Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Dec 2016, 16:33 (Ref:3693348)   #1351
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
In 2016, Paul Ricard hosted WTCC, Blancpain 1000km, International GT Open, Formula V8 3.5, 24H Series, European Le Mans Series, Classic Endurance Racing, French circuit racing, French historics, VdeV and French club racing.

I don't think that any got proper crowds.
Old 3 Dec 2016, 20:15 (Ref:3693388)   #1352
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have been looking at Paul Ricard on our old friend Google maps 43.251698,5.793357. It would appear to be very limited in its capacity to host a major crowd as in 100,000 for a race day crowd. Based on what was there in July 2013 when Google visited there are seating facilities for about 4 to 5 thousand people.
The catch fencing that is essential for spectator areas starts on the exit of Signes and finishes at the bridge over the track at pit exit. Car parking also appears to be very limited as inside the circuit will probably be taken up by Bernie's circus (and maybe more) There is then quite limited space outside the circuit unless they can use the air field.
As for access I don't know how you would get 50,000 cars in there in a two or three hour period, as there are only 2 or 3 two lane roads into it.

I think Bernie will need to put his hand is his pocket if he wants the French GP to be a proper event.
Old 3 Dec 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3693395)   #1353
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I have been looking at Paul Ricard on our old friend Google maps 43.251698,5.793357. It would appear to be very limited in its capacity to host a major crowd as in 100,000 for a race day crowd. Based on what was there in July 2013 when Google visited there are seating facilities for about 4 to 5 thousand people.
The catch fencing that is essential for spectator areas starts on the exit of Signes and finishes at the bridge over the track at pit exit. Car parking also appears to be very limited as inside the circuit will probably be taken up by Bernie's circus (and maybe more) There is then quite limited space outside the circuit unless they can use the air field.
As for access I don't know how you would get 50,000 cars in there in a two or three hour period, as there are only 2 or 3 two lane roads into it.

I think Bernie will need to put his hand is his pocket if he wants the French GP to be a proper event.
Bernie having to upgrade his own circuit. That I would like to see.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 09:44 (Ref:3693508)   #1354
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besides it being in the middle of nowhere, I never understood everyone's issue with Magny-Cours? Great little track.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 10:29 (Ref:3693514)   #1355
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Besides it being in the middle of nowhere, I never understood everyone's issue with Magny-Cours? Great little track.
Simple to answer. Money, or rather the lack of money to pay the sanctioning fee to FOM. Lack of external facilities also contributed, I believe, with it being a little difficult to accommodate all the F1 personnel in the locality.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 10:45 (Ref:3693519)   #1356
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Take a look at all the infrastructure around Magny Cours (Google maps 46.863929, 3.162619) compared to that at Paul Ricard. Although Magny Cours might be a bit limited with nearby hotels.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 20:16 (Ref:3693974)   #1357
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
also a fan of Magny-Cours but its official now for the French GP at Paul Ricard in 2018.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fr...firmed-857043/

article says they had 70K last year for Bol D’Or and hope to have a plan for more for the 2018 F1 race.

only a handful of races get over 100K so 70Kplus is a pretty respectable number to aim for (and build on) imo.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 23:24 (Ref:3694002)   #1358
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
been there 5 or 6 times for racing, testing, wec testing, etc etc. also a reasonably local (part time) resident so our region will be paying for this...

i can't imagine where they'd put 50k spectators. call me cynical but that bol d'or attendance smells fishy on a world series by renault scale. they used to host easily that in genuine numbers back in the days of the old circuit but they also had much more space to put them in. unlike the red bull ring, the paul ricard httt was designed and built to be a test track - clues in the name - so whilst the garages are fantastic, the media room is small, like, croft small. there's decent enough vip facilities, and there's space on the pit roof to host more like at spa. again, where the red bull ring was built and modified (and over this winter, extended) as a race circuit with loads of spectator areas thanks to the natural landscape, ricard is on a flat bit of land with the airfield (which is indeed closed and used for parking on big days). they flattened the spectator areas because you don't need them at a test track do you?

getting all the freight there will be fun too

magny cours is a decent enough circuit, they finished the bypass and dualling just in time to lose the gp. iirc it's no more difficult to house the teams than spa, where you get teams scattered around the b&bs. and the campsite was EXCELLENT fun. but the area isn't particularly well off and it's generally damp there, so there was no hope of making it match up to the southern climate and scenery...

edit: just noticed they want a summer date. well, in july and august you already have to empty your wallet round there thanks to the resurgence of st tropez as a popular place for the nouveau riche kids to go and throw champagne at each other and pose. on the plus side the parisiens (and russians) will all be down there already so they'll have a captive audience.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 06:40 (Ref:3694086)   #1359
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
As bella says, stunning part of the world, and has been hosting a major Historic race meeting for the last few years. There were a good number of spectators this year (think entry was free), hence it took a long time to get back to a major road for the journey home! That could be a problem....

