Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 20 Feb 2007, 02:32 (Ref:1846026)   #1
Eurosnob
Rookie

Eurosnob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"...Juan Montoya, the Colombian who has dominated Formula 1..."

This quote is from the following article by Michael Yaki who is a member of the United States Commission on Civil Rights writing on NASCAR.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/17/opinion/17yaki.html

It's always interesting to get other peoples opinions on things!

E.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 02:48 (Ref:1846030)   #2
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Casual race fans in American only remember JPM's domination of CART. That is likely the source of the confusion. All in all, an excellent article that is very damning toward the significant, although definately minority, racist element in the NASCAR fan base.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 20 Feb 2007, 05:03 (Ref:1846078)   #3
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall Montoya winning the Magny Cours by just about lapping the field. That seems like dominating F1 to me.

Of course Williams had a massive Michelin derived specialty advantage at the time, but doesn't stop discredit of dominant Alonso or Schumacher victories?
Old 20 Feb 2007, 08:35 (Ref:1846151)   #4
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
erm, montoya dominating f1? i dont think so. a few race wins, solid drives, and a few pretty stupid mistakes, i dont call domincating. i woiuld say for examples of dominating are the eras of Senna, Schumacher and to this current day Alonso.

whoever this guy is really needs to look back at what hes just said, and shoot himself for it
Old 20 Feb 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1846262)   #5
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran20
erm, montoya dominating f1? i dont think so. a few race wins, solid drives, and a few pretty stupid mistakes, i dont call domincating. i woiuld say for examples of dominating are the eras of Senna, Schumacher and to this current day Alonso.

whoever this guy is really needs to look back at what hes just said, and shoot himself for it

Not really. He is a civil rights Lawyer and Commissioner who wrote an article on the racist tendencies within a sport. His comment about Montoya was irrelevant to the article and in context it doesn't matter whether it's accurate or not. At least he knows Montoya was in F1!
Old 20 Feb 2007, 09:11 (Ref:1846194)   #6
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebberForWDC
I recall Montoya winning the Magny Cours by just about lapping the field. That seems like dominating F1 to me.
If that's what you want to believe. It was Hockenheim 2003. Raikkonen, Barrichello and Ralf crashed at the start and Schumacher got a puncture, which contributed to that margin. But if he dominated F1, why did he end up with a paltry 7 wins? That's the same number that Alonso won last season alone. Hardly dominating is it? Montoya was probably the biggest letdown of this decade so far in F1. bags of talent, but not the right mentality or attitude to succeed.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 09:41 (Ref:1846226)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Juan who?
Old 20 Feb 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1846275)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He dominated all the other Colombians!
Old 20 Feb 2007, 10:53 (Ref:1846297)   #9
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurosnob
This quote is from the following article by Michael Yaki who is a member of the United States Commission on Civil Rights writing on NASCAR.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/17/opinion/17yaki.html

It's always interesting to get other peoples opinions on things!

E.
I'm kinda surprised you start a thread about that little sentence out of that article. I find the real subject of that article a lot more shocking. I knew a lot of the American Nascar fans are against Toyota competing in the series, but the situation is a lot worse than I thought.

I dont think you can 'blaim' Mr. Yaki for that sentence regarding Montoya. As you say in your own post, he is a member of the United States Commission on Civil Right, clearly not a motorsports expert!
Old 21 Feb 2007, 01:46 (Ref:1846905)   #10
Eurosnob
Rookie

Eurosnob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
I'm kinda surprised you start a thread about that little sentence out of that article. I find the real subject of that article a lot more shocking.
I figured it was the quote that had the best eye-gab and wtf? factor to it.

E.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 17:01 (Ref:1847409)   #11
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the article was not shocking
the article was not accurate
the article was written for an readers that, for the most part,not only dont follow nascar, dont even drive.

the article was written by someone with a vague government title. probably a "communications officer".

the article is disturbing in that, maybe fascists like mr (im a big fan) yaki, are getting ready to run one of their shakedown scams on nascar.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 11:07 (Ref:1846307)   #12
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its just to make him and NASCAR look good...how many people that will read it will either care, or know...
So who really gives a stuff?
Old 20 Feb 2007, 11:20 (Ref:1846315)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya never dominated F1. All I remember is he won a couple of races due to circumstances or whatever....
The main thing I remember about him is his clumsy driving which cost him many results and taking out Barrichello ending his title chances and then all his fans blaming the FIA. They had a job to do, and if he made advantage by contact they shouldn't bend the rules for anyone.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1846349)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One thing for sure, he is the best colombian driver F1 has ever had, the most successful so far. Nothing more.

But that's the "american way", they said NASCAR is a global superbrand now, but many of their own think it's a "south thing". But as an old american friend of mine once said, "Everything in USA is 'the biggest of the world', only the rest of world don't know that."
Old 20 Feb 2007, 12:12 (Ref:1846350)   #15
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he meant to say that Montoya was a very signifigant figure in Formula 1. He ws outspoken and enjoyed a reasonable amount of success. I feel the comments in here reflect a tabloid culture of taking everything out of context and sensationalising it!

You've little to be worrying about!
Old 20 Feb 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1846360)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have nothing to worry about, specially about John Paul Montoya.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 15:00 (Ref:1846476)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Another thread just to bash JPM
Old 20 Feb 2007, 15:37 (Ref:1846497)   #18
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Nascar fan base has actually welcomed Montoya to Nascar. He is an excellent driver and will only make Nascar more interesting to watch. There will always be some fans that will be against his entry, hell, there are some fans that hate Dale Jr and many fans don't like Jeff Gordon.

Same with Toyota. All in all I believe the fans are happy to see another manufacturer in Nascar. I wouldn't read too much into what Jack Roush is saying. He is always posturing himself for any advantage he can get. The roots of nascar will always be there. The entry of Montoya or Toyota do not change that. The sport is growing and is the biggest sport in the U.S., next to the NFL. I don't think there is any doubt that the goal is to make Nascar interesting to other Countries. If you watched the race at Daytona on Sunday you will understand why it is popular. You just will not see many races trhat are as exciting at the finish as it was.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1846484)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually the article is thought provoking and this thread probably should be in NASCAR being as it is about er, NASCAR.

But I don't think even you could say he dominated F1 Mr V. Oh, wait a minute. You probably would.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 15:28 (Ref:1846492)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Actually the article is thought provoking and this thread probably should be in NASCAR being as it is about er, NASCAR.
Totally agree. With the exception of that one misleading comment about JPM, the main thrust of this piece is very disturbing and worthy of discussion in the NASCAR forum.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1846527)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
See the mobs take an innaccurate comment far too seriously.

It is a good article actually and very sobering in some ways. Of course, the localised element of NASCAR makes it difficult for a tiny minority of its similarly (largely) localised fanbase to accept "outsiders".

Anyhow, this can be moved to the NASCAR forum.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 17:25 (Ref:1846594)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Ooops, warped... I'm in uncharted waters Yeah there was once a JPM there, but hardly a domination !
Old 21 Feb 2007, 00:04 (Ref:1846873)   #23
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He dominated our minds and our hearts...

Tags
jpm