Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 8 Jun 2016, 08:33 (Ref:3648161)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rallycross At Silverstone?

Just spotted this Autosport article concerning the development of Silverstone circuit mentioned on another website:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124606

It's the fourth paragraph that really caught my eye:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport Article
"I'm looking to create an arena in and around Stowe, so we'll have grandstands all around Stowe, and then we can do things like Race of Champions, World Rallycross and music concerts," Allen told Autosport.
World Rallycross at Silverstone?
Old 8 Jun 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3648168)   #2
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want to lose Lydden but a Hockenheim style rallycross track at superstore would be great. Maybe for a GP event...
Old 8 Jun 2016, 10:47 (Ref:3648177)   #3
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long is Lydden's contract

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Jun 2016, 10:56 (Ref:3648180)   #4
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they add another worthless track like Mettet, Barcelona and other non-rallycross circuits to WRX it will lower my interest for WRX for sure. If it is something outside WRX than I could approve and hopefully it can become some good rallycross event.
Old 8 Jun 2016, 10:56 (Ref:3648181)   #5
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been waiting for somebody to post the link up - and for Chunder to comment.

Silverstone will surely have the money - and IMG will likely prefer Silverstone to Lydden - even though that is the 'home' of Rallycross...

I fully expect it to happen. IMG want image over substance.
Old 8 Jun 2016, 12:10 (Ref:3648193)   #6
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
I've been waiting for somebody to post the link up - and for Chunder to comment.
Sorry: I try not to encourage him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
I fully expect it to happen. IMG want image over substance.
I really hope that isn't the case. I can accept the addition of non-rallycross circuits to the calendar when purpose built circuits aren't available, but if they sacrifice a staple of the existing calendar (and the sport in general) for Silverstone I'll be very disappointed.
Old 8 Jun 2016, 12:32 (Ref:3648197)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They could always convert the old rally sprint if it's still there
Old 8 Jun 2016, 13:41 (Ref:3648222)   #8
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
Makes you wonder if Silverstone are looking at rallycross whether Brands Hatch are too. That would be a different story

Old 8 Jun 2016, 13:59 (Ref:3648230)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Oh yeah that would be great to see it back, I thought it was a shame they grassed over a lot of what was the Rallyx circuit, but shouldn't be too difficult to bring it back
Old 8 Jun 2016, 18:10 (Ref:3648266)   #10
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
They could always convert the old rally sprint if it's still there
That was redeveloped a few years back for a Porsche driving experience facility.
Old 8 Jun 2016, 18:14 (Ref:3648267)   #11
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
I think IMG need to maintain a balance of old and new

Old 8 Jun 2016, 18:44 (Ref:3648274)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
That was redeveloped a few years back for a Porsche driving experience facility.
Oh right, has the rallysprint track been flattened then? I noticed the new Porsche area, but it never clicked in my head that it was the old rally course...?
Old 8 Jun 2016, 19:12 (Ref:3648282)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seriously Hick, you want somehting like Hockenheim? surely not fella. Its a car park track like Turkey, Argentina and Franciacorta were.

Lydden is tired, that much is true.

Silverstone would be a better venue overall, but teams would battle it as it would cost more to get there from Europe on ferry (where all the teams come from in our supposed World championship)

Plus there is no structure there for rallycross. Silverstone are stone broke and have been for a while, I believe they are in the process of being sold so this is an attempt to try and interest buyers, and that means making as many events look possible as you can. WRX is growing and is hitting people as they are spending millions on marketing and social media so Silverstone marketing hvae seen this and offered a possible route, nothing more.

They already have the two biggest race meetings in Britain plus the bigest historic race meeting.

As for layout, Silversotne is dull, uninspiring, flat and expensive. So it would be perfect for what most IMG people think RX fans need.

It will never go to Brands Palmaer make smore than enough out of his stuff and wants to do his own things more like the American event. Plus there is nowhere it could run, but I can see Oulton being possible, there are off road sections there. Snetterton would be superb, easy access and a new layout crying out for something interesting.
Old 8 Jun 2016, 20:28 (Ref:3648313)   #14
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, Italy worked. Went there and it was good. My biggest problem with all these big circuits is how far you are from the circuit. Nothing can get close to Lydden for how near you get to the action. I hope we don't lose that.
Old 8 Jun 2016, 20:29 (Ref:3648315)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

Is the one at Mallory still there?
Old 8 Jun 2016, 22:06 (Ref:3648346)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the reasons are fairly obvious viewing wise.

IMG seemingly want to go to existing circuits, so that means building something on a large infield area.

