Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:04 (Ref:1010854)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dr Ullrich & Ekström talking about DTM, WRC & ETCC

Ullrich & Ekström interview
DTM 21/06/04

Dr Wolfgang Ullrich from Audi recently spoke about Mattias Ekström, ETCC and WRC in the Swedish magazine Auto Motor & Sport. Here follows some parts of that interview:

AMS: Are you surprised that Mattias is quickest? (of Biela, Pirro, etc.)

WU: "No, not at all. Mattias is that good. But we have to remember that some of our drivers that have driven the R8 (LeMans) in several years have to learn a completely new driving style in the DTM, a more aggressive style. And it takes time to adapt from a soft style."

AMS: Now you have gone with Mattias in the Skoda WRC car. Did it go fast enough for a WRC-contract?

WU: "It was a interesting experience. Mattias hasn't even been in the car before the test but drove like it was tuned completely for him. I must say that Ekström impressed me - once again."

AMS: Are you going to release Mattias to WRC, with Skoda?

WU: "(smiling) Well, we know that Mattias wants to drive WRC. But right now he has got something else to do. We'll have to see after this season, if it is possible to combine DTM with WRC. The DTM season is so short that there is room for him to drive a few WRC-rallies each year..." "...But I am positive for Mattias driving WRC-rally as well... (Wide smile), perhaps it is even on our long time schedule..."

AMS: Will Audi drive ETCC and a coming WTCC?

WU: "It is in our planning as an alternative, just as I suspect it is for most of the other manufacturers. But we haven't taken any decision yet and if we are going to compete in the ETCC next year we should take a decision very soon, it takes time to build a new organisation and new teams."

In another article in Auto Motor & Sport Mattias him self had a say about the WRC test and his wish to drive in the WRC. Here are some parts of it when he just had completed 30 laps on the Adria circuit with the Skoda Fabia WRC:

"Easy driven, good balance, a bit too soft suspension. And also I want more power in the engine," Ekström said with a smile. Ready for WRC now? "No, (laughter) not yet at least. I have a goal for this season and it hasn't changed after this test. I want to win the DTM before I go on. I wanted to win it last year already but it didn't go that way. This year I know it is doable; the possibilities are there now. It mostly depends on my self now," Ekström said.

Ekström continued and spoke some about the current season and why he is quicker than all of the other Audi drivers; here are some parts of it:

"It is no magic, I promise that. It is no secret setup. (all Audi drivers share all data) It is the thoroughness in all small details, possibly some small changes in the setup - but changes that suit only my driving style and not every one else."

"You ought to know how much work there is behind what we are experiencing now. Every one in the team has worked around the clock to get where we want. Nothing is free, that's for sure."

"I'm not specially treated (within the team). For sure I get more attention now compared to when I was new in the team. But the others get almost the same recourses as I do."

If you don't keep an eye on everything you're not in the game. It is always on. And I want to win the DTM.

Source: Auto Motor & Sport (www.automotorsport.se)

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se
Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1010871)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting that Audi would consider the ETCC as an alternative to the DTM.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 16:37 (Ref:1010996)   #3
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
for german manufacturers . it is an alternative .. for Touring cars . i can;t see them joining BTCC first

Ciao Marco
Old 23 Jun 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1013416)   #4
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don´t see Audi in ETCC with SEAT there, or at least isn´t a logical move for VAG.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1013440)   #5
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, what about Bentley and Audi in LeMans?
Old 23 Jun 2004, 15:18 (Ref:1013462)   #6
E46
Veteran

Spain
VAG had interest to improve Bentley image (or to do it more popular), but I doubt if Audi needs to do the same. In my opinion those are two different cases.

Last edited by E46; 23 Jun 2004 at 15:19.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 15:19 (Ref:1013463)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

It would be unusual for two of the major VAG brands to be in direct competition - although both SEAT and Skoda were in WRC for a few years.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1013682)   #8
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Well, as you your self point out; competition within VAG is no unusual thing.

SEAT vs Skoda in WRC.
Audi vs Bentley in LeMans.
Audi vs SEAT in STCC.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:26 (Ref:1013824)   #9
E46
Veteran

Spain
Bentley/Audi case I explained it already why VAG did it. Audi vs Seat in STCC? national championships are different, in a big championship (STCC is a fantastic championship yes, but one national) is very difficult that two manufacturers of the same group compete one against another one. Surely PSA with Citroen/Peugeot is the exception.
Seat/Skoda were short time together in WRC, two years in 2 litres championship but not in WRC.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:44 (Ref:1013843)   #10
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think they were also 1-2 years at WRC level . not only F2
but everywhere outside DTM they will get another VAG . in BTCC there is also Seat ..

Ciao Marco
Old 23 Jun 2004, 23:00 (Ref:1013993)   #11
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Well, we'll have to wait and see..
Old 23 Jun 2004, 23:33 (Ref:1014020)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Things will become clear in the coming months
Old 24 Jun 2004, 06:29 (Ref:1014176)   #13
E46
Veteran

Spain
I would like to see new manufacturers as Nissan/Renault.