And it can rain! in October 2015 our racing was abandoned due to the storm that hit the S of France that weekend. This year was cold but dry, other visits have been scorchio!

Doubt a problem for F1, but the pit garage fees are biggest of any circuit I've been to. Does BE still own the place? I was told that it had changed hands, but have seen no evidence to back that up....
Old 6 Dec 2016, 07:32 (Ref:3694096)   #1360
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Take a look at all the infrastructure around Magny Cours (Google maps 46.863929, 3.162619) compared to that at Paul Ricard. Although Magny Cours might be a bit limited with nearby hotels.
That is the biggest issue with Magny-Cours, lack of hotel accommodation. Le Castellet is better served, but does have the problem of the (two) roads to the circuit from the coast being single carriageway, narrow, twisty, through villages- and up the side of (well it feels like) a mountain!
Old 6 Dec 2016, 12:59 (Ref:3694156)   #1361
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Marseille hotels are only 50k (30 miles) away..
Old 6 Dec 2016, 13:07 (Ref:3694160)   #1362
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
that does involve staying in marseille though
Old 6 Dec 2016, 13:47 (Ref:3694169)   #1363
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Bit like Stevenage?
Old 6 Dec 2016, 13:55 (Ref:3694171)   #1364
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
but with a slightly better climate
Old 6 Dec 2016, 14:22 (Ref:3694185)   #1365
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Bit like Stevenage?
There is nothing like Stevenage!
Old 6 Dec 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3694196)   #1366
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I've never been there, however my impression of it from TV and other media (simulators etc) is that its a rather flat and featureless place, devoid of trees / undulations and other things which add character to a race track. Its certainly no Cadwell Park
Old 6 Dec 2016, 15:17 (Ref:3694198)   #1367
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i've been a few times - it's very reminiscent of the flatter areas of england, certainly no worse than silverstone but nevers is a bit... well, like you say, it's no cadwell and it's definitely no bandol
Old 7 Dec 2016, 08:01 (Ref:3694408)   #1368
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we've got a bit of rose tints going on. Magny-Cours was a fine enough circuit to look at, but even in the 90s and 2000s the racing was poor. Nobody could overtake. And then they hacked up the fun last complex to try and give more overtaking, and they ended up with no more overtaking and losing a nice section of the track.

Exactly the same as what Barcelona did. Hack up a couple of good corners and not get any further forward.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 08:43 (Ref:3694426)   #1369
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I think we've got a bit of rose tints going on. Magny-Cours was a fine enough circuit to look at, but even in the 90s and 2000s the racing was poor. Nobody could overtake. And then they hacked up the fun last complex to try and give more overtaking, and they ended up with no more overtaking and losing a nice section of the track.

Exactly the same as what Barcelona did. Hack up a couple of good corners and not get any further forward.
I seem to remember lots of action at the hairpin as drivers tried to overtake and often succeeded.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 09:41 (Ref:3694440)   #1370
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is LeMans ever an option for the F1 circus in France? Or is the prestige of the 24h enough that another big event is a no no?
Old 7 Dec 2016, 11:15 (Ref:3694467)   #1371
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Is LeMans ever an option for the F1 circus in France? Or is the prestige of the 24h enough that another big event is a no no?
I would have thought that the full circuit (which includes a lot of real roads) would be too long for a GP, and that the Bugatti Circuit would be considered too 'Mickey Mouse'.
However, It'd be great to see a Grand Prix held on the full circuit...
Old 7 Dec 2016, 12:52 (Ref:3694494)   #1372
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The ACO will neve allow the full circuit to be used for a race other than the 24. The Bugatti track might work but there are better options in France, including Paul Ricard.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 13:08 (Ref:3694499)   #1373
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
The ACO will neve allow the full circuit to be used for a race other than the 24. The Bugatti track might work but there are better options in France, including Paul Ricard.
I think the very nature of the full circuit would be prohibitive. It will never happen.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3694504)   #1374
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Both Le Mans circuits are Grade 2, not Grade 1, so cannot host F1 in their current configurations
Old 7 Dec 2016, 13:39 (Ref:3694507)   #1375
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO rejected the French GP months ago.

Quote:
“I think it would not bring anything” Fillon said as he explained the decision to turn down the FIA proposal. “We would need to invest 17 or 18 Million euros and finance it via the ticket booths exclusively, At best, we would be breaking even on such an event.”
Source