Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2020, 06:33 (Ref:3976017)   #376
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
So...

Taking an arbitrary link point to the Vettel thread, rumours abound on Twitter/FB and in the Italian media right now that Sainz will be the new Ferrari driver in 2021.

Go on, who saw that coming?
Certainly not me. But it makes a lot of sense.
Old 14 May 2020, 10:38 (Ref:3976089)   #377
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52661201 Ricciardo to Macaroon, Sainz to Ferrari.
Old 14 May 2020, 10:40 (Ref:3976092)   #378
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52661201 Ricciardo to Macaroon, Sainz to Ferrari.
Indeedy 🍻
Old 14 May 2020, 11:07 (Ref:3976105)   #379
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just mentioned it on Radio 2. In the words of Ron Burgundy ‘boy that escalated quickly.’ Sainz can now go into the season, when it eventually starts completely relaxed knowing he has a seat with the most legendary name in the sport for 2021
Old 14 May 2020, 14:10 (Ref:3976155)   #380
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sainz' management are out of this world brilliant. he came off a couple of iffy years at red bull into a couple of iffy years at renault, then into a pretty good seat at mclaren and now he's in a ferrari. unreal. contrast that to hulkenberg and his lack of opportunities...
Old 14 May 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3976160)   #381
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
sainz' management are out of this world brilliant. he came off a couple of iffy years at red bull into a couple of iffy years at renault, then into a pretty good seat at mclaren and now he's in a ferrari. unreal. contrast that to hulkenberg and his lack of opportunities...
interesting comparison.

do you think his father had a hand in this?

the question is inspired by a debate several of my friends and i are currently having based on the Michael Jordan doc...typically one thinks of sporting parents as overbearing/loud but at the same time when you think of the greats across all sports, many of them have a very strong parental figure figuring prominently in their career's.

of course there are exceptions so its not a hard rule by any means but, nonetheless, imo there is a very strong trend.
Old 14 May 2020, 15:43 (Ref:3976185)   #382
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This has crossed my mind too, a bit. Not helped by just viewing his '5 best races' on the F1 ewechoob channel. Hardly a rich depth of performances to illustrate his ability. Think he blew a bit hot and cold at Enstone?

However his consistent pace and at times well timed opportunistic moves in the McLarem last year reaffirmed (to me at least) he is as good as the fanfare suggested 5 years ago.

Seems weird but i've been thinking he might end up at Ferrari one day but thought he would stay at McLaren for a good 5 or 6 seasons.
Old 14 May 2020, 16:06 (Ref:3976193)   #383
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What will be interesting will be to see how he gets on against young LeClerc, who presumably sees himself now (if he didn't already) as the number 1 driver at Ferrari. Could be fun....
Old 14 May 2020, 17:12 (Ref:3976205)   #384
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
interesting comparison.

do you think his father had a hand in this?

the question is inspired by a debate several of my friends and i are currently having based on the Michael Jordan doc...typically one thinks of sporting parents as overbearing/loud but at the same time when you think of the greats across all sports, many of them have a very strong parental figure figuring prominently in their career's.

of course there are exceptions so its not a hard rule by any means but, nonetheless, imo there is a very strong trend.
interestingly the internet suggests his manager is his cousin...

i think like many drivers, his family unit is strong and supportive but also exceptionally well connected. looking more broadly at motorsport, there's quite a few drivers i can think of with extraordinary families or parents. the best dynamics are those involving a two way feedback system - parent(s) who listen to their child and respond accordingly, and who don't try to fit motorsport into their world and mould the team.

you've made me wonder whether the most successful type of strong parent in motorsport is different to that of say, football or tennis. it's also made me consider whether max verstappen would have been as successful or a completely different person if his mother had been responsible for him at circuits rather than his father.
Old 14 May 2020, 18:58 (Ref:3976219)   #385
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
for individual sports, its often a parent who is your first coach and/or your family is your main support network. with team sports perhaps your team fills that role more. i would think motorsports is more like tennis or golf in that respect.

anyways, trying to keep this on topic, i remember reading that in addition to being friends with Jules, Leclerc was also managed by Jules' dad? they may even be related?
Old 14 May 2020, 19:14 (Ref:3976223)   #386
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Somebody certainly did a massive sales job on them.

