Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Apr 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3900354)   #76
JDMROB
Racer

JDMROB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange 3 races. Bit too much of a crash fest to class them as "good" personally.

Race 3 why did Plato think going to the outside at the start at turn 1 was ever going to be a good idea?
Old 29 Apr 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3900401)   #77
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMROB View Post
Strange 3 races. Bit too much of a crash fest to class them as "good" personally.

Race 3 why did Plato think going to the outside at the start at turn 1 was ever going to be a good idea?
He was on the "wrong" tyre for the race so he knew he wouldn't have the grip. He said before the race that the main aim would probably be to protect Collard who was on the "right" tyre. Given Collard was on the inside he probably just wanted to give him as much room as possible. Worked out ok for Plato in the end. He had a good battle with cars/drivers he couldn't get near last year.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3900415)   #78
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
That BMW 3 series is so good already, at only the second race weekend of its life. Hats off to the team. Customer teams keep on buying up Dynamics Civics, but I wonder if it would cost a lot more to get a BMW made instead?
Old 29 Apr 2019, 08:37 (Ref:3900418)   #79
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
That BMW 3 series is so good already, at only the second race weekend of its life. Hats off to the team. Customer teams keep on buying up Dynamics Civics, but I wonder if it would cost a lot more to get a BMW made instead?
I can't imagine the difference is that much - otherwise it would not have been a route for Parker to take.

At the moment though, when teams are weighing up options.
Ex-Dynamics Civics have taken the drivers' championship and many race wins. I can't recall any Ex-WSR BMW taking a race win, let alone a title in any form.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 08:42 (Ref:3900419)   #80
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair the BMWs look ridiculously quick in a straight line. Can't just be put down to the aero as I noticed Jelley just dragging by a couple of people on the straights as well. Hope it gets sorted as I think they might just run away once they get the car fully sorted.

I was a bit gutted last year when it was announced that success ballast was being reduced, but happy to give it a chance. It's looking so far like it's not making as much difference. Would prefer them to just drop the different tyre compounds.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3900421)   #81
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If anything the VW looks the quickest in a straight line due to it's shape if what I saw yesterday is anything to go by
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3900422)   #82
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
To be fair the BMWs look ridiculously quick in a straight line. Can't just be put down to the aero as I noticed Jelley just dragging by a couple of people on the straights as well. Hope it gets sorted as I think they might just run away once they get the car fully sorted.
The speed in a straight line will be a result of aero, traction, power, momentum and other factors.

The speed traps do not show a huge disparity.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:05 (Ref:3900424)   #83
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
If anything the VW looks the quickest in a straight line due to it's shape if what I saw yesterday is anything to go by
A quick glance at the official timing suggests that the two fastest cars on the grid (in terms of straight line speed) are the Dynamics Honda and Motorbase Ford.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3900425)   #84
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Sad to see all the destruction in races 1 and 2. I also think from a paying spectator's point of view, seeing half of the race behind safety car probably isn't the best thing, as you only see a handful of racing laps. I really think that first race accident should have been a red flag.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:21 (Ref:3900428)   #85
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Unfortunately the straight lines taken by the VWs seemed to be straight into the tyre barriers yesterday.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:37 (Ref:3900433)   #86
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Unfortunately the straight lines taken by the VWs seemed to be straight into the tyre barriers yesterday.
They can't be that quick. If Hamilton was quick enough to hit Goff from behind, then the Ford is clearly quicker. It would probably help if the VW's line had been in the same direction as the circuit though....
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3900435)   #87
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
They can't be that quick. If Hamilton was quick enough to hit Goff from behind, then the Ford is clearly quicker. It would probably help if the VW's line had been in the same direction as the circuit though....
Except he didn’t ....
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3900436)   #88
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Jack Goff
@jgmotorsport
Just wanted to apologise if it came across like I put the blame on
@nicolashamilton
in my interview. He had no where to go when I came back onto the track in R3.

Racing is an emotional roller coaster and sometimes our emotions get the better of us. #JG31 #BTCC
@BTCC

@Motorbase
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3900438)   #89
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Sad to see all the destruction in races 1 and 2. I also think from a paying spectator's point of view, seeing half of the race behind safety car probably isn't the best thing, as you only see a handful of racing laps. I really think that first race accident should have been a red flag.
The race length was extended after the 1st safety car. With 2 safety car stints in one race, you only lost 3 laps out 16 at best.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 10:04 (Ref:3900440)   #90
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Except he didn’t ....
Quote:
It would probably help if the VW's line had been in the same direction as the circuit though....
Not all posts should be taken as literal, perhaps the was missed?

