Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest F1 driver?
Lewis Hamilton 22 22.00%
Michael Schumacher 11 11.00%
Juan Manuel Fangio 6 6.00%
Alain Prost 7 7.00%
Ayrton Senna 22 22.00%
Jackie Stewart 0 0%
Jim Clark 17 17.00%
Alberto Ascari 0 0%
Fernando Alonso 1 1.00%
Niki Lauda 3 3.00%
Stirling Moss 2 2.00%
Sebastian Vettel 0 0%
Nigel Mansell 1 1.00%
Nelson Piquet 0 0%
James Hunt 0 0%
Mika Hakkinen 0 0%
Giles Villeneuve 2 2.00%
Max Verstappen 0 0%
Nico Rosberg 0 0%
Jack Brabham 4 4.00%
Carlos Reutemann 0 0%
Jochen Rindt 0 0%
Ronnie Peterson 1 1.00%
Kimi Raikkonen 1 1.00%
Graham Hill 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Aug 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4067810)   #451
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't understand the connection. De Cesaris's motorcycle accident was in October 2014 and Bianchi's accident was in July 2015.
Bianchi died in July 2015 after nine months in a coma but the actual accident happened the same week as De Cesaris' death.
Old 19 Aug 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4067815)   #452
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Bianchi died in July 2015 after nine months in a coma but the actual accident happened the same week as De Cesaris' death.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 19 Aug 2021, 20:20 (Ref:4067931)   #453
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Where were you that day, what were you doing?

I was at home checking for updates on Bianchi’s condition
Old 19 Aug 2021, 20:21 (Ref:4067932)   #454
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post

Not just the same week, but the same day.
Old 20 Aug 2021, 06:47 (Ref:4068008)   #455
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Sad as that connection is, neither driver could be relative to the title of this thread.
Old 20 Aug 2021, 13:47 (Ref:4068078)   #456
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'd say Fangio. If you include the feats achieved and the degree of danger he would've had to brave through to achieve those feats. He also had to win when he was older and in differing machinery. I put Clark next, then Senna.
Old 20 Aug 2021, 14:05 (Ref:4068082)   #457
S griffin
Veteran

It says a lot about Fangio that Senna wanted to match, but not beat el Maestro’s records of titles. A legend forever
Old 15 Sep 2021, 15:18 (Ref:4074097)   #458
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the Schumy doc drops on Netflix today (not sure if its for all regions or not though).

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQs9ZtdZjY0

havent yet seen it but it struck me that these sorts of docs (like the acclaimed Senna doc) have the power to reintroduce a past individual to a new generation and ultimately respark the GOAT debate but can also shift how the conversation will play out as the story is re framed for both an old and new audience.

one thing i am looking forwards to is that more then the Senna doc , TGF's time in F1 crossed over into an age of internet communication and much higher production and resolution values. so ?i cant wait to see what they were able to pull from the F1 archive particularly if they will have any remastered footage and behind the scenes stuff!

while i hope its an honest retelling i also hoping to learn something new.
Old 16 Sep 2021, 00:04 (Ref:4074153)   #459
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
the Schumy doc drops on Netflix today (not sure if its for all regions or not though).

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQs9ZtdZjY0

havent yet seen it but it struck me that these sorts of docs (like the acclaimed Senna doc) have the power to reintroduce a past individual to a new generation and ultimately respark the GOAT debate but can also shift how the conversation will play out as the story is re framed for both an old and new audience.

one thing i am looking forwards to is that more then the Senna doc , TGF's time in F1 crossed over into an age of internet communication and much higher production and resolution values. so ?i cant wait to see what they were able to pull from the F1 archive particularly if they will have any remastered footage and behind the scenes stuff!

while i hope its an honest retelling i also hoping to learn something new.
I watched it last night. Was very well done.
Without saying too much, the last 10mins will punch you in the face with emotions.
Old 16 Sep 2021, 00:58 (Ref:4074156)   #460
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Without saying too much, the last 10mins will punch you in the face with emotions.
In that case, on your recommendation, its a must watch for me.
Old 16 Sep 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4074230)   #461
S griffin
Veteran

Autosport did a good view of it. Here's the link, but be warned it contains spoilers

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/re...1-ace/6667958/
Old 17 Sep 2021, 18:05 (Ref:4074370)   #462
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
i liked it as well! well done and very balanced between racing and his personal life. i want to say it was all very subdued but a better description would be that none of it was an attempt to sensational.

and yes lots of feels at the end there.

i feel like there was a choice made to soften his image a bit? more humanizing more working class hero type narrative?
Old 17 Sep 2021, 23:29 (Ref:4074405)   #463
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i feel like there was a choice made to soften his image a bit? more humanizing more working class hero type narrative?

