Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 May 2000, 12:32 (Ref:2637)   #1
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's something I pulled off the Wheels website - it's something we've all covered before, but...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The FIA is reportedly considering a proposal for new global touring car regulations which are remarkably close to those suggested by Wheels back in 1997.

A well placed source said regulations stipulating BMW 5-series sized vehicles powered by three litre engines were discussed in Paris in late April.

In our November 97 issue Wheels proposed a World Touring Car series for similar sized vehicles, arguing such cars - 5-series, E-class Benz, Commodore, Falcon, S-Type Jaguar, etc - were sold globally and could be engineered using a high degree of common components in terms of suspensions, transmissions and brakes to keep costs down.

Main difference was we proposed using 4.0 or 4.5 litre V8 engines, as these were commonly available and could deliver 500bhp with ease.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whaddya think?
Old 9 May 2000, 13:13 (Ref:2638)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've always thought that some type of European/Global Touring Car series would be a good route to pursue.

I see the advantages as.

1. Budgets can come from a manufacturers european budgets - therefore better value.
(Incidentally The Nissan BTCC budget was made up of over 60% of Nissan Europe money)

2. More makes and models are available throughout europe than recent years.

3. Manufacturers are into designing 'european' cars as opposed to models designed for specific marketplaces.

4. Would attract different crowds in each country.

5. Common components looks a good idea to me, things like gearboxes, wheels,etc..

Old 10 May 2000, 07:11 (Ref:2639)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think it would get manufacturer support somehow.... The reason for big companies to go racing is to sell more cars on the Monday... which the old BTCC fitted the bill perfectly, ie you could see your Mondeo win a race (rarely) and then drive yours to work..... etc..

The cars listed are the top end of the market and expensive (very expensive in the UK!!), and not for the general market (ie me or you).. Therefore it's not worth the companies bunging loads of money at it for little or no perceived return..
Old 10 May 2000, 08:11 (Ref:2640)   #4
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
Green_man4421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good theroy, Could be good for world cupz and that

but each country changing to fit the formula I don't think fans would want to comprimise their current series for another diffrent one.
Old 12 May 2000, 17:13 (Ref:2641)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tried suggesting to our country's (NA) top touring car organization (World Challenge) about joining a FIA governed set of TC rules and they are adamantly against it. I guess they feel that would take all their power away? I disagree with that statement but that's the NA opinion. So I guess we're out. I guess the problem is the same with all the other organizations? UK, South Africa, NZ, Germany and Belgium all have their own TC series and now they don't want to give up their control?
Old 12 May 2000, 17:31 (Ref:2642)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In some ways I don't blame any of the TC racing formats not wanting to get involved with the FIA because they seem to always cut the throat of any series that might be suspected of being 1/2 as popular as F1. DTM/ITC for example.
Old 16 May 2000, 07:33 (Ref:2643)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly the same thing happened to the 1987 WTCC.
Old 21 May 2000, 23:27 (Ref:2644)   #8
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and with the change of engine regs in World Sportscars in 1991.