Barcelona's track is inside their stadium section, as is Hockenheims, and in Mettet you are above some of the track and can't access all of it. Canada is similar in some ways, as were most of the GRC and Xgames tracks. It is THEIR way of presenting rallycross to you.

If you had a sort of stadium section at Silverstone a track there would work, but there really isnt one. Not on that you could fit a track into anyway.

Mallory are skint and wouldnt be able to afford the hosting rights, Lydden only can coz Pat is a founder member and is loaded!!
Old 8 Jun 2016, 22:08 (Ref:3648348)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
For me best possible venue is somewhere like Santa Pod, they embrace new motorsport, are great with marketing nationally and locally, central, can host far bigger events than rallycross ever will be and also are in with the same sort of diabetes sugar drinking crowds, drifting, freestyle mx and stunt riding monster trucks yawn that IMG seem to think we can't watch rallycross without
Old 8 Jun 2016, 23:20 (Ref:3648352)   #18
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Careful what we wish for here; if the WRX left Lydden then it would be the end of Lydden.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 05:36 (Ref:3648378)   #19
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
Careful what we wish for here; if the WRX left Lydden then it would be the end of Lydden.

Well, Pat Doran was part of the bunch of people who started the IMG/WRX collaboration....
Old 9 Jun 2016, 09:20 (Ref:3648415)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Agreed - and with no Lydden what future for Rallycross in the UK? We're not awash with circuits as it is. Pembrey, Blyton, Croft - does Knockhill still have the rallycross sections? (and is Knockhill viable anyway?)
Old 9 Jun 2016, 10:45 (Ref:3648427)   #21
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
It's certainly not what I'm wishing for. I've spent more time at Lydden than any other circuit in the UK and I'd be gutted to see it go.

Does anyone know what the result was of the latest planning permission submission made by Lydden last year? Lydden were asking for support for the application and the vast majority of comments on the Dover Council site seemed to be positive, so I hoped they might be successful.

I thought that dropping the bulk of drift events from the calendar might be a move to support the development of the track, but I've seen no more on the matter.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 17:29 (Ref:3648519)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
FIA Rallycross should visit more rallycross "parks" like Holjes, Hell, Estering, Nyrad, Kouvola.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 17:35 (Ref:3648520)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
FIA Rallycross should visit more rallycross "parks" like Holjes, Hell, Estering, Nyrad, Kouvola.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3648874)   #24
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Agreed - and with no Lydden what future for Rallycross in the UK? We're not awash with circuits as it is. Pembrey, Blyton, Croft - does Knockhill still have the rallycross sections? (and is Knockhill viable anyway?)
Knockhill still has a rallycross section and it was in fairly good condition last time we were there. The reason why it has been dropped is purely cost. The circuit hire costs increased and it became unviable to run a meeting there, as it the entry numbers were always lower there.
It is a shame because I recall one clubmans meeting where another event was being run for rallycars on the the hill and the other side of the circuit, keeping the hire cost down.

If Silverstone do build a rallycross section it would make sense for it to be a permanent venue which could be used by both the MSA and BTRDA organisers as well. The venue is plenty big enough to run a rallycross event in one area and another event on another part of the circuit too. Or maybe run a rallycross meeting at the same time as one of the other big events they have like Fordfair.

The loss of WRX would not necessarily spell the end for Lydden, there is a slowly growing base of new drivers in the sport, and former drivers are also being tempted back. If this keeps increasing then all the other meetings will more and more viable, and we may get back to the position of having more meetings with regional sub championships and circuit championships.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3699717)   #25
bruce.bamber
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yetminster
bruce.bamber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
Knockhill still has a rallycross section and it was in fairly good condition last time we were there. The reason why it has been dropped is purely cost. The circuit hire costs increased and it became unviable to run a meeting there, as it the entry numbers were always lower there.
It is a shame because I recall one clubmans meeting where another event was being run for rallycars on the the hill and the other side of the circuit, keeping the hire cost down.

If Silverstone do build a rallycross section it would make sense for it to be a permanent venue which could be used by both the MSA and BTRDA organisers as well. The venue is plenty big enough to run a rallycross event in one area and another event on another part of the circuit too. Or maybe run a rallycross meeting at the same time as one of the other big events they have like Fordfair.

The loss of WRX would not necessarily spell the end for Lydden, there is a slowly growing base of new drivers in the sport, and former drivers are also being tempted back. If this keeps increasing then all the other meetings will more and more viable, and we may get back to the position of having more meetings with regional sub championships and circuit championships.

It could ultimately be a good thing, on one hand the sport of WRX for those who can afford it at Silverstone once a year, and for the rest of us plain old fashioned rallycross in a strong championship or championships. I am old enough to remember when the BTRDA ran the first ever national championship in the UK and that was not a bad thing....................