.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 07:04 (Ref:3525961)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sparks (in the literal sense) from Kimi.

Martin has a theory that the Ferrari looks after its rear tyres well because it is a little on the understeery side.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 08:34 (Ref:3525971)   #17
marc sproule
Racer

marc sproule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
american feed tells us.....

that hamilton's seat has been getting hot.

seat was changed from fri to sat but still had same problem.

hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 11 Apr 2015, 09:39 (Ref:3525989)   #18
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
. Can't wait to get out of these time zones as well.
I'm loving the time zones.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 12:25 (Ref:3526049)   #19
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After watching that post quali interview,
Nico seems like a Mt. Vesuvius ready to blow.

I wont be surprised if he starts ramping up
the risk factor.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 15:13 (Ref:3526123)   #20
stripedcat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Sparks (in the literal sense) from Kimi.

Martin has a theory that the Ferrari looks after its rear tyres well because it is a little on the understeery side.
That might explain why Vettel has been faster than Kimi through the season so far. We know that Kimi does like the car very oversteery and darty(much like the Hamster and Schumi) - Vettel does as well - but according to Webber he like the rear of the car to be more stable and not move about as much.

The BBC feed said that the Ferrari wore its tyre less than the Mercedes. It might play into Ferrari's hands.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 22:29 (Ref:3526274)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It's certainly "woke up" the series now that Ferrari have got their act together, hopefully I can wake up in time and watch it live on my laptop on Anttena 3 in the morning, as long as I can fool it I'm still in Spain!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Apr 2015, 05:46 (Ref:3526341)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's a very sunny day at Shanghai, makes a change from all the smog. Lot's of people in the main stand, as for the other stands, we'll have to wait until the race gets started.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 06:06 (Ref:3526342)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A very clean start with Kimi's getting himself up to 4th.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 06:36 (Ref:3526343)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Horner shaking his head as Kyvat goes out as his Renault PU gives up in spectacular fashion. Dietrich Mateschitz, won't be too happy either.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 07:28 (Ref:3526350)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Some great racing between Button and Maldonado and it ends with Button and Maldonado coming together and Button damaging his front wing. Looks like Button overcooked it, what a shame.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 12 Apr 2015 at 07:33.