I suspect he was a LOT cheaper than the main alternatives though as well.
Old 14 May 2020, 19:36 (Ref:3976228)   #387
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He’s not someone who would demand too much money, especially if it was going to Ferrari of all places. He’s already proved himself to be a safe pair of hands, so he will certainly help Ferrari in the constructors title
Old 14 May 2020, 20:30 (Ref:3976238)   #388
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
As said it will be interesting to see how the pairing at ferrari goes, i have not always seen leclerc in quite the same way as others and have a suspicion he might not be as dominant as some might think he will be
Old 15 May 2020, 02:38 (Ref:3976295)   #389
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
interestingly the internet suggests his manager is his cousin...
The internet and the words of Sainz himself on Netflix.
Old 15 May 2020, 05:02 (Ref:3976301)   #390
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i have not always seen leclerc in quite the same way as others and have a suspicion he might not be as dominant as some might think he will be
If Leclerc isn't all that special, then what does that say about Vettel!
Old 15 May 2020, 07:43 (Ref:3976316)   #391
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've just been reading that Ferrari are evaluating an involvement in Indy racing.Not on this occasion as a means of applying leverage to the FIA but as a way to use the resources that will not fit under the budget cap-whatever figure that might be.I hope somebody recognises the fact that with even greater resources than any of the other teams they have managed to achieve nothing like the results that those resources should have delivered.Spreading those resources more thinly wouldn't seem to be the path to greater success and it makes me wonder whether Carlos Sainz may come to regret adding the Ferrari name to his cv.It may turn out to be a lucrative couple of years before oblivion beckons .
Old 15 May 2020, 08:08 (Ref:3976318)   #392
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I've just been reading that Ferrari are evaluating an involvement in Indy racing.Not on this occasion as a means of applying leverage to the FIA but as a way to use the resources that will not fit under the budget cap-whatever figure that might be.I hope somebody recognises the fact that with even greater resources than any of the other teams they have managed to achieve nothing like the results that those resources should have delivered.Spreading those resources more thinly wouldn't seem to be the path to greater success and it makes me wonder whether Carlos Sainz may come to regret adding the Ferrari name to his cv.It may turn out to be a lucrative couple of years before oblivion beckons .
I hate to be "that guy" on the internet who claims to know everything (because I don't). But I know a guy involved with the Ferrari IndyCar rumours. He said it's complete nonsense. A non-story he said.
Old 15 May 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3976363)   #393
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have we gone back to 1986?

A shambolic Ferrari team struggling to find F1 success, falling out with its drivers and a mooted Indycar effort.

Just another fourteen years until they lift that elusive driver’s title again!
Old 15 May 2020, 10:46 (Ref:3976367)   #394
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
well, according to the internet, pretty much every team is shambolic at the moment so is it that ferrari are the most shambolic or are they vying with renault for that particular title?
Old 15 May 2020, 13:19 (Ref:3976406)   #395
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have given some deep and meaningful thought about why Ferrari have not won a championship for so long and Mercedes have. I reckon if Mercedes have a bad wekend and don't win they analyse the reason in the methodical way that Germans do and don't repeat the mistake. Ferrari read what they did wrong in the Italian newspapers and do that.
Old 15 May 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3976438)   #396
S griffin
Veteran

The main problem is that they haven’t been the same since the end of the Todt/Byrne/Brawn/Schumi era. That said, Domenicalli I feel did a quite good job with the team, but since he and LdM left, it’s gone back to how it was before 93, with the team being chaotic and unpredictable
Old 15 May 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3976446)   #397
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I hate to be "that guy" on the internet who claims to know everything (because I don't). But I know a guy involved with the Ferrari IndyCar rumours. He said it's complete nonsense. A non-story he said.
https://racer.com/2020/05/15/ferrari...otto-confirms/

So I actually am not pointing out you are wrong, because I think it may "mostly" be a non-story. That it might be part of negotiating technique with powers that be at F1. Frankly, I see there being close to zero chance IndyCar will introduce an additional chassis. They would be open to an engine.

Richard
Old 15 May 2020, 16:21 (Ref:3976464)   #398
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The main problem is that they haven’t been the same since the end of the Todt/Byrne/Brawn/Schumi era. That said, Domenicalli I feel did a quite good job with the team, but since he and LdM left, it’s gone back to how it was before 93, with the team being chaotic and unpredictable
People seemed to get it into their head that Domenicali (and Martin Whitmarsh at McLaren) was too nice to run a top team, basically meaning Ferrari and McLaren weren't engaged in endless warfare and scandal and draining the energy of sport and spectator alike.

But really both were taking over when cracks were showing in the teams. The heart was ripped out of Ferrari essentially and McLaren had been mismanaged for years.

Domenicali was basically tasked with continuing the domination of the early noughties with each and every key player in that success removed.

The replacements for these men were removed pretty swiftly, which says it all.
Old 15 May 2020, 16:26 (Ref:3976468)   #399
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
https://racer.com/2020/05/15/ferrari...otto-confirms/

So I actually am not pointing out you are wrong, because I think it may "mostly" be a non-story. That it might be part of negotiating technique with powers that be at F1. Frankly, I see there being close to zero chance IndyCar will introduce an additional chassis. They would be open to an engine.

Richard
I'm sure they have. Just like they investigated an LMP1 They'll have a working group looking at all rulesets. But they haven't actioned anything beyond "lets all have a coffee and talk about IndyCar" from what I was told.
Old 15 May 2020, 16:53 (Ref:3976477)   #400
S griffin
Veteran

It was the same story with the Ferrari indycar in the mid 80s. Used as a bargaining tool to get what they wanted in F1, IIRC V12 engines when turbos were to be banned