Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:17 (Ref:1980643)   #126
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Great summary, Spritle!

I mean, this is absolutely hilarious! Why?

1) The last two seasons I have been treated to missives on why FA was the true sporting heir to the WDC mantle that had been held by "the Hun" as no small few of you referred to MS.

2) McLaren has been held up as the Camelot of F1. I suspect that deep in the bowels of the "Brand Center" as they call their paddock HQ, there is a pond with the Lady of the Lake, brandishing the Holy Pyrometer, Excalibur.

3) FA joining McLaren was described in rapturous terms with heavy emphasis on how "sporting" everyone was.

4) Then Lewis the Briton appeared on the scene and, no offense, but the hero-worship frenzy began apace.

5) FA is now "scum" and "unworthy" and (I like this one): a "hairball" - whilst poor Lewis soldiers on, slaying the Dragon of unworthy foreigners holding the WDC. Yes, finally Glory and Honour will be restored! We pause and say a prayer for the soul of Jenson Button, former Next Great British Champion.

6) No one thought it was unfair that FA would get to set up his car and then have his setup transferred to Lewis's car. I mean, why should Lewis have to do any such thing, right?

7) So today when The Team held FA in the pits, many posters here are jumping all over FA for his "behaviour." So he was in the car AND holding the lollipop all at the same time? He is more brilliant than I thought!

8) Y'all wanted a fight for the WDC? Well kids, now you've got one!

9) Now you want FA penalized for holding Lewis up in the pits. So I guess now everytime a team stacks the pits they should be penalized? When this happened to Ferrari earlier this season no one seemed to notice that it was unfair...

Please, keep the posts coming!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 4 Aug 2007 at 15:21.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:19 (Ref:1980645)   #127
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find an on track battle much more exciting than that nonsense what just happened. That's as good as admission of defeat from Alonso, to me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Much kudos for James Allen for his instructions to Ted Kravitz - "Go on Ted, go on, stick the mic in there, go on, I would...get in there!"
Funnier than the incident itself. Almost sounded like someone egging their mate on in a fight.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:19 (Ref:1980646)   #128
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So if Alonso is penalised, what rule will he have broken, something to do with 'deliberate' blocking?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:20 (Ref:1980648)   #129
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very well said John, I couldn't agree more. Although it seems any chance of a battle tommorow will come from Alonso charging though the field if the FIA killjoys have thier way...
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1980650)   #130
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe he loves driving in Hungary so much, he tries to get penalties here so that he can work his way back to 1st place
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:24 (Ref:1980652)   #131
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even if Alonso waited for 10 seconds (which seems like quite a high estimate), Lewis would still have been marginal to get to the startline in time - he missed it by 4 seconds. I think the team's planning was wrong, without enough leeway given.

Above all though, Fernando was probably unsporting and cunning. It's surprising that Senna or Schumacher never stooped to this trick. It makes him look bad, and certainly gives Lewis the moral high ground.

Then again, Lewis must be tempted to take Alonso off deliberately tomorrow, with Massa so far down the grid and Kimi so many points behind. If the championship comes down to the two of them, Lewis may feel completely justified in causing a deliberate collision, and I'm sure The Sun and James Allen and the like will egg him on.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:25 (Ref:1980653)   #132
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you, Down F0rce!

Well, if they penalize FA, then they need to penalize BMW as Heidfeld held up Kubica...

At this rate, AD should be on pole unless they penalize him for going faster than Taku...

Moral high ground? In a sport where people are spending hundreds of millions of Pounds per year? If "moral" behaviour were the standard, Billy Graham would be a Team Principle with the Dalai Lama as Technical Director...

Last edited by JohnSSC; 4 Aug 2007 at 15:28.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:27 (Ref:1980655)   #133
pottiella
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Thank you, Down F0rce!

Well, if they penalize FA, then they need to penalize BMW as Heidfeld held up Kubica...

At this rate, AD should be on pole unless they penalize him for going faster than Taku...
and fisichella held up yamamoto in Q1!!!!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:29 (Ref:1980657)   #134
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzer
So if Alonso is penalised, what rule will he have broken, something to do with 'deliberate' blocking?
Agreable decision though. If 'team orders' aren't allowed, then that implies that all drivers need to behave on an independant basis.

So if a driver should take action against his team mate, surely he should be accountable for that as well.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:29 (Ref:1980658)   #135
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Why don't they just reverse the grid.At least Massa will be happy.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:32 (Ref:1980660)   #136
pottiella
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella
and fisichella held up yamamoto in Q1!!!!
lol and I was kidding as well!!

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...opic=8&catid=0
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:32 (Ref:1980661)   #137
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
And how exactly did FA do that Hazard? I mean, how can you prove it?

The track is tight, traffic a problem. It makes emminent sense to hold someone in the pits to get a clear run. Further, it is not FA's choice as to when Lewis pits. That is Lewis' choice. To imply that this is all FA's doing also implies that Lewis doesn't have a lick of sense either - he could have come in at any time in order to AVOID FA being in the pits.

Face it, Lewis got outsmarted...
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1980662)   #138
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was disgusting by Alonso. I am 100% sure it he intended it.

One, the lollipop guy came out the way. He was told many times by pit crews and mechanics to go.

As soon as the lollipop man moved out the way Alonso glanced at Lewis who was waiting behind. He did it for roughly 1.5 seconds then looked back.

At around 5 seconds he reved the engine and moved a few inches then waited another 5 seconds.

It was disgusting and unsporting. I would compare it to what MS did because Fernando didn't allow his team mate to set a fast time in the last stint.