I refer you to a post made yesterday:
Quote:
Even more amazing, when you compare the narrative to the replay, is Goff's claim that Hamilton pushed him wide and then hit the back of him!
Old 29 Apr 2019, 10:11 (Ref:3900442)   #91
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Racing is an emotional roller coaster and sometimes our emotions get the better of us.
Something that can be true of posters as well as drivers.

In serious thought though - is it always wise to put someone in front of the camera when their emotions are still charged?
Mike Jordan's comments about drivers down the field (particularly Collard) seemed to be fuelled by his concern for his son's health at the time.

Having had time to change and gather his thoughts, perhaps Goff may not be deserving of as much sympathy, but maybe a bit of thought should also go into what is deserving of airtime from the producers? Paul O'Neill seemed rather uncomfortable at times with the amount of focus itv were giving to on-track collisions.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3900444)   #92
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I also think from a paying spectator's point of view, seeing half of the race behind safety car probably isn't the best thing, as you only see a handful of racing laps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
The race length was extended after the 1st safety car. With 2 safety car stints in one race, you only lost 3 laps out 16 at best.
Interesting stat from the results.

All three rounds saw 13 green flag laps, and 6 SC laps.

So a total of 9 laps of racing were 'lost' during the day from a total of 48.
In other teams - over half a race was lost across the course of the day, but we still saw 39 laps of racing (or 80% of the planned).
Old 29 Apr 2019, 10:25 (Ref:3900446)   #93
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Having had time to change and gather his thoughts, perhaps Goff may not be deserving of as much sympathy, but maybe a bit of thought should also go into what is deserving of airtime from the producers? Paul O'Neill seemed rather uncomfortable at times with the amount of focus itv were giving to on-track collisions.
I still think Goff is a Dick and his apology does not go far enough. Mike Jordan was clearly very concerned for his son, and so would I be, I feel it was inappropriate to shove a microphone in his face at that time.

To me the replays of the Ginetta shunt were out of order. There is no way itv's producers knew Fin Green or the driver of #15's condition when they started the replays. One driver was on a stretcher on the circuit receiving triage still.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 10:49 (Ref:3900447)   #94
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The highlight of the weekend was Tim Harvey saying what sounded like "Josh Cookie's car". Classic.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 11:10 (Ref:3900450)   #95
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hat tip to Rob Smith too for doing a solid job.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 11:20 (Ref:3900452)   #96
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
The highlight of the weekend was Tim Harvey saying what sounded like "Josh Cookie's car". Classic.
For me it was the Toca Radio commentary during FP2. It was a red flag with cars returning to the pits and the commentators were trying to work out who was missing. One said he thought he had seen a car on the infield and suspected Bobby Thompson had stooped to do his hair.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3900453)   #97
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I still think Goff is a Dick and his apology does not go far enough. Mike Jordan was clearly very concerned for his son, and so would I be, I feel it was inappropriate to shove a microphone in his face at that time.
If it was my son and the concern that high, I would have been at the hospital.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 11:32 (Ref:3900456)   #98
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
If it was my son and the concern that high, I would have been at the hospital.
Possibly getting in the way, causing a distraction for the medical professionals and preventing them from getting on with providing care?

We are not aware of what conversation had taken place between Mike and his son immediately following the accident, or what he had been informed and advised by the medical staff.

Either way - probably not the best time to request a tv interview.

There is a big difference between:
a) bringing an update from the garage on the possible future, and extent of damage, to a piece of machinery.
b) bringing an update from a family member on the possible condition and extent of damage to the health and well being of a driver.

One of them has potential to enhance the viewer's understanding, the other is crass tv production.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 12:13 (Ref:3900463)   #99
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Possibly getting in the way, causing a distraction for the medical professionals and preventing them from getting on with providing care?

We are not aware of what conversation had taken place between Mike and his son immediately following the accident, or what he had been informed and advised by the medical staff.

Either way - probably not the best time to request a tv interview.

There is a big difference between:
a) bringing an update from the garage on the possible future, and extent of damage, to a piece of machinery.
b) bringing an update from a family member on the possible condition and extent of damage to the health and well being of a driver.

One of them has potential to enhance the viewer's understanding, the other is crass tv production.
It is possible to go to with someone to a hospital without getting in the way.
I'm sure Mike would have refused the interview if he didn't want it.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3900529)   #100
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hapless Amateur Racing Drivers? That summed up lap one of race 3 for me.....