Agreed. A very good insight into Schumi as a family man but very little coverage of some of the more outrageous incidents where the win at all costs attitude was on display.
The interviews recorded just after the death of Senna and how it affected him puts a side of him that was never made obvious at the time.

Well worth a watch and adds some fleshing to what we all remember.
Not as good, or as thorough as the Senna doco.
Old 18 Sep 2021, 09:13 (Ref:4074457)   #464
S griffin
Veteran

I heard it's good at seeing the side of Schumi we hardly saw behind the public persona
Old 28 Sep 2021, 21:42 (Ref:4076202)   #465
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Daniel Ricciardo. No contest. End thread.
Old 28 Sep 2021, 22:06 (Ref:4076206)   #466
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Er, no.......
Old 29 Sep 2021, 19:14 (Ref:4076335)   #467
S griffin
Veteran

He’s the greatest at the shoey….
Old 30 Sep 2021, 09:00 (Ref:4076386)   #468
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
ahh but which shoey is greatest?
Old 30 Sep 2021, 09:38 (Ref:4076388)   #469
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
He only follows in the (soggy) footsteps of David Reynolds, Jack Miller and Valentino Rossi........
Old 30 Sep 2021, 20:16 (Ref:4076450)   #470
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
He only follows in the (soggy) footsteps of David Reynolds, Jack Miller and Valentino Rossi........
Nothing original in this world - they only follow in the footsteps of Australian Rugby players, where it is quite a tradition - they in turn may even be following in someone else's footsteps.
Old 30 Sep 2021, 20:50 (Ref:4076451)   #471
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I have promised my hockey team to do a shoey next time we win a match in honour of Daniel Ricciardo, as unfortunately our last win was around the time of his last in Monaco (until Monza, of course)
Old 1 Oct 2021, 08:16 (Ref:4076487)   #472
S griffin
Veteran

Billy Monger has pioneered the leggy though
Old 1 Oct 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4076499)   #473
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wins an titles don't say everything about a driver in F1, because it all depends on beeing lucky enough to have the best car, Hamilton was lucky enough to get into the team that won most races since 2014, Schumacher would not have won as many titles without Brawn and Byrne.

You would never know who is best without having all drivers in the same cars.

But I personaly voted for Senna
Old 1 Oct 2021, 12:40 (Ref:4076510)   #474
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Wins an titles don't say everything about a driver in F1, because it all depends on beeing lucky enough to have the best car, Hamilton was lucky enough to get into the team that won most races since 2014, Schumacher would not have won as many titles without Brawn and Byrne.

You would never know who is best without having all drivers in the same cars.

But I personaly voted for Senna
Luck or hard work and talent?

Its amazing how Lucky the best in the world are. Its also amazing how teams with the best car waste all that money on drivers if they can pay a pittance for someone like Mazespin to win the championship for them.

The best drivers, end up in the best teams, who employ the best engineers, mechanics and staff to build and run the best cars.

Its a team sport which relies on every component to work at its highest level.

People often use Tennis as an example of an individual sport, take Federer for instance. if it was so individual then why spend all that money hiring the best physios, trainers, managers, racket technicians etc... and on the flip side, how did he manage to work with those people in the first place? because of natural talent.

I suppose im trying to say that the greats always gravitate to great teams, engineers, cars...maintaining that like Schumacher, Hamilton have done is what truely sets them apart. (and yes Senna, who i suspect could have nicked a few more off Schumacher if it wasnt for his untimely passing).

Im not one that subscribes to a GOAT very often. ESPECIALLY in F1.

How can you compare Fangio to Lewis....i doubt even fangio could fit into a modern f1 car, let alone survive the g forces and heat of a race, cope with the engineering de briefs, have the mental agility to turn hundreds of dials or cope with the media frenzy of modern F1...

....likewise i doubt Lewis would survive long enough to get 5 championships in the 50s.

Different eras, different greats....Greatest of their generation is probably as close as we can get.

Fangio, Clark, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Hamilton.
Old 1 Oct 2021, 12:59 (Ref:4076513)   #475
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Surely one needs a top level documentary running on one of the major streaming sites to be considered a GOAT.

Netflix now has a Schumi one and a Fangio one they put out last year i think. Amazon prime has the rights to Senna film now plus have a pretty fun Alonso series.

This is the future. Without a clear consensus number 1 answer, the drivers whose stories best fill the current medium of choice with content will be the future king.

Might seem like im joking but this is how history is manufactured.