Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Feb 2000, 17:22 (Ref:5011)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul Gentilozzi of rocketsports Racing has released news that they will campaign a Jaguar XKR in the 2000 Trans Am series. Below is the image file they of the car and sponsorship package. Very cool.

Old 2 Feb 2000, 17:44 (Ref:5012)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Another one on my list of must haves.
Old 3 Feb 2000, 03:23 (Ref:5013)   #3
JUDGE
Rookie

JUDGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that is sexy!!!!!!
KC do you have the teams URL so we can follow them and also can we get any races on TV here in the UK
Old 3 Feb 2000, 13:18 (Ref:5014)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly. The site is... http://www.rocketsportsracing.com
Old 3 Feb 2000, 13:36 (Ref:5015)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

A good clocking car to be sure, but am I correct in thinking that Trans-Am cars are just spaceframe chassis with production car 'look-a-like' bodywork?

I looked at the weblink posted above, and in the car specification sections there was talk of a Chevy engine (ye gads!)...

Now if someone made a proper XKR GT2 racer with a proper Jaguar supercharger V8 (hell, in production form the engine chucks out 450 horses) then I'd be over-the-moon whereas this 'Jagwar' leaves me sick-as-a-parrot.
Old 3 Feb 2000, 13:53 (Ref:5016)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the car does look very good..and the team is second to none..I have been fortunate to catch the last 2 years of trans am and 99 Gentilozzi was unstopable..so I guess he is looking for a new challenge and he may just have it
Old 3 Feb 2000, 20:03 (Ref:5017)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
The SCCA Trans Am is one of the cheapest forms of road racing available in the US short of production car racing. The cars are tube framed silhouettes of the production model. Fenders and ground effect skirts are allowed and made from light weight fiberglass or kevlar. The roof must be from the production vehicle. I would imagine that Gentilozzi will use some sort of Jaguar/Ford powerplant to meet the rules. He would not be allowed to run a Chevy Can Am V8 in a Jaguar. If Gentilozzi wins the championship he will become the first to do so in consecutive years with a different manufacturer. He won two years ago in a Mustang Cobra and last year in a Chevy Corvette.
The cars are pretty awesome to see. I was at the '96 Dallas Grand Prix and saw these machines up close. They use their hard acceleration more than pure top speed to get around the normally short tracks they run. The cars are very wide, have a huge amount of traction from very wide tires and have little suspension travel. The overrun from the engine created huge fireballs fromt he exhaust when cornering.
The Trans Am is the oldest form of road racing in the US. Many excellent drivers came through the Trans Am during its golden years in the early 70s. Roger Penske, Mark Donahue, Dan Gurney, Carroll Shelby, Jim Hall, and Parnelli Jones just to name a few. They will be touring with the ALMS for the domestic rounds this year.
Old 8 Feb 2000, 18:58 (Ref:5018)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Finally, a Trans Am challenger that looks like it road car parent.
Maybe this will break the Camaro/Mustang monopoly.
It sure looks good.