Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 8 Oct 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3932730)   #51
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
Autosprout now £10.99 per week!
Surely not?

I used to buy it a lot 20 years ago or so when it was about £2 a week.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 16:22 (Ref:3932738)   #52
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Surely not?

I used to buy it a lot 20 years ago or so when it was about £2 a week.
Was £2.60 in 1999. MN £1.60 IIRC.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 16:27 (Ref:3932740)   #53
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How did they believe that was going to work, raising the price to 11 quid? If I was an advertiser, I'd call tomorrow and ask for my money back. No one is buying this at 11 quid.... I'll read it for free and WH Smith and they won't collect a single quid, yet they've spent the money printing it. This makes zero sense. And, they've upset loads of they customers....
Old 8 Oct 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3932744)   #54
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
But won't they still have a place on the t'interweb?

That said as far as historics/hillclimbs and rallies are concerned Retro-Speed magazine may find its readership increase.
These people have a living to make. Most internet websites don't pay a penny and want something for nothing. You can't pay the bills on a byline to a photo or article.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 17:10 (Ref:3932749)   #55
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
[QUOTE=midgetman;3932626]That's really unfair. It's 2019 not 1969, no matter how much we wish otherwise.

Surely the problems of today are far more important than the victories of years ago? We can't affect what's happened but we can be interested in and try to influence what's happening.

As for fans only watching F1, I've no real interest in football or rugby but sometimes watch the top international games. Should I be banned from doing so because I don't also read about Dagenham Boadecias playing the Bromham Owl Appreciation Society in the Southern Zone 2 Wednesday League for Left Footed Players? If doesn't make me a bad person.

And your point about "rarely posting in tribute threads" really has echoes of my Woolworths comment earlier on. ]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well ,stuff like Shelsley, Prescott , Cadwell, Croft and Mallory still go on most weeks in 2019 but you'd never know ,as Autosport tends now to prefer reports on the Patagonian Pickup series, or another doomed single make series in somewhere you've never heard of to pad out the F1 gossip . .

Watching international ball games doesn't make you a bad person - I am sure you are charm personified - but if that is all you watch I might suggest you are a dilettante (as I am on many things ) and not a real enthusiast of the...umm ...'beautiful game'.

Just look at the letters page in Autosport to see what it has become - 99% about F1 ,and usually at its most trivial.

What made Autosport , at its best, such a great read , was that a GP report would be juxtaposed with the report of the event I went to last weekend . But it was showing sighs of improvement of late ,and I mourn its passing.
Old 8 Oct 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3932750)   #56
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Thanks Peter ! Must have at least 30 years of Autosport in my storeroom can;t remember when I last looked at one any offers?
Old 8 Oct 2019, 18:22 (Ref:3932763)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorentina 1 View Post
How did they believe that was going to work, raising the price to 11 quid? If I was an advertiser, I'd call tomorrow and ask for my money back. No one is buying this at 11 quid.... I'll read it for free and WH Smith and they won't collect a single quid, yet they've spent the money printing it. This makes zero sense. And, they've upset loads of they customers....
These days it's a struggle to even see a copy at my local WH Smiths......
Old 8 Oct 2019, 20:14 (Ref:3932788)   #58
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So all we’ve heard from the horse’s mouth is that the price is going up. Interesting
Old 9 Oct 2019, 07:39 (Ref:3932863)   #59
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With my cynical hat on I have to suspect the ridiculous price proposal is so they can claim that subscribers have received a product with a total value equal to the payment given.It would avoid the need for refunds.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3932875)   #60
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
With my cynical hat on I have to suspect the ridiculous price proposal is so they can claim that subscribers have received a product with a total value equal to the payment given.It would avoid the need for refunds.
Good call, I hadn't thought of that (and it's not often that I'm out-cynic'd!)
Old 9 Oct 2019, 09:00 (Ref:3932877)   #61
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Was wondering how they'd handle subscribers on direct debit - and the cynic in me sees this as being a likely way they'll do it.

Either way absence of any communication from them seems really poor - a simple suggestion of a migration path for subscribers from print to Autosport online only, or even to a new online service would, in all honesty, probably have worked for me, as things stand cancellation of entire subscription seems likely, and there's pronounced frustration on my part that there's no way of doing this online.

Always amazing that previously successful businesses can fail in simultaneously totally avoidable and totally uncontrolled ways.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 12:58 (Ref:3932912)   #62
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ZB steps down from the Motorsport Network:

https://twitter.com/ZBrownCEO/status...80225568829440

timing is interesting.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3932917)   #63
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cancelled my direct debit subscription today and have had notification that I will receive publications until and upto the end date of 24th October.