Hamilton missed it by 4 seconds so in theory he roughly would have had 6 seconds in his pocket and it was timed right.

I now have zero respect for Alonso, he knew Lewis was faster and all this cheering he did just disgusted me. I now have zero respect for him and quite frankly I know Mclaren have given him a major telling off and I'm sure Fernando will be annoyed so he may leave at the end of the year as he is a bad loser.

A champion shouldn't do this.

I hope the FIA put him at the back of the grid as it should be classified as blocking.

If not I hope Lewis takes him out! or Mclaren tell Alonso he can't fight Lewis for the win after doing what he did.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1980664)   #139
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

The track is tight, traffic a problem. It makes emminent sense to hold someone in the pits to get a clear run. Further, it is not FA's choice as to when Lewis pits. That is Lewis' choice. To imply that this is all FA's doing also implies that Lewis doesn't have a lick of sense either - he could have come in at any time in order to AVOID FA being in the pits.

You cannot blame Lewis!

He wasn't to know Fernando would do that, Mclaren are a a proper team and it is a team sport. What he did was unfair and disgusting. A champion shouldn't do it.

Mclaren decided when to pit their drivers.....it wasn't Lewis! Lewis wouldn't have known to the second to come in, its all worked out by the team.

Last edited by luke; 4 Aug 2007 at 15:40.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1980665)   #140
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you, Down F0rce!

Sorry, can't agree with that.

Queueing in the pits has to happen as theres only one crew for 2 cars. You take take your tyres and go. You don't sit there picking your nose and adjusting the radio whilst your team mate sits behind you!

If he gets penalised then he deserves it.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:41 (Ref:1980670)   #141
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella

That's funny. Apparently he was held up for the entire lap. As I viewed it, Yamamoto was having trouble keeping up! It was only when Fisi slowed at the end to get a clear lap, that he blocked him

Last edited by Alan Raine; 4 Aug 2007 at 15:50.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:42 (Ref:1980671)   #142
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Erm, don't get me wrong - I think it was a brilliant move!

But I'm just saying in all fairness, and considering the team orders 'ruling', an investigation is warranted. I'd be dissapointed in any negative outcome, because it would be saying games like this can't be played - and it's these games that often make the sport.

I think they can have data to prove the radio men said go, and Alonso didn't push anything if that's how it happened.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:54 (Ref:1980679)   #143
pottiella
Veteran

you guys need to get over yourselves...what he did, intentional towards lewis or not (even though I'm convinced it was against the team for holding him up previously rather than Lewis) it was hardly anything of great potential consequence - like dangerous. He's not running anyone off the road, he's not stopping on track (which is also dangerous), and he wasn't even causing lewis any harm in the pits as teammates queue up all the time.

I'm not condoning what he did (as I dont agree with what he did), but people are making this out to be way more than it really is. He did something cheeky, and even if it was for lewis, then fine call it cheating but its as mildly underhanded as almost EVERY great champion has been involved in. Again it doesn't make it any better, but it seems to me people are just using it as a great opportunity to have a go at Alonso like they've wanted to for so long but found nothing but "whinging" to critisize.

I personally think its all hilarious and is making a dull hungarian GP brilliant like last year! Oh not to mention the trandition raw F1-standard rivarly and bitterness we haven't seen in years!!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:58 (Ref:1980680)   #144
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Disgusting". The word of outrage.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 16:01 (Ref:1980682)   #145
pottiella
Veteran

haha, you gotta love the way McLaren have reacted:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61359

almost like nothing happened in their own little bubble and completely oblivious to the hurricane blowing outside!! Classic McLaren..
Old 4 Aug 2007, 16:01 (Ref:1980683)   #146
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso: blocking or orders?

Well thats a new way blocking another driver.
Do you think this was done with the intention of stopping lewis having another lap.
Will the stewards be looking at all the audio & tech evidence to see if this was intentional blocking.
If he is guilty of blocking the pit box,should this carry the same penalty as blocking on the track.

From what i seen on the tv,it looked as if he was blocking the pit box,
why would Ron get his knickers in a twist if it was team orders...

Your Thoughts on this
Old 4 Aug 2007, 16:07 (Ref:1980685)   #147
Ty Nicholson
Racer

Ty Nicholson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect the usual McLaren PR machine to go into top gear with a "we are a team united......" announcment but what would I give to have been privy to the Dennis/Alonso post Q3 "Chat"
Old 4 Aug 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1980686)   #148
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

Jon Lincoln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well I think that may be right but if I were Ron Dennis (in fact I'm at least half is age and much better looking, even if I say so myself) I'd be keen to ensure that my drivers drive for my team and not just for themselves.

Todays actions by Alonso prove he's got balls but Ron will be furious. Forget the FIA, they're a joke, but don't get on the wrong end of Ron. This personal trainer guy has just sat on the pitwall for the last time methinks!

Isn't this all just great entertainment though? F1 is such good value this year. To quote Ronald McDonald 'I'm lovin' it'. I digress - has anyone ever seen Ronald McDonald and Michael Jackson together? Hmm...
Old 4 Aug 2007, 16:08 (Ref:1980688)   #149
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh well, back of the grid for Fernando (we may as well say it will happen).

Yawn.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1980690)   #150
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Oh well, back of the grid for Fernando (we may as well say it will happen).

Yawn.
Nah, if any penalty - they'd probably dock him only 10. Maybe just the one even if they found it at all entertaining.

He'll barely benefit anyway - Hamilton will have more fuel then him and will probably snatch the lead on the first stop anyway.