When asked why I was cancelling I said that at the new cover price I expected them to come and read it to me!

Pete Richards
Old 9 Oct 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3932931)   #64
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just contacted autosport and been told that the subscriber rate has not changed. 13 issues for around £35 with the next payment for me in January.

I think that they intend to keep subscribers on the same rate until the death and then look at options for switching them to online.

the problem seems to be that this is been incredibly badly managed and communicated.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3932935)   #65
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davec View Post
I have just contacted autosport and been told that the subscriber rate has not changed. 13 issues for around £35 with the next payment for me in January.

I think that they intend to keep subscribers on the same rate until the death and then look at options for switching them to online.

the problem seems to be that this is been incredibly badly managed and communicated.
The other problem could be that as the company that arranges the subscriptions is (I think) separate to the one that actually publishes the magazine they may not actually know what's going on anyway...
Old 9 Oct 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3932940)   #66
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
The other problem could be that as the company that arranges the subscriptions is (I think) separate to the one that actually publishes the magazine they may not actually know what's going on anyway...
That is correct I believe. They told me that they started getting phone calls cancelling subscriptions before being informed of the situation by Autosport. Looking into it more I think that they have to honour the "subscription cycle" that you are in so in my case I have just paid for another 13 issues in September so there is not much they can do about it now apart from cancel it for me or refund the money. They cannot increase the price of the 13 issues that they have already "sold" me in advance.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3932951)   #67
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think he wants to get involved in the backlash. The anti Autosport twitter activity has been staggering. The knee jerk decision by, I assume Yavor Efremov, has been getting a lot of negative reaction. At the end of the day, this dude is a banker, ex-lawyer who probably (most likely) never seen a copy of Autosport before interviewing for CEO. You don't put someone like that in charge of Autosport/ Motorsport/ Duke Video/ Motors TV/ the hundred other racing companies they bought. Think about it, is Dr. Dre and ex-Yale graduate, Goldman Sachs exec? No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
ZB steps down from the Motorsport Network:

https://twitter.com/ZBrownCEO/status...80225568829440

timing is interesting.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3933080)   #68
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Zak Brown does have enough interest in motorsport to care. In today’s Autosport there’s a message from the owner of Motorsport Network, explaining it’s now making online content the priority, which is the reason for the price hike
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3933102)   #69
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Cancelled subscription today, while the subs price may have remained the same until the death I'd no real interest in being complicit in what's being done to a once great brand. To their credit the subscription handling people were hugely professional, and while I'm sure they'll be fine (I've no illusions that they're Motorsport Network employees) it does reinforce the point that people will lose their jobs over this, and that's the real shame of it.

Being more positive, it frees up a bit of cash I can now legitimately go and spend on something that might be a bit more edifying, interesting, and in line with my values. Rouleur perhaps?
Old 10 Oct 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3933103)   #70
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Zak Brown does have enough interest in motorsport to care. In today’s Autosport there’s a message from the owner of Motorsport Network, explaining it’s now making online content the priority, which is the reason for the price hike
I'm making it so expensive for you plebs , just so that I can force you to take an online subscription.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3933107)   #71
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm making it so expensive for you plebs , just so that I can force you to take an online subscription.
Also my exact thought. Makes the online subs look a 'bargain.'
Old 10 Oct 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3933136)   #72
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Ya, but that will backfire big time. I was ready to give it a go after seeing 20 (yes 20) ads for it in this months F1 Racing magazine. But, after that (censored) move of charging 11 quid I decided against it just out of pure spite! F-that and f-them....

They'll never recover from that. I'm just glad that Zak Brown never became the 'new' Bernie.... He managed to kill Autosport magazine.... You don't mix bankers and lawyers and racing. All these 'sharks' were racers in the first place before they became businessman, not the other way around. There is a difference and sadly Zak Brown got greedy and forgot.... You put a real Donald Trump in charge of Autosport Magazine and now it's dead.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 18:29 (Ref:3933155)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Screen shot of the ‘note to readers’ today....
Attached Thumbnails
2D936D03-921C-4A29-8BCC-6BA3B7DF2AE6.png  
Old 10 Oct 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3933158)   #74
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All I can say is 'Pah'.......
Old 10 Oct 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3933159)   #75
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
At the moment, there is a way to read the print copy without having to pay that cover price, but on a tablet or PC. It requires a monthly subscription (that is less than the cost of one week’s edition). The app gives access to hundreds (maybe thousands) of other magazines from around the world as well......